ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Health class
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:33 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

So I got downgraded on a nutrition project for health class for suggesting that fat was in fact healthy and that grains are harmful.
I'm already looking forward to our next topic: exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:40 pm 

That's what would happen to me so I just go along with it most of the time. When I've got my degree I'll be more outspoken and if i do a masters I can do the research myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:35 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

You could probably get away with it if you included a caveat about alternative hypothesis and show where your project differed from government recommendations. Government recommendations are only updated every 5 years so the the rules are scheduled to be rewritten this year. You're just more advanced than the teacher is.

A parallel situation exists in the driving world. When you take a Defensive Driving Course you learn that the recommended following time is 3 seconds, however if you write the provincial test you will be marked wrong unless you say 2 seconds, because that's what's in the book that hasn't been updated yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:41 am 

So jml, your teacher had a problem with facts, is that correct? Take him/her/it your references and argue your point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:27 am 

I actually wouldn't recommend arguing with them.

I've completed an instructor course months ago and doing the final one just now. There's plenty that I know/knew was 'wrong'. What do you think goes through my head when I read things like,

"squat downwards to the quarter squat position". (describing how to squat)

Or,

"it's true, fat makes you fat".

Makes me want to bite the tutors face but, where would that get me? Won't make the course any easier and could potentially make it more difficult.

You just need to sit down, bite your tongue and learn what you need to learn to pass. Even if you made the tutor see the light, it's not going to change anything for you.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:41 am 

KPj wrote:

You just need to sit down, bite your tongue and learn what you need to learn to pass. Even if you made the tutor see the light, it's not going to change anything for you.

KPj

Exactly. I mean, some teachers are cool about it, and you if present a logical argument with supporting facts that come from reliable sources, even if they don't agree with your argument they'll give the props just for doing it and making a convincing argument with it. But if its a health class, I wouldn't try to go above in beyond. The only instructors it ever worked for me with were english and speech classes. And health is actually a pretty touchy subject for most- at least those who really look into health issues and whatnot. For instance, I know everyone here gets annoyed when a random poster comes in and spouts the usual diet/exercise talk (low fat, high carb, long distance cardio type stuff). The most important thing when writing a paper or speech is KNOWING your audience. It would take a very long time for this health teacher to unlearn what he or she has already learned, as it did for me that long distance cardio is not the best weight loss tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:10 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
Keep in mind that my background is in nutrition, grad school and over 20 years working in research, gov't and academia.

I think she's already made up her mind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Health class is a lot like a religion. Logic, reason and empirical evidence will be ignored.