ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3964 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218 ... 265  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random crap
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hoosegow wrote:
See Ironman, we agree on most things.

But...

Ironman wrote:
I don't care what the court says, that's what the amendment says.

That sounds kind of funny coming from you.

Yea, it does, doesn't it. You see if the courts are making an interpretation or applying a legal precedent from one thing to something similar, then yea what the court says matters.

However if the constitution says You can do X as part of doing Y, where it is 100% cut and dry, and then the court says you can do X without doing Y, That's an obvious contradiction.

But you never know, maybe they just said that because the 9th amendment makes it irrelevant.

That's the way I look at a lot of stuff. People who are mentally kid-like, should get treated like kids. That way responsible adults can do what they want without politicians poking their nose in where it doesn't belong.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:14 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Hmm I think I'm alone on my opinion when it comes to gun laws.

I don't think anyone should be allowed to own a gun. Use one, yes but not own or carry one around wherever they want. If you want to go hunting or to a shooting range you can borrow a gun and use it for the day or for hunting, a week or two. You would have to have a license to use a weapon and a hunting license for hunting. This way it would be easier to register the firearms (I would think).

So if you went to a gun shop you could only walk away with the firearm (must be separated from the ammo) if you have both a firearms license and a hunting license. But if you went to a shooting range they would supply the guns and ammo, as long as you have a license. Also no Fully automatic weapons for hunting, only semi and bolt action rifles. Target range can have everything.

I think its better to try and get the guns off the streets entirely and decrease the chances of those guns getting into the wrong hands.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:19 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

your thinking is the exact same as mine Jebus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:04 pm 

"I also think you should need to get some sort of license, where you prove you are not crazy, no criminal record, and that you are generally a responsible adult." - Ironman

Isn't that the point of background checks. Licensing would only create a public record of gun owners. It would be like a big kick-me sign for gun thieves. It would also make it easier for the government to confiscate firearms at a later date.

Also, it shouldn't be my responsibility to prove I'm "okay." Rather, the burden should be on the government to prove I'm a danger before infringing on my rights.

Last edited by Matt Z on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:13 pm 

"I also think the 2nd amendment stipulates one must be in the national guard (militias were turned into that). I don't care what the court says, that's what the amendment says." - Ironman

A) The National Guard is nothing like a colonial militia.
B) The 2nd Amendment never says you have to be a member of a militia to keep and bear arms. In fact, militias were formed as-needed and often disbanded in peacetime.
C) The only reason militias are even mension is that colonial militiamen provided their own weapons. Hence you couldn't have a militia without private gun ownership.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:18 pm 

"Now as far as pointing to either stricter or looser gun laws making things more or less safe, I call bull$h1t on all of the above. No matter which position you take, there is evidence that supports you, and evidence that contradicts." - Ironman

If the government proposes to limit personal freedoms (especially a constitutionally protected right), then the burden is on the government to justify such actions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:40 pm 

"I don't think anyone should be allowed to own a gun. Use one, yes but not own or carry one around wherever they want. If you want to go hunting or to a shooting range you can borrow a gun and use it for the day or for hunting, a week or two. You would have to have a license to use a weapon and a hunting license for hunting. This way it would be easier to register the firearms (I would think)." - Jebus

Aside from preventing lawful self defense there are several big problems with this approach.

Firstly, who would you borrow weapons from?

Secondly, if you're going to use a gun for hunting, you need to be familiar with that particular gun. It needs to be sighted in for you, and you need to practice with it regularly. Hunting with an unfamiliar weapon is irresponsible and potentially dangerous.

Selection would also be limited, and of course it wouldn't be possible to customize a borrowed gun. This could be a real problem for shooters of smaller or larger stature.

Many of these same problems apply to target shooting, especially competative taget shooting. An Olympic Shooting Team would be at a HUGE disadvantage shooting with borrowed guns (if they could even find suitable weapons to compete with).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:42 pm 

By the way, I've heard that some of the shooting events at the London Olympics are actually being held outside of the country because they would violate UK gun laws.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:40 pm 

Attempting to change the subject ...

My wife and I had our first date 10 years ago today. I got her a metal venus flytrap and she got me a book ... "The Last Ivory Hunter: The Saga of Wally Johnson" by Peter H. Capstick.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:16 am 

My daughter broke the growth plate in her right ankle coming down after trying to block a shot. I love the hustle in that kid. She's a beast on the court. (Yah, I know. I'm proud)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:29 am 
Novice
Novice

Matt Z wrote:
"I don't think anyone should be allowed to own a gun. Use one, yes but not own or carry one around wherever they want. If you want to go hunting or to a shooting range you can borrow a gun and use it for the day or for hunting, a week or two. You would have to have a license to use a weapon and a hunting license for hunting. This way it would be easier to register the firearms (I would think)." - Jebus

Aside from preventing lawful self defense there are several big problems with this approach.

Firstly, who would you borrow weapons from?

Secondly, if you're going to use a gun for hunting, you need to be familiar with that particular gun. It needs to be sighted in for you, and you need to practice with it regularly. Hunting with an unfamiliar weapon is irresponsible and potentially dangerous.

Selection would also be limited, and of course it wouldn't be possible to customize a borrowed gun. This could be a real problem for shooters of smaller or larger stature.

Many of these same problems apply to target shooting, especially competative taget shooting. An Olympic Shooting Team would be at a HUGE disadvantage shooting with borrowed guns (if they could even find suitable weapons to compete with).

Well you would borrow the guns from shooting clubs, in the same way that many do in England. But a middle ground would surely work the best, you can buy a gun, modify it as you want but you cant store it at home - that way the only downside would be not have a gun at home or have one to carry round with you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:18 am 

STOP the topicness! MODS - I REQUEST DELETE ANY GUN CONTROL COMMENT FROM NOW ON IN THIS THREAD - WHETHER FOR OR AGAINST!

Randomness folks! R-A-N-D-O-M

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:30 am 
Novice
Novice

In exactly a month, I will be allowed into hospitals to see patients. It is terrifying, I cant even legally drink in America yet...

Maybe not random (or interesting) enough, but going round in my mind..

Last edited by medic002 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:28 pm 

"STOP the topicness! MODS - I REQUEST DELETE ANY GUN CONTROL COMMENT FROM NOW ON IN THIS THREAD - WHETHER FOR OR AGAINST!" - hoosegow

I second.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:34 pm 

I stopped at SGL#145 after work today. While I was there I saw mallards, a black vulture, turkey vultures, a hawk, a cardinal, an indigo bunting, 2 painted turtles, a frog, dragonflies, grasshoppers and butterflies. From there I went to Quittapahilla Preserve where I saw a mallard, a great egret, sandpipers, red-winged blackbirds, 5 cottontails, a muskrat, a snapping turtle, dragonflies and butterflies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3964 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218 ... 265  Next