ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Self defence is a basic human right.
I strongly agree. 93%  93%  [ 26 ]
I somewhat agree. 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
I disagree. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:06 pm 

TimD wrote:
Why conceal? Where I grew up in northern California in he 1950's, we all had gun racks and there was no concealment about it, and the crime rates were negligible. We didn't even lock the doors at night. (Oh yeah, the term "redneck" has been applied to me before).
Tim

While I agree with you, and OPEN Carry is allowed in my state, We Carry Concealed (legally, with a permit) now to make the Left Wingers feel more secure, because they cannot SEE that we have a weapon.

Isn't that some great logic..

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ryan A wrote:
Now I see. Yes, I think black markets are something that should have more thought put into them.

Unfortunately, it seems like a hard thing to address, although I think any effort would be better than what is occurring now.

The current black market is the main source of the problem. Where do you think gun smuggling money comes from? You have some good controls to stop the crazy people. Then you address the black market to cut off the funding for crime, including smuggling illegal weapons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:30 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Personally, I prefer the element of surprise to the deterance value of open carry. Meanwhile, I just don't think open carry is practical in most settings.

For example, there was a case in Pennsylvania recently where a woman chose to carry openly in a public park. Although she broke no law, the police ended up confiscating her weapon (illegally) and charging her with either disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace (I don't remember which). The charges were later dropped, the weapon returned, and I believe she ended up suing the township.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:45 pm 

Matt Z wrote:
Personally, I prefer the element of surprise to the deterance value of open carry. Meanwhile, I just don't think open carry is practical in most settings.

For example, there was a case in Pennsylvania recently where a woman chose to carry openly in a public park. Although she broke no law, the police ended up confiscating her weapon (illegally) and charging her with either disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace (I don't remember which). The charges were later dropped, the weapon returned, and I believe she ended up suing the township.

Your Example proves my point. We conceal to make others feel more secure.

Even in Pro Gun states, most of the larger cities and police departments are Anti "Open Carry" and will find a reason to question or detain anyone openly carrying. A Concealed weapon does not attract the same attention, from onlookers or law enforcement.

On the contrary, most smaller towns or Rural communities could care less if you open carry. At least that is how it is around here.

Cliff

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9