Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:20 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Think the only ones in that apply to me are

"4. Filling up an entire water bottle at the fountain, while other's are waiting"

And, erm, I don't really pay any attention to what socks i'm wearing. I look a mess in the gym anyway as I wear old stuff that I wouldn't really wear in public anymore. Only thing that warrants an investments is my footwear. I wear either chuck taylors (squats and DL's) or Nike Frees (everything else).

I used to wear gloves before I started doing all the strength stuff. I was never sure that they done anything, and grudged having to buy a new pair every few months... Maybe I just bought crap gloves?

I think Lynx grips are far superior to gloves for lifting, though....

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:44 am 

a bit of advice i read, not sure if it really applies but as for lifting speed, eric cressey said if your maximum lift is 500lbs (i wish...) when you lift 300 lbs you should still apply 500lbs of force to the bar.

surely that means your bar should woosh right up on submaximal lifts.

and as for that gym weenie thing about socks, my girlfriend tends to leave socks at my place, and i wear them. I've been in the gym for an hour before noticing i was wearing socks with kittens embroidered on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:10 am 

robertscott wrote:
a bit of advice i read, not sure if it really applies but as for lifting speed, eric cressey said if your maximum lift is 500lbs (i wish...) when you lift 300 lbs you should still apply 500lbs of force to the bar.

surely that means your bar should woosh right up on submaximal lifts.

Exactly. My Speed deadlifts are like lightning, lol, so much fun. Dip, grip, rip and SLAM (just to pi$$ off the staff). A PL in the club actually videod me doing speed DL's with 40% 1RM from a deficit. I was surprised he knew how to use a camera, if he can manage email with attachments i'll try and post it somewhere...

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:22 am 

i agree, speed deadlifts are awesome. I like speed military presses too. Anything vaguely strongman-esque done at speed is great for ye olde ego.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:43 am 

I think some people have the misconception that moving quickly with any weight will cause you to tear something. As long as you maintain proper form I don't see anything wrong with explosive lifts.

As for the fat trainers ..... I agree that someone who trains people for a living should keep him/herself in decent shape. However, just looking fit doesn't mean you know enough to teach others. Also, I tend to have more respect for trainers who have a particular area of expertise, whether it's bodybuilding, strength, endurance, sports performance, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:06 pm 

robertscott wrote:
i agree, speed deadlifts are awesome. I like speed military presses too. Anything vaguely strongman-esque done at speed is great for ye olde ego.

Haha. Not at the weights I lift! Lifting 50-60% of my 1RMs just reminds me of how small my 1RMs are!