ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3964 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 265  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:16 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I believe it's an acient warm up that works the jaw. When he finishes this warm up he will then track down a younger lifter and tell him the "Advanced" techniques of his youth and how in his day the only weight he could find was a calf at the local dairy so he would work out by lifting said calf until it turned out he could lift a bull, or at least learned some bullsh*t!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:41 am 

Oops, did it again.

Last edited by Jungledoc on Fri May 29, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:59 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Have I gone crazy, or has Jungledoc posted the same thing 3 times! lol

I dont mind...well, unless i'm wrong and I AM crazy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:12 am 

I do not know if you've gone crazy. Jungledoc has posted the same thing 3 times. Don't assume a relationship. You may be crazy whether or not Jungledoc has posted any particular number of times.

However, Jungledoc has gone crazy, and is trying to take over the world.

I'm currently using one of those cell-phone internet gizmos that you plug into a USB port. I was in an area with a marginal signal. I kept losing the connection. It looked to me like the post had not gone, so I tried again. And again.

Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:16 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

It's official! The Doc say's i'm crazy! Nooooooooooooooooooo! (not again!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:32 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

What trains your 'heart' more effectively.

120 bpm for 5 minutes on a BIKE. OR, 120 bpm for 5 minutes RUNNING.

I actually had this debate last week with someone. Jeeez. Then that 'someone' asked some trainer in his gym, who said, "running is 15% more effective for your heart than doing the same on a bike". Oh, well then. He must be correct. End of discussion. Of course it's obvious, if your heart is beating at 120 BPM vs beating at 120 BPM, obviously it's working harder when it beats at 120 BPM. Nice logic there.

You know what. Deadlifts are 50% more effective for training your heart than running and therefore, 65% more effective than doing it on a bike. See, I can pull figures out my a$$ too.

And obviously the 20KG disc i'm holding in my left hand is heavier than the 20KG disc i'm holding in my right hand.

And obviously a tonne of bricks is heavier than a tonne of feathers.

And a pound of muscle is heavier than a pound of fat.

Yeh yeh, even though we're both speeding down the motor way at 100mph, i'm going faster. INFACT, i'm going 15% faster, so screw you.

This logic is fun.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:43 am 

One last thing. I know i've basically slated my tutor on this instuctor course but i'm learning that although I 'disagree' with him, I don't 'dislike' him. Stole that from Mike Boyle but, it's the truth. Anyway.

He gave a session basically slating Ab classes which made my respect for him go up significantly. Sure, there was still the odd puke-in-my-mouth tidbit, you know, but I can deal with that now.

Anyway, he offered a nice take on the Spot Reduction myth. Obviously the theory behind ab classes is, do loads of ab exercises, and you'll 'tone' up the abs (lose the belly fat that's hiding them). A few of the girls in the course love their ab classes, so challenged him. He came right out and said,

"do people who chew chewing gum have very skinny faces??"

HAHA. What a way of putting it. I'm stealing that one.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:56 pm 

Dude, Kpj keep it coming. The logic post is priceless.

My random crap: 75 hours without a smoke, and yes I want one, very very badly, but I may not...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:30 pm 

nygmen wrote:
Dude, Kpj keep it coming. The logic post is priceless.

My random crap: 75 hours without a smoke, and yes I want one, very very badly, but I may not...
good job Nygmen.

I quit last year. Sadly, I still have soMe cravings, but won't give in. Life really is better without nicotene .

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:32 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

nygmen wrote:

I assume you are quitting cigs.....good for you! I can say that quitting was one of the best things I ever did....and its been almost 5 years. Be strong and keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:29 pm 

Thanks guys... All is well. 5 days strong.

Almost snapped today, but I'm good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:35 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Good work dude! My dad has just quit a month ago, he was a 50 a day smoker! When I was a kid he was a 120 a day smoker, I kid you not! He would be lighting one up with one hand and butting his last one out with the other ALL DAY! Then he quit cold turkey for 12 years, took it back up when he got a new girlfriend who smoked after he split with my mum! He turns 60 in July so he thought it was time to do it again! lol!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:44 am 

jeffrerr wrote:
Good work dude! My dad has just quit a month ago, he was a 50 a day smoker! When I was a kid he was a 120 a day smoker, I kid you not! He would be lighting one up with one hand and butting his last one out with the other ALL DAY! Then he quit cold turkey for 12 years, took it back up when he got a new girlfriend who smoked after he split with my mum! He turns 60 in July so he thought it was time to do it again! lol!

And yet, my wife gets angry when I tell her women are the devil... Go figure :green:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:16 am 

Woah! 120 a day? I don't know whether to be impressed or horrified. I quit smoking for about 3 years, then one day was doing my shopping and the lass behind the counter asked "Anything else?" and without even thinking i replied "20 Lambert and Butler ta," and that was that. I was smokign again through no conscious decision of my own after 3 years off them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:04 am 

Rant warning.

Weight Watchers, Slimmers World, and all the other over simplified and high carb low fat low protein diet clubs are mostly for people who lack the motivation to think.

I used to have some good things to say about these 'clubs', even though I never agreed with their advice specifically, if that makes sense. But, I just become increasingly frustrated with it.

Weight Watchers and similar are like 'body pump' - fat people do it, and fat people love it, and fat people defend it to the death. Not heard many 'former fat people' say many positive things about either, although i'm sure there's some exceptions to the rule.

WW is a good 'start' for some people, but, I think it's also a big fat excuse for a lot of fat people because it's a system they can adhere to but still do the things that make them fat in the first place. So, they kind of abuse it, but they don't, because the systems are actually designed to be abused. Example, "i'm going out tonight so i'll SAVE all my daily points and use them when I go out". Sure. That's also called binging. Binge eating, binge drinking, or both. Whatever.

You know when you're a kid and you get taught all these 'simpler' ways of remembering things. STOP, LOOK, LISTEN (before crossing the road). "i before E except after C". Weight watchers does the same thing. They have a really simple system that any 5 year old could understand so that they don't eat 'too much'. All they need now is a song to go with it, and it really will be getting taught to 5 year olds before long.

My sister (who i've been training) asked me for some guidelines fo her diet the other day. I printed her out JB's 10 habbits. A fatty grabbed the sheet of paper like it was the last cupcake on earth, read the first,2 or 3, screwed up her face, and gave it back. I know exactly why she done that. It didn't say, "eat chillies with every meal and you'll lose 20lbs per week". Or something similar.

People just cling on to these systems... "i like it because, i've got my points per day, I know how much I can have, and I can eat almost anything as long as I stick to my daily points...". What a lot of crap. How about, "i like it because it works". I've never heard anyone say that about these 'clubs'. Guess what, if you've been doing it 5 years, and you're still fat, it's NOT working! Screw your dam points.

KPj

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3964 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 265  Next