ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This is bad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:33 am 

I'm not sure if I am getting pimples around my mouth, or dreaded cold sores. I'd normally just go see a doctor, but alas, I am without health insurance, so I have to rely on the internet for my health, as sad as that is. Well, back to my problem. I keep getting what I think (and hope) are pimples around my mouth, but the more I look into it I think it might be herpes (or cold sores). I wouldn't dare go around asking my friends about this for I would look like a fool...but I doubt any of u know me. Anyway, when I look at the symptoms online, it seems like cold sores. But, when I look at pictures, it looks nothing like herpes. I get a singular bump that looks like a whitehead every once in a while around my lip, and its pretty painful. The only plus I have going is I still get acne on my chest (unless of course, this is herpes too and I just haven't realized it) and it looks and feels and hurts just like a swollen whitehead on my chest. So...anyone know who I can turn too for advice? (perhaps urself if you've been caught in this dilemma?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:02 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I don't think you can get herpes on your chest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:52 pm 

Actually, Matt, you can. Different strains of herpes favor different areas of the body. There are lots of kinds of herpes besides the genital kind. It's just that people shorten the phrase and just say "herpes" when they refer to genital herpes.

Tyler, save up your money, or hock your mother's china, or do without food for a month, or something, and go into the nearest doc in the box and let him or her put you out of your misery by telling you what you have. But don't ask me. I hate dermatology. Bad attitude toward the skin. Goes back to a very unpleasant experience in medical school. My usual approach is something like, "Yeah, it's a rash alright. Oh, you want to know what KIND of rash? Oh, well, then go ask someone who cares about skin." I don't actually say it quite like that, but that's what I'm thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:56 am 

Matt Z wrote:
I don't think you can get herpes on your chest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Herp ... _chest.png

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:21 am 

I stand corrected. I knew that there were at least two kinds and that you could get either form on your mouth and/or genitals. Also, I'd heard of herpes infections of the eyes, but I didn't realize they could affect other areas.