ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:19 pm 

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not thinking about competing, with my 185-pound bench and 195-pound squat. I'm just curious.

Is there much standardization in strongman competitions? I'm aware of the IFSA (I can Google), but do they sanction most of the meets? Are there other sanctioning bodies?

I get the impression that most meets use a unique combination of events, and that it's hard to compare one to the other.

I'm genuinely impressed by anyone who competes in any of these events.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:02 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Jungledoc wrote:
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not thinking about competing, with my 185-pound bench and 195-pound squat. I'm just curious.

Is there much standardization in strongman competitions? I'm aware of the IFSA (I can Google), but do they sanction most of the meets? Are there other sanctioning bodies?

I get the impression that most meets use a unique combination of events, and that it's hard to compare one to the other.

I'm genuinely impressed by anyone who competes in any of these events.

1st, Don't worry about the bench and squat numbers. I've done about 15 competitions so far, many of them being pro qualifiers, and have never done either in a competition. The World's Strongest Man does it but that's another story.

As far as standardization with the events, not really. You may have a barbell deadlift for reps, 2" thick axle deadlift for reps, or car deadlift. Every competitor usually knows the events in advance, but, since many of the stuff is homemade, it's pretty much up to the promoter. As a competitor, you just have to show up and be more well rounded than everyone else. A good mix of max effort strength and work capacity is required. Basically, you have to be able to move heavy weights fast!

As for organizations, TWI (they host world's strongest man) and Strongman Champions League (SCL) rule the international pro circuit. They top athlete's from SCL get invited to TWI's world's. (generally, unfortunatly there are some politics involved). IFSA has been out of business for a year or two.

I don't know about New Guinea, but here in the states we have an amature organization:

North American Strongman Society (NAS)
www.nastrongmaninc.com

and a pro organization
American Strongman Corp. (ASC)
www.americanstrongman.org

To turn pro, you must win a platinum plus level show or nationals. Then, you move up to ASC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:04 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Another good site for info www.marunde-muscle.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:23 pm 

Thanks Jason!