ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:18 am 
Novice
Novice

Some guy comes up to me, one of the regulars at the gym. This guy is built really well. He said to me, "I watched you squatting, and you have really great form, its not often that you see that around here."

He right about not seeing many people squat. Most people in the gym only seem to work their gunz. I can only think of about 12 people that I have ever seen squat in the gym. And of those people, I have only seen about 4 of them squat with good form, to at least parallel, with a decent amount of weight, in the power cage, and not on the smith machine or squat machine.

Made me feel pretty good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:01 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Nice! I know I've had several people tell me to be careful doing squats cause I could blow out my knee or hurt my back, etc. I've just always gone about half way down instead of all the way. I have bad knees though from basketball so maybe I shouldn't go all the way.

Compliments are always nice, they affirm what we're doing is working or correct!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:10 am 

This has been discussed before but with squats you should go as low as your flexibility allows. Limit the weight you lift to ensure good form while you are working on this. Many people do partial squats with too much weight. This is where you risk injury the most. Squatting with bad form, even partial squats, will stress your knees and back more than a properly executed squat to full depth.
http://www.alwyncosgrove.com/leg-training-myths.html