ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Self defence is a basic human right.
I strongly agree. 93%  93%  [ 26 ]
I somewhat agree. 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
I disagree. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:14 pm 
Offline
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:04 am
Posts: 3129
Location: Va Beach, Va
I think there should be some regulation, basically on fully automatics, however, the law abiding people will follow the laws, the criminals won't. I'd feel much safer if EVERYONE was REQUIRED to carry a gun. You'd see crime drop way off. I'm retired now, twice over, but since I took my father in to care for him, I drive a cab at night for supplementation in this crappy economy, I can tell you I'd fel a whole lot safer if I was carrying (I'm not going to say if I do or do not, but figure it out, BTW I'm a Vietnam vetran, so figure the odds).
Tim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:22 pm 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Posts: 4393
Location: Pennsylvania
My point is that banning something doesn't make it go away. Cocaine and heroin are both very illegal, and both are pretty easy to get.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:54 pm 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Posts: 4393
Location: Pennsylvania
By the way, I really hate the term "Gun Violence." The emphasis is always on the guns and not the violence. Think about it ... Whenever you hear a speech or read an article on gun violence it always ends up being a call for increased gun control (or outright prohibition). However, when you think about it, it makes sense. If the author/speaker were really interested in reducing violence, they would concern themselves with ALL violent crimes, whether or not they involve firearms.

This brings up something else I've noticed. ..... For the really hardcore proponents of gun control, gun control is more than just a means of reducing violent crime, it's an end in itself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:33 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am
Posts: 3983
I'm a pro gun liberal. I really don't understand the liberal religion of the anti-gun. So these people believe creating a black market is a bad thing.... EXCEPT GUNS!! That's very silly I think.

It's very easy to see who is right on any issue. It's side arguing logic. THe other side is usually all hysteria and emotion.

While I have fired guns before I have never owned any.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:54 am 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am
Posts: 3474
I'm Pro Knife :grin:

I always wonder how Scotland will deal with the knife thing. It's not like they can make them illegal. How else do you cook?

KPj


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:17 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am
Posts: 3983
That's just it. Where does it end? People always go on some stupid tangent and completely ignore the actual problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:59 am 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
Posts: 1991
Location: Texas
Ironman wrote:
I'm a ...... liberal.

It's very easy to see who is right on any issue. It's side arguing logic. THe other side is usually all hysteria and emotion.



You are correct my friend. The right is usually the one arguing the side of logic and the other side is usually all hysteria and emotion. :lol:

(Sorry Ironman, I couldn't help myself)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:34 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am
Posts: 3983
Well on the gun issue maybe. The rest of the time the right is arguing about their religion and how that seems to trump everything else on every other issue. They don't seem to be sure if the Democrats are fascists or socialists, proving they have no idea what that means. then they put on this big show about who can project the most patriotism, like it's an Uncle Sam ass kissing competition. Then everyone who doesn't want to participate are evil and should be deported. Then without missing a beat, they say how they want the country to fail because the Democrats are in charge. When the shoe was on the other foot it was all about "You guys should support the president anyway". Then of course the security issues were an anything goes kind of thing, torture, warrantless wire tapping, holding people without charge and so on, but they can't tolerate a translator in the army who admits being gay. They whine and cry all the time about social issues like keeping gays from getting married, stopping stem cell research, letting Focus on the family work censorship into our media, getting intelligent design into science class and so on. Because obviously freedom of religion must entail freedom to oppress unpopular minorities. All in the name of their imaginary best friend. For whom there is no more evidence than there is for Zeus or Apollo. Yet some how they know what he wants, and it's to smite gays and regulate your bedroom activities.

All of the above are pure emotion. In fact they often argue against logical thought. Like education is a bad thing, and we are just elitists with our fancy scientific evidence and rational thought.

It makes no sense. It's all guns and religion and the hell with the rest of our civil liberties.

If your average right winger gets a tax cut and so do the rich, he loves it. But he could get a bigger tax cut, while the rich have to pay more and he cries socialism. That sounds like an idiot who has been brain washed. A good little wage slave fighting for his master.


If we want to have any programs for the poor, they are outraged. Yet they don't seem to understand WE ALREADY PAY FOR THEM. It is through increased prices. However the burden can be shifted more towards the upper class and their employers who have created the system in the first place. Rather than pushing the cost off on the consumers like we are doing now. All they have to do is claim it's socialism and they have every dumb toothless hillbilly whipped into a frenzy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:04 am 
Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:40 am
Posts: 1991
Location: Texas
That was a dig my friend. Just a dig. I think I finally understand why my grandfather (he was coached by TimD when he played at Rice back in the 20's) always said you never discuss politics or religion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:06 pm 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Posts: 4393
Location: Pennsylvania
From what I've seen, both liberals and conservatives are capable of acting emotionally/irrationally on a number of issues. Likewise, both have pushed for censorship at one time or another, and both have exploited fear to win elections, whether it was fear of terrorists, or fear of a new great depression.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:11 pm 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Posts: 4393
Location: Pennsylvania
That's why I chose to remain independant, and why I don't want either party becoming too powerful .... I see both major parties as a threat to my rights.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:22 pm 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Posts: 4393
Location: Pennsylvania
PS) I also think it's a little strange/maddening that so much of the debate over gun control revolves around massacres like Columbine and VA Tech, when these types of attacks account for such a small percentage of all shootings. Meanwhile, you have to ask yourself ... when you're dealing with well-planned attacks carried out by determined individuals with no reguard even for there own survival, is increased gun control really going to be a deterant.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:51 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am
Posts: 3983
Matt Z wrote:
From what I've seen, both liberals and conservatives are capable of acting emotionally/irrationally on a number of issues. Likewise, both have pushed for censorship at one time or another, and both have exploited fear to win elections, whether it was fear of terrorists, or fear of a new great depression.


Yea, I know. That's how we got on this topic. Liberals usually seem to respond with a lot of emotional illogical arguments on the gun issue.


But as far as censorship goes, that whole political correctness thing is the only thing that comes to mind. But every group has to have it's retards. Sometimes dumb people end up being liberal. All for the wrong reasons though. All those stupid touchy thought control pedants give the left a bad name. They're as bad as the brain dead hippie/spiritual/alternative medicine/vegetarian/organic retards. I think that's where most of the gun nonsense comes from. However, most of us on the left live in reality land.

Really though, the problem is half the human race is delusional. It's actually socially acceptable to be completely deluded. Many people think you can only be virtuous if you believe in improbable things for which there is no evidence. Like you're otherwise missing an important aspect of your character.


So really I'm an independent rationalist. But that's pretty damn close to liberal. It's like rounding from 2.9 to 3.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:53 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am
Posts: 3983
hoosegow wrote:
That was a dig my friend. Just a dig. I think I finally understand why my grandfather (he was coached by TimD when he played at Rice back in the 20's) always said you never discuss politics or religion.


Sorry, the irony was too much for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:09 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7496
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
Ironman wrote:
hoosegow wrote:
That was a dig my friend. Just a dig. I think I finally understand why my grandfather (he was coached by TimD when he played at Rice back in the 20's) always said you never discuss politics or religion.


Sorry, the irony was too much for me.


I don't so much mind discussing religion or discussing politics. It's when people assume certain things about my politics because of my religion, or assume things about my religion because of my politics that I get annoyed.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group