ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:41 pm 

Matt Z wrote:
For example, if I call someone an ignorant, lazy, racist, inbred, trailor-park redneck, then it's probably safe to say he's not a hard-working, self-educated farmer.

Ah trailor park... A good derogatory device all by its self used in the right sentence...

wilburburns wrote:
It's truly sad that we define groups by one person's comedy routine. hehehe

I couldn't disagree more. Think about it, it's a great thing.

Idiots think everyone with tan skin is an illegal immigrant, everyone with black skin is a gangsta rapper/crackdealer/elite athlete, and everyone with almond eyes is a math genius. Don't even get started with cab drivers, bearded Muslims and anyone who talks like the guy in Gladiator.

By doing this we lump white people in with the rest of the "dregs" of society. White people are no longer only judged by their lack of rhythm and small members. They are also part of that special group, the hated, the stereotyped, the shamed.

I'm not a big fan of these things, but honestly they exist, and as long as they do, all races religions and creeds should be crapped on equally… Far is it from me to think anyone is as good as I, or better yet, doesn't deserve a degrading moniker.

Does that make any sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:18 pm 

It makes some sense in a sort of backward way.

I'd rather try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. We all tend to judge those who are different than ourselves, and then to justify the judgments with stereotyped conclusions. It's impossible to know why any one person is the way they are without spending a long time with them. Obviously, we aren't likely to spend the time getting to know someone whom we assume (because of our own prejudices) we could not possible like.

We never know what misfortune, lack of opportunity or just fluke of genetics has maked people like they are. I don't always succeed, but I want to be the sort of person who will treat everyone fairly, and kindly, and not judge anyone until they have (on an individual basis, not on the basis of appearance, race, dress, style, etc.) proven themselves unworthy. And even them, who am I to say what's worthy and what's not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jungledoc wrote:
Ironman wrote:
...Indian, which is the origin of the word.

...ignorant, unintelligent, grossly undereducated (and proud to be so), superstitious, backwards devolved primates with poor sense of right and wrong and abysmal personal hygiene that would make a chimp vomit. ...

You're confusing "redneck" with "red-skin", an old term for native Americans. Red-necks are Caucasian--otherwise their necks would not be sun-burned from working in the fields.

A redneck may be ignorant, but not deliberately so, usually are not unintelligent, having to rely on their wits to survive in a hard world, may be without formal education, but not voluntarily so (I remember how much my grandparents read to help educate themselves), have high standards of personal hygiene (once they get in from working the fields or in the barn) ("you can't always be rich, but you can always be clean"). I come from a long line of rednecks, and I'm proud of it!

Actually that was a typo. It was suppose to read Indiana. That is the origin of the hoosier and had nothing to do with redneck.

Just use context. It's slang after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

wilburburns wrote:
stuward wrote:

Ironman said Indian but I think he meant Indiana, the Hoosier state. Hoosier is not considered derogatory so I'm not sure it's the equivelant of Redneck. Of course, most rednecks are proud of the fact that they're a redneck so they wouldn't consider it a derogatory term either.

Hmmm, Quite Interesting... Based on the responses, I can only assume that those who are replying are all Yankees, who have never met a True Redneck. :green:

IronMan is correct in stating it's a regional thing, however, I would not say that a Redneck is generally more trash and dirty.

It's truly sad that we define groups by one person's comedy routine. hehehe :lol:

Cliff

Actually the people came first. The comedy is just a parody of the stereotype.

It looks like the type of person I am describing does not exist where you are from. That is why you don't understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:12 pm 

Let me just add to this a little bit please…

I want to tell the world, I'm a total Mass-hole

1) I take ridiculous pride in my 'liberal' political stance, yet my actual views and morals are more conservative than Reagan on a good day. Typical Mass-hole thinks he's blue, but is just as red as Texas…
2) I drive at the same speed, ultra fast, rain, sleet, or blizzard with 16 inches of snow. Honestly though I won't pass a plow, but see many, many people do.
3) If you're doing less than 85 in the left lane, which I'm illegally traveling in, you are now the person on the planet I detest the most.
4) If you don't instantly move, like a drag race off the line, when the light turns green, you might hear a quick honk to remind you to go. If you don't respond to the first honk, you're worse than the guy doing 75 in the left lane. Expect a finger or two.
5) Road rage is a regular & accepted.
6) Big Dig ceiling collapses, We still drive in the stupid tunnel.
7) We believe every national sports announcer hates the Sox, except ESPN, which is out of Connecticut. (The good part of CT, that is like Mass's back yard, not that awful NYC part of CT.)
8) Rhode Island to us is just a Boston Suburb.
9) Our sports teams have won a lot lately and we still complain.
10) There is the Sox, Pats, and the rest of organized sports.
11) Anything in Mass west of Worchester is considered "Appalachia" or New York…

There are a lot of things I could add to this list…

I just wanted to explain that, as humans, we kinda stink in our own special way. Whether it be singularly or as a group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:28 am 

nygmen wrote:
Let me just add to this a little bit please…

I want to tell the world, I'm a total Mass-hole

1) I take ridiculous pride in my 'liberal' political stance, yet my actual views and morals are more conservative than Reagan on a good day. Typical Mass-hole thinks he's blue, but is just as red as Texas…
2) I drive at the same speed, ultra fast, rain, sleet, or blizzard with 16 inches of snow. Honestly though I won't pass a plow, but see many, many people do.
3) If you're doing less than 85 in the left lane, which I'm illegally traveling in, you are now the person on the planet I detest the most.
4) If you don't instantly move, like a drag race off the line, when the light turns green, you might hear a quick honk to remind you to go. If you don't respond to the first honk, you're worse than the guy doing 75 in the left lane. Expect a finger or two.
5) Road rage is a regular & accepted.
6) Big Dig ceiling collapses, We still drive in the stupid tunnel.
7) We believe every national sports announcer hates the Sox, except ESPN, which is out of Connecticut. (The good part of CT, that is like Mass's back yard, not that awful NYC part of CT.)
8) Rhode Island to us is just a Boston Suburb.
9) Our sports teams have won a lot lately and we still complain.
10) There is the Sox, Pats, and the rest of organized sports.
11) Anything in Mass west of Worchester is considered "Appalachia" or New York…

There are a lot of things I could add to this list…

I just wanted to explain that, as humans, we kinda stink in our own special way. Whether it be singularly or as a group.

Ahh Yes, the Typical Yankee/Northerner... Pissed off at the World (#1-10) and Ignorant (#11)...

heheheeheh :green: :lol: :green:

Now where is the Super Smiley to Prove that I am not trying to offend at all :) :) :)

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:04 pm 

wilburburns wrote:

Now where is the Super Smiley to Prove that I am not trying to offend at all :) :) :)

Cliff

None taken here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:38 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I skipped a few posts but in Australia we call them Bogans! Search You Tube for Bogan and you'll get guys doign burn outs in cars and wearing 'wife beater' singlets and flannelet shirts or heavy metal shirts that shoudl have been retired 10 years ago dur to their wer and tear look! Gotta go but will elaborate more soon!