ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who are you?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:49 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

From poking around here for a couple of days it seems like most of the active posters here are weight lifters / body builders. And mostly native english-speakers I think?

Me, I'm neither. Just generally interested in nutrition and excercise, at the moment trying to get in better shape. And I'm in Sweden. So not a native english-speaker.

Anyhow, just curious as to who you all are and why you're here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:17 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Helena, welcome to the site. We don't have many women regular posters, and I don't know of any from Sweden. It will be good to get a fresh view. There was a simlar thread to this a while ago: http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4 ... sc&start=0

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:36 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the welcome!

Ah, didn't see that thread :smile: Interesting to read! I have no clue as to what weights I can lift... haha! I do know I dead-lifted 150 lbs once a couple of years ago, just to see if I could do it after my sister bragged about doing it :lol:

Like I said, I'm mostly interested in nutrition (that's how I found this site) and medicine (I'm a molecular biologist with a PhD in cardiovascular medicine). I've considered becoming a qualified nutritionist since people in general are so disinformed nowadays... it's a sad thing when kids get potato chips with lunch at school and people think that ketchup is a vegetable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:44 am 

Helena115 wrote:
...it's a sad thing when kids get potato chips with lunch at school and people think that ketchup is a vegetable.

Potato chips and ketchup, that's 2 vegetables. :)

It will be great to have someone with your knowledge and training on board. We have a doctor on board already, great if you have any jungle ailments.

I was wondering why you were posting in the middle of the night. I thought there was another insomniac. It must be afternoon in Sweden now. Usually, I'm one of the first posters in the morning, being on the east coast of NA. Often the only other ones posting in the morning are the late posters in Aisa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:58 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Haha!

Yeah, it's almost 3pm here now. We're 6 hours ahead of EST.

I do hope I'll be able to contribute here as I've been getting great (and fast) replies to my own questions. I did my PhD on lipid metabolism in relation to heart disease, and I'm really interested in the ongoing fat-debate and specially the recent study by Shai et al in NEJM. There's a somewhat heated debate in Sweden right now whether the government should change their dietary guidlines (they've been saying high fibre - low fat - lots of veggies - lean meats for decades) according to the recent findings. There's also people who are on the LHCF diet and taking it to the extreme (drinking heavy cream for breakfast etc.), which could be really bad if you have (unscreened) genetic variations that disrupts lipid metabolism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:18 am 

I've seen that study. It's interesting but I wonder what would happen if you add in weight training? They didn't measure bf%, just weight.

I tend to lean towards paleo type diets although I'm not strict on it. I eat grains, just not anywhere near what the government recommends.

I think Sweden is way ahead of Canada and the US when it comes to official recommendations. I imagine there is less pressure from big business and big agriculture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:26 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Helena. I tend to agree with that study, have been eating that way for years now. Back in the early 60's I busted up my knee in American football, and I had a Greek surgeon that treated me . I got a bit heavy from10 weeks in a full leg cast *they did that back then), so he sat my parents down and gave them guidelines for a diet . It looked almost like Berardi's 7 habits guidelines, and this was 45 years ago. Of course back ten, activity was a given constant; we biked, walked , swam, played sports all the time. Then something happened. In the 80's, America got on the low fat kick, and low fat/non fat highly processed foods started showing up in droves. The results; America is fatter than ever. It looks lije things are starting to turn full circle, going back to high fiber, lean protein, lots of veg and fruit, some TRUE whole grains and legumes, and to NT be afraid of fats, especially the olive oils, avacado's, etc. A good read would be Udo Eurasmus' "Fats that heal, fats that kill". All things in moderation.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:44 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm all for fats from vegetables, but there are people who argue that animal fats are better for you (these are the people who drink heavy cream for breakfast and eat Camenbert cheese for lunch...). That I don't agree with.

I try to stick to a mediterranean type of diet myself, with lots of olive oil, green veggies, fish, lean meats and whole grains.

Stuward - I don't really know how much pressure there is on the government from big businesses here, but one of our biggest industries here is agriculture (grains mostly) so there might be some pressure from the farmers. But I really don't know much about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:41 am 

Well, there is some research showing that some saturated fat from animal courses has some benefits, but we aren't talking about large quantities here. If you were to get a lean cut of beef, say top round, that would be plenty. I also know that the cold water fish (salmon, mackerel, etc) are very fatty, but with all the good stuff (EPA/DHA omega-3's). I o't know of any benefits of drinking heavy cream and eating sausages though. I would keep that to a minimum, and turn to the veg sources of fat. I too, prefer a med based diet, but don't worry too much about occasionally having some fatty meat, or some cream in my coffee.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like Sweden. They are the model of personal freedoms. I love the way they don't take any crap from the recording industry and the motion picture association. Norway, Finland and Denmark are pretty high up there too. High percentage of atheists too. It must be because it's too cold to put up with any bu11$h!t up there. :grin:

Here is something about the science of fat, or lack there of.

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/choles ... yth_1.html

It is multi-part. Click the link at the bottom to continue to the next session.

This is something Stu posted. This Mark guy is brilliant.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol/