ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:26 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hey Chris. The lost art of using a Dutch oven. Mom grew up during the depression, and taught us kids how to use one back when I was around ten. Haven't really used one in ten years withthe coals with all this new stuff available, but they are versatile. Kind of like a slow cooker without the electricity She even used to bake breads and cakes in those things. I still use them in a conventional oven though. Great for beans and pot roasting..

Speaking of grilling. London broil (Top Round) is avail on sale days around here sometimes as low as 1.98 / lb. When that happens, I grab a couple of 3 lbrs around an inch or more thick. They can be tough, but a trick I learned was to rub it down with course salt, wrap it in platic wrap, put it in a ziplock baggie, and immerse it in very hot tap water for an hour before cooking. Kind of a quick brine; but the meat never gets soaked in the water, and it brings the meat up to room temperature evenly. after the water bath in the ziplock, you uwrap it, drizzle on some olive oil to coat evenly, and add some cracked black pepper (or any other seasoning you want) and cook a couple of minutes on each side over a two level fire, then drag it over a water pan on the cool side, cover the kettle with vents to around 300 and roast for around 10 minutes or until around 135 internal temp, pull it off the fire, let it rest loosely wrapped in foil for around 10 minutes, then slice thinly. Comes out medium rare, very evenly, and very tender. Kind of a poor man's roast beef.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:45 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

That sounds great Tim, I’m going to have to try that. A favorite roast of mine is to use a chuck roast. Place it on two pieces of foil laid out in a + configuration. Put the roast in the middle. Take a can of Cream or Mushroom soup straight from the can, undiluted, and spread it on the roast to cover it completely (kind of like buttering bread). Then take a pack of dry onion soup mix and pour it all over the soup covered roast. Wrap up the foil tight and place it in a baking dish with 1/4 inch of water in the dish. Roast it in a 350 degree oven for 1.5 hours.

It’s is amazing. Tender, juicy, and makes its own gravy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:17 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Had myself a 20oz t-bone. Wow, amazing. Just some salt and pepper on it, don't want to spoil the meat with any sauce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:59 am 

Yeah, Chris. The foil comes in handy. Probably considered heresy by pit masters, but most cultures have something very similar. They build big fires in a pit lines with stones, then wrap a huge hunk of meat in the local leaves that have been soaked, such as banana or whatever, throw it in the pit, cover it up, and dig it up some hours later. Foil and an oven sure simplify the process.
Tim