ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random crap
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:04 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Seen in gym: Education is important, but big biceps are importanter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:45 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

So.. As the whole personal training thing finally may be coming to fruition in the next few months, I have started to really think and plan for the next steps i'll take.

One of these steps which has been at the back of my mind for a couple of years is a website.

Since it's a bit premature just now to get the site in action, I have been doing some back ground work. So, I have the videos, with more to come and i'll keep adding (got over 20, just training videos). I've also been preparing site content.

So whenever something is on my mind, I just write about it in a word document. This is so when my site goes up, I have months of content at my disposal and "too busy" won't be an excuse.

Right now, that document is sitting at 12,000 words.....

I actually really struggle to keep things short. I've made a conscious effort to keep them as short as possible. Most of what i've written, I've went back over it and took stuff out.

As an example, I got asked why I bench with an arch. So I wrote a post about benching with arch vs flat back. I try and write in a way that people in my gym would be able to understand. Anyway, 1700 words.

I knew I wrote a lot but i've only just started quantifying it. I write A LOT. I don't try and write lengthy posts, just happens. Need to work on being more precise, and simpler, I reckon.

KPj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:27 am 

I wear a Tilly hat and those big, googly sunglasses that fit over your regular glasses. I look like I should be on a seniors cruise somewhere. I'm pretty good at causing disputes. Solving them take work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:32 am 

I got an invite to 2 powerlifting competitions. One is a scottish championship which is invitation only to ensure a high standard. Another is a British championship that you also need a qualifying total for. Granted, I can't attend either of them but i'm really pleased I got the invites. Wasn't expected this year. This year was all about getting my feet wet, really.

And my training partner is competing in a national competition in a couple of weeks, in the Scottish team. After my last competition I'm actually ranked above the lifter who is in my category for that competition - too late to be considered for it, but again i'm just surprised/pleased.

KPj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:45 am 

Congratulations, Kenny!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:53 am 

Friends--I probably will be on the forum a bit less in the next few weeks. We have had major internet issues, and are transitioning from a VSAT satellite system to using pay-as-you-go cellular service. Our old system was expensive, but once paid for was unlimited. With the new system we'll be paying for every megabyte. Probably won't cost any more over the year, maybe even less, but I'll have to be much more conscious of my time on line. Those of you who have my email, feel free to email me. That doesn't eat up the mb very fast. I'll try to pop on from time to time, comment or post something interesting, and post my workouts to my journal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:22 pm 

"Funny story, the only time I would go to the gym was when someone wanted to challenge me. I built muscle from work not workouts and at my last challenge I dead lifted 800."

My wife's uncle posted this comment on my facebook status. Not only is he completely full of crap, he doesn't even work. He hasn't had a job in the entire time I've known him. Instead he makes his living off insurance fraud, nuisance lawsuits and most recently by living off his son, who was awarded money from the Army after being injured in basic training. To top it all off, he's also a holier-than-thou phony Christian, and likes to pretend he's a model husband and father. He even had himself ordained a minister through some online BS, although he has no church or congregation. Basically, he's the scum of the earth, and I badly want to rip into him for all his lies and hypocrisy, but my wife insists that I'm nice to him, since he's her uncle and godfather.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:05 pm 

I'm getting really tired of the d-bags at my gym constantly dropping dumbbells. Many of the dumbbells are bent or loose, and it's unlikely they're going to be replaced any time soon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:04 am 

Matt Z wrote:
I'm getting really tired of the d-bags at my gym constantly dropping dumbbells. Many of the dumbbells are bent or loose, and it's unlikely they're going to be replaced any time soon.

Last week, the same "type" dropped their DB's after some incline DB press. Their bench was about 3-4 metres from my (female) client and me. The DB bounced towards us and hit my clients foot. It caught her from behind, hitting her heel, probably the best place to take an impact like that, rather than on the side or front where the ankle or toe would of got it.

The guy responsible was surrounded by training partners, too. 3 of them! Not sure what their purpose was. This was at 6pm, peak time, when the weights area is crowded. I'm not sure what goes through peoples head.

KPj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lots of dumbbell droppers at the gym I had been working out at too. It's pretty annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:34 pm 

None of them are especially strong, but they nearly all try to lift more than they can handle. Mostly they do partials or assisted partials.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:52 am 

What an experience I just had. Over in Belfast for the 4-nations powerlifting championships. This is a team event between Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland. There's equipped and unequipped lifting. 6 in each, 3 men, 3 women. So, 12 in total for each team.

My former client and current training partner was in the Unequipped females category. I got to assist in coaching the whole team but was responsible for the unequipped females, whilst the head coach ran the males, platform/attempts. Then I was with the equipped males in the afternoon, helping them get into their gear and keeping them right with warm ups, timing, feedback, and loading, and generally running about after them.

Oh, Scotland won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one can even remember the last time Scotland won a competition like this.

Learned a tonne and got to mix with the strongest people in the UK, as well as working side by side with a powerlifting coach who has 40 years (!!!!!!) experience in the sport, 5 world titles himself, and who coaches one of the best lifters in Europe, who on this day got a 3.6 x /w squat (330KG at 92KG b/w). Was quite humbled when a few lifters i've followed for years knew me and knew what I lifted (most know me for my deadlift..).

Quite excited about what next year will bring. I could potentially be in the team, but if not i'll definitely be coaching and helping.

KPj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:43 am 

Congratulations, Kenny, to you and to Scotland!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:31 am 

Happy Thanksgiving.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:44 pm 

Today at the gym I saw someone doing Goblet Squats incorrectly. It was painful to watch. ... narrow stance, shallow depth, elbows outside knees, rounded back, chin down ... Pretty much everything a person could do wrong, all at once.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264  Next