ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grilling for the 4th
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:25 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

The 4th of July is upon us. In the US, it's a big holiday. I know we have several grillers, Q'ers, and pit masters here. But on this 4th, you might want to stay away from ground beef. Kroeger has issued a recall on ground beef because of E. Coli.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... html?cat=3

Anyone firing up the smokers this weekend? I'm thinking about doing a Boston Butt on the smoker and spatchcocked Cornish Hens with corn on the cob on the grill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:31 am 

All the more reason to buy grass fed beef from a local farmer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:11 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

A butt, huh? I did one last week. Just curious Chris, seeing that I'm down here on the North Carolina border, I just give mine a good dry rub, toss in the the refridgerator for a day or two, then toss i into the pit.Sauce it with a vinegar based (Carolina style) sauce after its done and pulled. How do you guys do your's down there in "Bama?
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:30 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

My father-in-law showed me how to grill a brisket with a homemade bbq sauce a few years back, so I'll doing that for about 6 hours tomorrow. When that's done, I'll throw some dogs on the grill for the kids.

I was never much for grilling, but my father-in-law got me hooked ... now I look forward to the days I get to grill for family and friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:12 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

To be honest I don't worry too much about E. coli, mostly because I cook everything well-done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:22 pm 

Quote:
To be honest I don't worry too much about E. coli, mostly because I cook everything well-done.
You don't like a nice juicy bloody steak...mmm. Are you one of those people who likes to be sure that w/e you are cooking is dead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:33 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Hey Tim, the store was out of Butts. Figures. Well, I was in the store, so I guess they had at least one Butt huh? :lol:

I’ve got today and tomorrow off, so I’m starting now. I got a picnic shoulder since they were out of Butts. I scored the skin, then rubbed mustard all over it. Once the mustard was on, I coated it liberally in a rub and stuck it in the fridge.

Tomorrow I’ll smoke it skin side up. I’ve got a mix of hickory and mesquite. I’ll use the mesquite for the first round of smoke, and then rely on hickory for the rest of the cook.

I figure on 8 hours cook time at 225. When it’s done, I’ll let it rest in foil for 30-45 minutes and then pull it. Any drippings in the foil will go back into the meat. We’ll serve it on buns with a Carolina type sauce. I make the sauce out of apple cider vinegar, ketchup, and brown sugar.

Occasionally, we top the pulled pork with slaw. Since we’re having that as well, that is definitely an option.

How does my recipe for a Carolina type BBQ sauce sound? Have you got a better recipe since you’re actually there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:39 pm 

I've heard of that trick with the mustard, but never tried it. Will have to give it a go. Your recipe sounds spot on for the sauce, we just take it real easy on the tomatoe base (ketchup) but do stick some in, unlike the bullseye and rest of the stuff sold in most markets.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:42 pm 

I'm working the 4th, but have the morning, afternoon off, so all this talk of food has me going. Think I'll pt on some country ribs. Have a 5 lb tray I got on special for 98 cents/lb. Think I'll try the mustard coat on them, but being from the loin, they'll go much quicker.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:06 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Quote:
You don't like a nice juicy bloody steak...mmm. Are you one of those people who likes to be sure that w/e you are cooking is dead?

Couple flips of the steak for about 5-6 minutes when the grills hot and my steaks ready to go :) If I wanted thoroughly cooked I would've grilled chicken hehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:58 pm 

Actually, it really pisses me off when I order a well-done steak at a resturant and get it medium-rare. If I wanted medium-rare, I would have ordered medium rare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:49 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Tim that is a fantastic price. Great deal! I love Country Style Ribs. I’m jealous! I typically braise them in the Dutch Oven with a sauce. It’s an outdoor Dutch Oven where you put coals underneath it and on top of the lid. I’ve not tried smoking them yet. I’d be very interested as to how the mustard and rub technique works out for you on those. Sounds great!

Here’s a guy doing Country Style Ribs in an outdoor DO. It is a really fun way to cook. He’s using a 10" DO which is the same size as mine. I start out with a braising sauce, so my ribs never look whitish like his do (steamed) but they are fall apart tender for sure. I’ll have to try smoking them one day. Great idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfIuBsjUrAE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:04 pm 

Chris_A wrote:
Hey Tim, the store was out of Butts. Figures. Well, I was in the store, so I guess they had at least one Butt huh? :lol:

I’ve got today and tomorrow off, so I’m starting now. I got a picnic shoulder since they were out of Butts. I scored the skin, then rubbed mustard all over it. Once the mustard was on, I coated it liberally in a rub and stuck it in the fridge.

Tomorrow I’ll smoke it skin side up. I’ve got a mix of hickory and mesquite. I’ll use the mesquite for the first round of smoke, and then rely on hickory for the rest of the cook.

I figure on 8 hours cook time at 225. When it’s done, I’ll let it rest in foil for 30-45 minutes and then pull it. Any drippings in the foil will go back into the meat. We’ll serve it on buns with a Carolina type sauce. I make the sauce out of apple cider vinegar, ketchup, and brown sugar.

Occasionally, we top the pulled pork with slaw. Since we’re having that as well, that is definitely an option.

How does my recipe for a Carolina type BBQ sauce sound? Have you got a better recipe since you’re actually there?

Mmmmm....

If I say I'm sorry for my comment on the other thread, can I come over to eat?

I'm working all day. My wife had to go to town, so she won't have time to cook. Probably left-overs tonight (it's already the 4th here, and of course, it isn't a holiday in the Commonwealth country).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:07 pm 

I can't eat anything called a "butt." Just not esthetically appealing. Is there no alternative name for it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:16 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jungledoc wrote:
I can't eat anything called a "butt." Just not esthetically appealing. Is there no alternative name for it?

You can call it a Boston Shoulder or Boston Roast. It’s from the shoulder near the blade, and may or may not have the blade bone in. The “Butt” part comes from the barrels they were stored and shipped in back in the day. The storage container was called a butt…..yet the meat comes from the shoulder. A Picnic Ham is the lower portion of the shoulder. A Whole shoulder has both pieces (Butt and Picnic). The Butt, the upper portion, is generally the better cut. Oddly enough, in Boston, they don't call it a Boston Butt.

There’s gonna be plenty, so come on over! Do you want your pork loose or on a bun? Add slaw or sauce? Want fries with that? :grin: