ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Karma
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:25 pm 

Why is it, everytime I move, it's always next to red necks?

Loud ignorant people that must either scream there views on peoples sexuality across the tree tops at 2am, or blast BAD techno at 11pm so my boy whines that he can't fall back asleep.

Day time/weekend fine, be as obnoxious as you please, I applod your zest for life. Night/weekday please keep your ignorance to yourself.

My mother would slap me silly if i ever acted like that, actually did once or twice. What is wrong with people these days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:21 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, you and I have different takes on the term "red necks". I agree with what you are saying in terms of manners. If I ever talked back to an adult when I was young, Me and my Dad would end up taking a three legged race to the hospital to get his foot out of my butt. I grew up in the 50's and 60's, and back then a "red neck" was simply a rancher or farmer that spent many hours out in the fields keeping his/her family floating, and they usually didn't have a lot of money, but had tons of pride. Nowadays, I realize it refers to some gross hillbilly type.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:45 pm 

TimD wrote:
I grew up in the 50's and 60's, and back then a "red neck" was simply a rancher or farmer that spent many hours out in the fields keeping his/her family floating, and they usually didn't have a lot of money, but had tons of pride. Nowadays, I realize it refers to some gross hillbilly type.
Tim

Wow... I had no idea that term had described someone I respect...

Now I use it to describe someone who is ignorant of basic manners. I really feel bad for insulting people that actually worked for a living.

I now need to find a new derogatory device to discribe those types.

Thanks Tim, I'm a little less ignorant now myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

redneck has only the derogatory meaning now. So it is appropriate as used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:58 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

In the U.K. we call them 'Chav's' or 'Scum'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:42 am 

Ironman wrote:
redneck has only the derogatory meaning now. So it is appropriate as used.

I disagree... As A Man of the South, A Redneck does not always have a derogatory meaning. Often times it does mean a Proud individual with strong beliefs, those beliefs don't have to be screamed and forced on everyone around them though.

Around here, we would call the group nygmen described as being White Trash.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:15 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Lynyrd Skynyrd described themselves by saying "We're Rednecks and make no bones about it"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:06 pm 

robertscott wrote:
Lynyrd Skynyrd described themselves by saying "We're Rednecks and make no bones about it"

Is that a good or a bad thing?

I've used red neck to describe non-white people many times, so white trash isn't a good enough 'catch all.'

I do sort of like the Chav's thing, but i bet I pronounce it funny, and no one here will know what I'm talking about. Does it have historic significance that will make me feel guilty later too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:37 pm 

Jeff Foxworthy defines a Redneck as someone with a "Glorious Absence of Sophistication." :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rik, a chav is similar to a redneck, but rednecks are generally more trashy and dirty. If I wasn't such a massive Doctor Who fan, I wouldn't even know what a chav is.

Wilbur, it must be a regional thing. In St. Louis and many other parts of the US, Redneck is defined more by Jeff foxworthy's definition.

I also call them hoosiers. However, in many places that just means people from Indian, which is the origin of the word.

To be honest I don't really care what we call ignorant, unintelligent, grossly undereducated (and proud to be so), superstitious, backwards devolved primates with poor sense of right and wrong and abysmal personal hygiene that would make a chimp vomit. You know the type, you can count the teeth and braincells on 1 hand. Cancerous tumor on the anus of humanity might be a good one, but it's a bit long. So I think I will just glean the general meaning from the context it is used in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:22 am 

Ironman wrote:
...Indian, which is the origin of the word.

...ignorant, unintelligent, grossly undereducated (and proud to be so), superstitious, backwards devolved primates with poor sense of right and wrong and abysmal personal hygiene that would make a chimp vomit. ...

You're confusing "redneck" with "red-skin", an old term for native Americans. Red-necks are Caucasian--otherwise their necks would not be sun-burned from working in the fields.

A redneck may be ignorant, but not deliberately so, usually are not unintelligent, having to rely on their wits to survive in a hard world, may be without formal education, but not voluntarily so (I remember how much my grandparents read to help educate themselves), have high standards of personal hygiene (once they get in from working the fields or in the barn) ("you can't always be rich, but you can always be clean"). I come from a long line of rednecks, and I'm proud of it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:31 am 

when i mentioned Skynyrd I meant I didn't think they took any offence from the word. I guess it's all about context.

Chavs is a very English word, in Scotland we have Neds. It stands for non-educated delinquents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:50 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
Ironman wrote:
...Indian, which is the origin of the word.

...ignorant, unintelligent, grossly undereducated (and proud to be so), superstitious, backwards devolved primates with poor sense of right and wrong and abysmal personal hygiene that would make a chimp vomit. ...

You're confusing "redneck" with "red-skin", an old term for native Americans. Red-necks are Caucasian--otherwise their necks would not be sun-burned from working in the fields.

Ironman said Indian but I think he meant Indiana, the Hoosier state. Hoosier is not considered derogatory so I'm not sure it's the equivelant of Redneck. Of course, most rednecks are proud of the fact that they're a redneck so they wouldn't consider it a derogatory term either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:14 am 

stuward wrote:

Ironman said Indian but I think he meant Indiana, the Hoosier state. Hoosier is not considered derogatory so I'm not sure it's the equivelant of Redneck. Of course, most rednecks are proud of the fact that they're a redneck so they wouldn't consider it a derogatory term either.

Hmmm, Quite Interesting... Based on the responses, I can only assume that those who are replying are all Yankees, who have never met a True Redneck. :green:

IronMan is correct in stating it's a regional thing, however, I would not say that a Redneck is generally more trash and dirty.

It's truly sad that we define groups by one person's comedy routine. hehehe :lol:

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:29 pm 

I don't think there is a single correct definition for the word "redneck." It can mean a number of different things depending on the context and who's saying it.

For example, if I call someone an ignorant, lazy, racist, inbred, trailor-park redneck, then it's probably safe to say he's not a hard-working, self-educated farmer.