ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:11 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Durring my senior year of college I lived in a house-dorm called Springdale. Everyone who lived there had a bedroom, which they shared with one roommate. Meanwhile, the entire house shared a common living room, a common k-word, and two common bathrooms (one for the guys and one for the girls).

Each bedroom had two beds, two desks and two wardrobes. The wardrobes were each at least 6 feet tall and 4 feet wide, and made of oak, so they were pretty heavy. Also, each one had two drawers at the bottom and a rod to hang clothes on.

One day, one of the girls from downstairs needed to get something from on top of her wardrobe. Anyway, she was pretty short and she couldn't reach. She could have just pulled over a chair to stand on, but instead she pulled out the bottom drawer of the wardrobe and stood on it. Perhaps not surprisingly, her weight on the drawer caused the entire wardrobe to tip foreward.

As luck would have it, I was on my way back from class at the time, and just happened to be walking past her room. When I heard her scream, I darted through the open door, caught the wardrope at chest level and push pressed it back into a standing position.

Anyway, the girl was a little shook up after having nearly been pinned under a heavy wardrobe, but otherwise fine. I don't think it would have killed her, but she could have been badly injured. Meanwhile, I've always thought it somewhat ironic that out of all the people living in Springdale, I was probably the only one strong enough to catch that wardrobe in mid-fall and stand it back up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:28 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Once in college while walking up the stairs in the bookstore a woman walking down fell and would have broken her head if I didn't reach up and catch her a few inches from the steps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:31 pm 

I also slipped once going down the folding stairs of a friends attick. I was holding onto the railings at the time and ended up doing the equivalent of a parallel bar dip, which was saved me from a nasty fall. I wonder if anyone else here has had similar experiences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:11 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I fell into a manhole once. Kid you not. No traffic cones around it alerting pedestrians or anything. But I reached up and caught myself, ripping the armpits of my jacket. Whole thing happened so fast, I wasn't quite sure what the heck happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:41 pm 

Wow ... I never fell in a manhole, but I did step in a woodchuck hole once in college. One minute I was walking along holding hands with me wife (we were dating at the time), the next minute I was doing a one-legged squat with the other leg thigh-deep in a hole. Fortunately, I was able to catch myself and pull my leg out without getting bitten.

PS.) Stangely, my foot never hit bottom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:55 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I got knocked out cold by a tree in boot camp. Damn thing came out of nowhere. :green:

We got woken up at 3am by the drills and had to run so that we could hurry-up and wait somewhere else. I was running behind a guy that was about 5 inches shorter than me (who was taking lots of short cuts off the path) ... so he made it under the branch, and I smacked right into it.

All I remember is staring up at the stars with about 6 guys asking me if I was alright .. and all I could think was ... "sh!t I'm gonna get chewed out for laying around"