ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220 ... 265  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random crap
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:25 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Driving is a privilege, but then no one is trying to ban cars, or even to reduce the number of drivers. There are however many groups and individuals in the US dedicated to banning firearms, so it's understandable that gun owners are generally suspicious of plans to register guns or licence gun owners. Many feel such measures are stepping stones toward total prohibition.

It also seems pretty clear that we disagree on the effectiveness of gun control in disarming criminals (who tend to aquire guns illegally anyway), and as Ironman said there's evidence to support both sides on this one.

I would agree of course that gun bans are effective at disarming law abiding citizens, but I fail to see how giving up my guns would make me or my family any safer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:45 pm 

boy this party really died

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:32 pm 

I cut down some "weeds" at my parents house today. Of course some of them were 10' tall with trunks 2" in diameter.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:34 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

an Uzi would have made that task easier.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:35 pm 

Somehow I doubt it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:42 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Matt Z wrote:
Driving is a privilege, but then no one is trying to ban cars, or even to reduce the number of drivers. There are however many groups and individuals in the US dedicated to banning firearms, so it's understandable that gun owners are generally suspicious of plans to register guns or licence gun owners. Many feel such measures are stepping stones toward total prohibition.

It also seems pretty clear that we disagree on the effectiveness of gun control in disarming criminals (who tend to aquire guns illegally anyway), and as Ironman said there's evidence to support both sides on this one.

I would agree of course that gun bans are effective at disarming law abiding citizens, but I fail to see how giving up my guns would make me or my family any safer.

Your first point is a slippery slope fallacy. FYI, I wouldn't support gun registration if people are allowed to keep guns in their homes, which is why I'm for a rental system only. Exceptions could be made for officers or private detectives, etc.

This Idea that I have would be highly improbably to implement in the US. The difference in laws wouldn't be so drastic in other countries like Canada. With the laws we have, its pretty unlikely that you would be able to unlock your gun, unlock you ammo, load your ammo, load your gun and shoot the bad guy. Even if you do, you would probably be sent to jail...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:50 pm 

"The difference in laws wouldn't be so drastic in other countries like Canada. With the laws we have, its pretty unlikely that you would be able to unlock your gun, unlock you ammo, load your ammo, load your gun and shoot the bad guy. Even if you do, you would probably be sent to jail..." - Jebus

Is that really something to shoot for ... a society where ordinary people have neither the ability nor the legal right to defend themselves?

Also, I have to wonder what the average police response time is in some of the more remote parts of Canada. I'm guessing it would be measured in hours, if not days. That's a very long time to wait for help in a life threatening situation.

PS) I just started a gun control thread. If you want to continue this, I suggest you post there and keep "Random crap" random.

Last edited by Matt Z on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:52 pm 

My daughter (13 months) had a cone-head sundae tonight. She got hot fudge EVERYWHERE.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:51 pm 

These guys are locally based and they go to some of the restaurants in my neighbourhood.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:22 am 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549 Intermittent Fasting benefits.

This should be interesting, it's on tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:55 am 

Nevage wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549 Intermittent Fasting benefits.

This should be interesting, it's on tonight.

ooh, I'll probably not be home in time to watch that but I'll give it a look tomorrow.

I hate that guy that's presenting it though...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:58 am 

teafan wrote:
Being from the UK, I flat out don't understand the gun law arguments. The US has more gun crime than any other country because of their gun laws. I do understand that a certain amount of it is "pandora is out of her box and it's pretty tricky to stuff her back in" though.

I don't believe that the US has more gun crime than any other country. It also does not have the most lax gun laws. And criminals often get hold of illegal guns in any country.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:59 am 

"Bumfuzzled" is a real word.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:37 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
teafan wrote:
Being from the UK, I flat out don't understand the gun law arguments. The US has more gun crime than any other country because of their gun laws. I do understand that a certain amount of it is "pandora is out of her box and it's pretty tricky to stuff her back in" though.

I don't believe that the US has more gun crime than any other country. It also does not have the most lax gun laws. And criminals often get hold of illegal guns in any country.

oi! Take it outside there slugger...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:40 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
"Bumfuzzled" is a real word.

surely it's a colloquialism? I wouldn't allow it if we were playing scrabble.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 220 ... 265  Next