ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238 ... 265  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random crap
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:29 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

noted

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:13 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
I think kpj is trying to convince me to make "Getting Injured" my new goal for 2013.. maybe I should read more closely..oh the eidt.
Ok, whew, good thing I had time to go back.
But you might be over thinking

It's like you have to run out of gas and hike it a few miles before you start filling the tank prior to highway trips across wide open spaced, sort of.
Or touch a hot stove.
But, we dont need to learn all the lessons one at a time. I'll learn from your hamstring injury, thank you.

:lol: Just seen this. And yes, i'm over thinking. It's a hobby of mine.

KPj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:15 pm 

KPj wrote:
A random training ramble.

KPj

I think your thinking is flawed. I believe most elite athletes push themselves to their genetic potential limits. If anything goes slightly wrong when you are redlined, you have a greater potential to get injured. If you take an average person who goes beyond their current physical limits, their body can handle it. For the most part, their ligaments, tendons, etc. can handle it. For an elite athlete, their isn't as much of a safety factor.

I teach a rigging class (attaching chains and slings to loads to be lifted with a crane). There is a lot of truth to "the weak link" cliche. If you have chains, shackles, etc and the weakest of the components can lift 5,000 pounds then in theory you can lift 5000 pounds without any problems. If you have a hoist that can only lift 2000 pounds, you will never be in any danger because the hoist isn't strong enough to pick up close to the limit anyways. Now let's say your equipment is highly tuned and everything lines up and you can lift 5000 pounds. However, the shackle is slightly damaged. In a perfect condition it could pick up 5000 pounds. However, the damage reduces the capacity to 4500. You try to pick up 5000 and the shackle fails - an injury occurs.

That's my 2 cents, but I know better than to argue with Kenny.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:45 pm 

i'm in london at the weekend. which beer do you recommend?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:30 pm 

KPj wrote:
A random training ramble.

I've never spoke to or heard of a successful (define it however you want) athlete who hasn't had to overcome an injury. I don't just mean serious things like tears or breaks but, consistent aches and pains, too.

I doubt I'd be where I am today, nor would I have studied so hard, had I not gotten hurt.

OTOH, I'd probably be 190 pounds of muscle had I not gotten hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:51 pm 

ephs wrote:

domestic british beer is swill. Drink the imported European stuff but prepare to get hosed. London is super pricey for booze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:58 pm 

robertscott wrote:
ephs wrote:

domestic british beer is swill. Drink the imported European stuff but prepare to get hosed. London is super pricey for booze

yeah, i heard about the prices, that sucks. what about scottish beers? don't they have a good reputation?

edit: i mean irish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:25 pm 

Guinness is awesome, but really the mass produced uk beers are an embarrassment. Drink imported

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:55 am 

All the beer I drink is imported. Kronenbourg, Carlsberg Export, Peroni, Stella, San Miguel etc. If you like ale there's unlimited amounts of random ones in any traditional pub. Ale is the only thing that gives me a headache the next day though, it goes down way too easily. Ale is good at beer festivals.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:34 am 

hoosegow wrote:
I think your thinking is flawed. I believe most elite athletes push themselves to their genetic potential limits. If anything goes slightly wrong when you are redlined, you have a greater potential to get injured. If you take an average person who goes beyond their current physical limits, their body can handle it. For the most part, their ligaments, tendons, etc. can handle it. For an elite athlete, their isn't as much of a safety factor.

I can certainly see the flaws in thinking injury may be necessary or beneficial!

I agree with what you said. Makes sense. Higher performance means less room for error. I really like car analogies so it could be like a commute to work versus racing on a track. Driving to work, you can get away with taking your eyes off the road, day dreaming, even eating or talking on the phone (yes you're not supposed to be but most do anyway). However, if racing on a track at high speed you can't afford to eat your lunch whilst talking to your friend on the phone.

I would genuinely like to think injury wasn't essential.

My strongest female client has never really been injured yet she is highly motivated, very determined. Well, she had some shoulder pain when I started training her but at that time she was a class fanatic (spin, circuits, boxing, etc - all of them) and didn't do any lifting or train for anything in particular. Cardio freak, basically. I've just made her a training partner, too. I'm in control of her training and like to think she will never get injured as a result of poor programming or technique. I should never say never, obviously.

KPj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:34 am 

robertscott wrote:
Guinness is awesome, but really the mass produced uk beers are an embarrassment. Drink imported

allright! thx!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:02 pm 

I just saw a Great Blue Heron killing a rodent (vole or small rat) on my way home from work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:16 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Nevage wrote:
All the beer I drink is imported. Kronenbourg, Carlsberg Export, Peroni, Stella, San Miguel etc. If you like ale there's unlimited amounts of random ones in any traditional pub. Ale is the only thing that gives me a headache the next day though, it goes down way too easily. Ale is good at beer festivals.

Most of those beers you mention, or lagers to be exact, are brewed in the UK now under licence. The best UK lager I have come across is Moravka, which is brewed in Buxton.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:57 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

neighbors moved
during the night, over several nights
one night made 5+ trips in the wee hours
no for sale sign, no information
we are on a "Hey, how's it going" basis
at first I thought maybe just him/her, but its emply
left behind a car they haven't driven in months
friendly folks with 3 kids, one away in college
one of their boys was in our b.yard with gun, I asked
"chasing off some racoons"
"Nope, a cat" - they have 4 outdoor cats. Keep area clean of vermin
"That gray one" - gray cat wonders in amongst theirs and start fights
"Yep, it's gotta go, sir"
"alrighty, good luck" - I said this thinking, like his momma, he was shooting to scare it off. This conversation occurred 3 days into thier "move". I never asked him or any of them what was up. Looking back, I'm not sure why he was bothering with the cat during their move - at that instant I reasoned "I guess they aren't all moving.

Foreclousure and witness protection is all I can think at this time
I do miss the cats. May need to get one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:21 pm 

If you do, you might want to keep it indoors. Otherwise some little a-hole kid might try to shoot it.

PS) I really hope you're talking about a BB gun or Airsoft, and not an actual firearm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 238 ... 265  Next