ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:25 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

"It's also ironic that generally paying for a certified trainer to help you in person results in worse results, worse form, and worse workouts than just asking interested non-certified folks on the internet!" - pdellorto

I agree 100%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:33 am 

I also think it's ironic that most women are convinced that weight training will turn them into Ronnie Coleman overnight, while most men I meet seem convinced that they'll never get really big or strong no matter what they do. If these fears were founded, the story of early human history would be one long tale of Amazonian masterhood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:17 am 

Matt Z wrote:
I also think it's ironic that most women are convinced that weight training will turn them into Ronnie Coleman overnight, while most men I meet seem convinced that they'll never get really big or strong no matter what they do. If these fears were founded, the story of early human history would be one long tale of Amazonian masterhood.

QFT.

Here's an awesome quote from Mistress Krista:
http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=25

Quote:
FOR THE LAST fv(k TIME, YOU CANNOT GET TOO BIG FROM LIFTING WEIGHTS! A NON-DRUG-USING MALE TRAINEE WOULD HAPPILY CRAWL ON HIS LIPS THROUGH A FIELD OF LEECHES TO ADD FIFTEEN CRUMMY LITTLE POUNDS OF MUSCLE A YEAR! DO YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE SOMEHOW SO SPECIAL THAT YOU WILL DEFY THE LAWS OF PHYSIOLOGY AND SUDDENLY BECOME HUGE ONE DAY?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:39 am 

haha. It's crazy...

I briefly mentioned in my first post that our gym has had a group of acrobats, dancers, etc. There's a circus / show type thing in my home town and they perform there (2 weeks ago they had the Skyline from the Fast & the Furious on display).

Anyway, it's a group of about 8 women, and I kid you not, it's the best thing i've ever seen - perfection, ALL of them. They always seem to be stretching etc when I go up to do my warm up(which I do in the 'abs . matts' area). I don't care how efficient or committed you are, but your warm up WILL last up to 45minutes if they're up there when you go to warm up. It's quite funny. It's a very quiet part of the gym, and you hardly see any men up there. But when the dancers / acrobats are there, all of a sudden all the weight lifters become fans of static stretching, stability balls, and skipping lol - 'i'll just stand here and skip for a while, that'll be subtle!'.

When they actually train, they hit the weights. Loads of pull ups and dips, all the 'basics'. You barely even see them use machines or do any cardio. Why don't women (and men) see this and think, "hmm, maybe there IS something in all this weight lifting stuff".

Bizarre...

Actually it's not bizarre at all. It's the friggin' female celebrities. "so, Miss Celebrity, what's your secret for getting and keeping your amazing figure"

Answer "I have a great trainer who makes me do a combination of yoga and pilates and every 3 months, I go on the Maple Syrup diet"

why-aye-otta...

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:16 am 

brook011 wrote:
...whole wheat Lucky Charms.

Really??? Is this a joke? WHOLE WHEAT LUCKY CHARMS??? That has to violate some FDA purity standard.

I'm trying hard to get used to whole wheat, but not in Lucky Charms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:51 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
brook011 wrote:

Really??? Is this a joke? WHOLE WHEAT LUCKY CHARMS??? That has to violate some FDA purity standard.

This is sometimes referred to as "Breakfast Candy".
http://www.pritikin.com/eperspective/05 ... ains.shtml

Quote:
"And even if the cereals were in fact 100% whole grain, many would still not be considered healthful food choices because they’re full of other ingredients that are problematic. Lucky Charms, for example, is nearly half-sugar. “With or without whole grains, these cereals are nothing more than breakfast candy,” reported the May 05 issue of Nutrition Action, the newsletter of the non-profit health-advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest in Washington, D.C."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:36 pm 

KPj wrote:
Why don't women (and men) see this and think, "hmm, maybe there IS something in all this weight lifting stuff".

Jealously, rationalization, and the plain old refusal of most people to choose the hard road over the quick fix?

I dunno, maybe just two of those. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:36 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stuward wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
brook011 wrote:

This is sometimes referred to as "Breakfast Candy".
http://www.pritikin.com/eperspective/05 ... ains.shtml

Quote:
"And even if the cereals were in fact 100% whole grain, many would still not be considered healthful food choices because they’re full of other ingredients that are problematic. Lucky Charms, for example, is nearly half-sugar. “With or without whole grains, these cereals are nothing more than breakfast candy,” reported the May 05 issue of Nutrition Action, the newsletter of the non-profit health-advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest in Washington, D.C."

And I enjoy every spoonful of breakfast candy I can get. It's like a once a week heaven to wake up to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:06 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

What's ironic about me is that:

1) I've learned to identify wild edible plants and some are growing in my own yard, but I still don't like eating veggies;

2) I've learned about form from the internet and this post but have also learned not to comment to other people in the gym because (ironically) as I've learned from reading these posts, if you look fat, skinny or not perfect, people will look down on your opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:41 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Ironic - Getting my hair cut by this very large woman who decided to talk about her diet with me "People tend to do that nowadays as I've gotten into good shape" and states that shes been doing this diet for a month, and cannot eat vegetables because they are carbs and carbs/vegetables are bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:09 pm 

"and states that shes been doing this diet for a month, and cannot eat vegetables because they are carbs and carbs/vegetables are bad." - brook011

Maybe she considers french fries a vegetable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:15 pm 

"2) I've learned about form from the internet and this post but have also learned not to comment to other people in the gym because (ironically) as I've learned from reading these posts, if you look fat, skinny or not perfect, people will look down on your opinion." - tostig

I think that's how most clients pick personal trainers. They find a trainer they think is good looking and figure he/she must know how to workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:32 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Matt Z wrote:
"and states that shes been doing this diet for a month, and cannot eat vegetables because they are carbs and carbs/vegetables are bad." - brook011

Maybe she considers french fries a vegetable.

Oh no, she couldn't eat a salad because it had carbs. I took the high road and didn't argue it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:44 pm 

stuward wrote:
Lucky Charms, for example, is nearly half-sugar.

Of course they are. Why else eat them?

The only thing better is Corn Pops, which when I was a kid (back before most of you were thought of) were more honestly called "Sugar Pops." Who could forget the catchy jingle from the commercials during Saturday morning cartoons, "Sugar Pops Are Tops"?

If (when they were available to me) I could limit myself to a bowl a week it wouldn't be a big problem. But, sadly, when they are around I tend to eat 2-3 bowls at a time 8 or 10 times per week, which is why when I come back to PNG I have lots of weight to lose. But not again. I'm gonna buy 1 box and ration them over my 4 months in the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:04 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Oh, no its sometimes more, but I cant be completely strict right now. I honestly have been bringing trail mix to work to eat in between meals to up my calories, granted.. its not lucky charms or better yet, cinnamon toast crunch. before they go soggy, theyre amazing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next