ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:11 pm 
n00b
n00b

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/08/01/o.women.weight.loss.math/index.html

More self-coddling crap for women. I like the part where 'Just Having Worked Out' subtracts 7 weight points while 'eating Death By Chocolate Cake' adds 6. Because 20 minutes on the recumbent will burn calories in excess of the 600 in Death By Chocolate cake. BTW what the hell is Death By Chocolate cake

I'm not even punctuating that question with a question mark because it expresses my speculative wretching.

I think I'm gonna write a book about overcoming the psychological barriers to fat loss with tidbits like "Step 1: Throw out your scale," and with great quotes like, "Be like the inventor who doesn't spoil the surprise until the invention comes out of the shed, not the inventor who gives constant updates, because then people stop noticing." I have no qualifications and it's going to make millions and I'll be on Oprah. It needs to be simple and easy-to-read so no footnotes or references or academic standards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, That's pretty bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:23 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

It's articles like this that make it soo frustrating to even consider talking to someone about their diet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:36 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

As I've read it, it's not a weight-loss plan which is being described, it's how women imagine themselves when in the neighbourhood of younger/older people, when they've just eaten something like chocolate, etc. I don't know what the meaning/use of the PBII (Personal Body Imagining index or something like it) is.
But I think it has something to do about liking the way you are e.g. a fat women can accept who she is with the use of PBII. That is just plain bollocks, enlarging the idea "I can't change how my body looks like."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:23 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I don't understand why people seem to gravitate towards extremes. Either they expect physical perfection, or they give up and let themselves go completely.

Last edited by Matt Z on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:34 pm 

Also, I don't understand why some people see any attempt at self improvement as a sign of low self esteem. They act like it's impossible for someone to like who they are as a person and still want to improve their appearance, health or athletic performance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:26 pm 

Francisco Bizarro wrote:

IT'S A JOKE, FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!

It satire. She's just laughing about her struggles, and the attitudes that women tend to pick up through the years. She'd agree with pretty much what you guys are saying--she's just expressing it through satire.