ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:31 pm 

It's interesting how the amount they spent has roughly doubled every election. It makes you wonder how long that can go on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:35 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Even more interesting are the industries where the money comes from:

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/secto ... cycle=2008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:54 pm 

Quote:
It is very difficult NOT to generalize or make stereotypes during election times since that's how most of the media categorizes information, ie) he's up with white / women voters, or he needs to get more of the retiree voters etc. My intent was to make a sarcastic funny ha-ha remark about what you were stating .. not so much to get on your case personally. My sarcasm can be too sarcastic at times.
Don't worry about it, say whats on your mind (within reason of course). I hate stereotyping, its not fair to others and I feel like an idiot when I do it. Almost nothing is 'normal' there is no 'normal.' When you stereotype the equation for life looks like this: X + Y = Z. There is always another variable, X(A) + Y = ??...

Obama got in with the internet and grabbed lots of cash because of that. He's in with the young and 'hip' crowd.

Quote:
It's interesting how the amount they spent has roughly doubled every election. It makes you wonder how long that can go on.
Same can be said about sports. As long as there is inflation and we are willing to pay the prices we do for things then costs will always go up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:15 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Being wealthy, skilled and/or highly educated doesn't make one an elitist. Looking down on the masses because of ones wealth, skills and/or education does.

Likewise there is a very big difference between being highly-educated and highly-inteligent. For example, half my college professors were morons ..., and lets not forget that Bush went to Yale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:27 pm 

Personally, I wouldn't care if Obama was an Arab and/or a Muslim (since not all Arabs are Muslim and not all Muslims are Arab). I don't like his politics. I also think he's making many promisses that he won't be able to keep, and I don't like the extremely negative turn his campaign has taken recently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:30 pm 

PS.) Real lemmings don't jump off cliffs. That's just a myth, like the one about ostriches burying their heads in the sand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:15 pm 

Quote:
Being wealthy, skilled and/or highly educated doesn't make one an elitist. Looking down on the masses because of ones wealth, skills and/or education does.
Would you care to point out where you got that definition from? The definition I referred to was pulled from a wikipedia page. To call someone a elitist is a vague term just like when people say they want to "tone" up their bodies, everyone has a slightly different idea of what those terms mean. We are back to my original statement of there is no clear cut way to define an elitist. Bogus and empty terminology.

Quote:
Likewise there is a very big difference between being highly-educated and highly-inteligent. For example, half my college professors were morons ..., and lets not forget that Bush went to Yale.
IMO they can't be called morons. They were highly intelligent and educated in their fields. Maybe you are referring to a complete lack of common sense? Technically they could call you a moron for not understanding things that they do understand. Lack of common sense doesn't make you a moron in general, you just are a moron when it comes to some real life situations. It's reminds me of IQ tests, if a person scores low then some will make generalizations that they must be a truely stupid person. Lets say that same person is truely a genius when it comes to understanding mathmatics but couldn't understand a poem if their life depended on it, are you still considered a moron? To a mathmatician, no. To an english teacher, yes. Intelligence can not be generalized since there are different ways a person can be intelligent.

Quote:
and I don't like the extremely negative turn his campaign has taken recently.
That was brought on originally by McCain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Matt Z wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't care if Obama was an Arab and/or a Muslim (since not all Arabs are Muslim and not all Muslims are Arab). I don't like his politics. I also think he's making many promisses that he won't be able to keep, and I don't like the extremely negative turn his campaign has taken recently.

Obama's campaign turned negative? He just goes negative on the issues. Saying McCain is out of touch, or wrong about this issue or that.

McCain on the other hand was pushing that whole Ayers thing. Palin said Obama palls around with terrorists. Ayers did what he did 40 years ago when Obama was 8. The thing (I forget what it was) that linked the two also had other politicians including republicans.

Then you have McCain and Palin going around saying "Who is Obama?" at all their speeches. I'm just thinking, well did you try reading his 2 autobiographies? That might be a good place to start.

Who is Palin? She won't answer any questions? At least we know the other 3 people in the race. Of course doing some looking around will let you know more about Palin, which makes me understand why she won't answer questions aside from the couple interviews.

Now if Obama was going negative like McCain he might say something like, "Did you see Palin's interview oh my god, what a total tard. She's dumber than Bush, which I didn't think was possible. Wow McCain must be going senile, it's the only explanation."

Now that would be equal to the Ayers BS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:57 am 

Quote:
Wow McCain must be going senile, it's the only explanation
He probably already is senile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:07 pm 

"IMO they can't be called morons. They were highly intelligent and educated in their fields. Maybe you are referring to a complete lack of common sense? Technically they could call you a moron for not understanding things that they do understand. Lack of common sense doesn't make you a moron in general, you just are a moron when it comes to some real life situations. It's reminds me of IQ tests, if a person scores low then some will make generalizations that they must be a truely stupid person. Lets say that same person is truely a genius when it comes to understanding mathmatics but couldn't understand a poem if their life depended on it, are you still considered a moron? To a mathmatician, no. To an english teacher, yes. Intelligence can not be generalized since there are different ways a person can be intelligent." - ironmaiden708

What would you call a history professor who knows alarmingly little about history and refers to facts as "trivia"? How about a criminal justice professor who thinks that France executes more prisoners than the US, Russia or China? That was an actual test question, and it wasn't a typo.

However, you do raise an interesting point. Why is a mathmatician who only knows math considered an intelectual, while a plumber who only knows plumbing isn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:32 pm 

Matt Z wrote:
However, you do raise an interesting point. Why is a mathmatician who only knows math considered an intelectual, while a plumber who only knows plumbing isn't.

That is a good point. I changed a toliet once, and like an idiot, looked in the pipe.

Plumbers are now one of my hero's, they put up will all kinds of crap. But seriously, your 100% correct, and it's wrong.

If you don't mind me asking, how expensive was your school?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:34 pm 

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Quote:
Wow McCain must be going senile, it's the only explanation
He probably already is senile.

Or completely unable to see the forest for the trees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:02 pm 

Quote:
What would you call a history professor who knows alarmingly little about history and refers to facts as "trivia"? How about a criminal justice professor who thinks that France executes more prisoners than the US, Russia or China? That was an actual test question, and it wasn't a typo.
I would say those two professors that should get their facts straight and shouldn't be teaching history classes. Or if their ideology is emotionally driven then they should not allow emotion to cloud their perception of a specific issue. Using emotion to make descisions is ignorance at its best. All people do it, but should strive not to in specific situations since it can cause more harm than good.

Quote:
Well if you wanted to be technical you could call a master plumber a genius in plumbing and i never said that just because a person is a plumber that they are a moron. Well what kind of education does it take to become a master plumber vs a math genius and how does society view a plumber vs a mathmatician? Who do they view as being more useful to society? Which of the two requires more formal education?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:01 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Well I know I can do a lot DIY plumbing but I couldn't do DIY on Fermat's Last Theorem! lol

But on a serious note I will soon be working in an area that strived for years for the term Professional to be used about it. That's right, I'm going to be a nurse! After 3 years of University including 32 weeks of practical placements on hospital wards, community health centres, mental health wards and rural and remote health stations I get to start my Graduate Training Year. So 4 years of training, plus ongoing on the job training once qualified, to become a nurse. I get to be called a professional because hundreds before me declared that their position was worth the title. They then took the training out of the hospitals and into the universities because in the eyes of the hierarchy of the day a professional MUST be university trained and posses a Bachelors Degree at the minimum.

My best friend is a Roof Plumber, 4 years on the job apprenticeship plus ongoing on the job training when new materials or legislation comes into effect. He is not considered a professional roof plumber by society, whether or not it is justified in this instance, yet his yearly earnings (before overtime on my part) are far higher than mine will ever be unless I can make it to a Clinical Nursing Manager which, by law, requires a minimum of 7 years experience.

So he will earn more money than me, the length of original training is similar and there is ongoing training in both jobs, yet I am the one who gets the label. That last word is what it's all about! A label, that's all it is! I'm willing to bet that Nurses still receieve the same level of respect from their peers as they did 30 years ago, but now that they have that title their wages have increased dramatically, yet the Roof Plumber makes a good living so who cares about a stupid label? And it's the same with Elitist, it's just a label thrown on that sounds 'bad' to the regular folk so that McCain and Co. can prey on their misguided interpretation of the word!

Anyway, I think the US would benefit from a Democrtic leadership after the last 8 years of idiocy!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:44 am 

jeffrerr wrote:
Anyway, I think the US would benefit from a Democrtic leadership after the last 8 years of idiocy!

John

Well said, but they have controlled Congress for awhile... UGH.

I'm thinking we need a new option, brand new, maybe middle, IDK but something needs to give.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next