ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:04 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Military presses with 315? The most I ever did was 225, barely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:07 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

There's a scene in "Pumping Iron" where Lou Feregno Military Presses 315 lbs for 10 reps. Pretty badass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:13 pm 

I was lifting at my old gym. They had recently sold out to the YMCA. All of a sudden you started seeing a bunch of kids running around. I had almost decided to quit when this happened. I was getting set to do dumbell bench presses. When I pushed the weight up the first rep, I screwed up my form and the dumbell went out. I had two choices. Either drop the weight or tear my shoulder to shreads. I dumped the dumbell and it missed a kids foot by a couple of inches. It shook me up so bad that I barely finished my training session. I visited another gym that evening and signed up immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:28 pm 

Quote:
There's a scene in "Pumping Iron" where Lou Feregno Military Presses 315 lbs for 10 reps. Pretty badass.
I believe that was 225.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:22 am 

No, I'm pretty sure it was 315 lbs, and he power cleaned it at the start of the set. Of couse he was 6'5" and 275 lbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:31 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I’m not even sure the weights were real in that movie. I know all of them weren't. In Flex a while back, they did an expose on Arnold and showcased classic photos by Art Zeller. One of the shots was of Arnold on the set of Pumping Iron holding a loaded barbell (6 or more plates on each side) over his head with one hand. Arnold was awesome, but there’s no way he was holding 585 over his head with one hand. The caption said “Arnold goofing around on the set of Pumping Iron”.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:36 am 

hoosegow wrote:
I was lifting at my old gym. They had recently sold out to the YMCA. All of a sudden you started seeing a bunch of kids running around. I had almost decided to quit when this happened. I was getting set to do dumbell bench presses. When I pushed the weight up the first rep, I screwed up my form and the dumbell went out. I had two choices. Either drop the weight or tear my shoulder to shreads. I dumped the dumbell and it missed a kids foot by a couple of inches. It shook me up so bad that I barely finished my training session. I visited another gym that evening and signed up immediately.

I've had a similar experience to this... DB Bench press, just completely failed, one of those failures that your just screwed and need to drop the DB's... Which I did, as I had no choice. Must of been mid set that another guy, for whatever reason set up a bench VERY close to me, the DB JUST missed the guys foot. Even more luckily, the DB bounced after the first impact - OVER his foot / ankle. Some bones would of been broken for sure. Some people are idiots, it's not like he had to be so close..

I've had guys moving the foot-end of their bench extremely close to the bar when i've been dead lifting. Close enough that a wacky rep could result in a crushed lower leg. I can't even bring myself to speak to them - what do you say? "excuse me, but what the hell do you think I plan to do with this F****** Bar? Admire the beauty of the dam thing?" I know I should politely ask him to move back, but I find it completely ridiculous. Almost shamefully, my solution is to do a single, but slam the thing down so that they get a fright. Normally followed by a disgusted look, "dam meathead / thug / whatever" then they move the bench. Lucky I even noticed he was so close if you ask me...

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:13 pm 

I had a not so dangerous moment, but still feel stupid event today. I just got through doing a 5X5 @325 (so I thought) bench. I went to take the weight off and noticed I missed putting on the 5 pound plate on the right side - for the entire set. :red: Nobody said anything. I thought I busted through a plateau.