ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ExRx popularity
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:57 pm 

Out of curiosity, why isn't this site more popular? In my opinion, it is the best site with the most knowledgable group of people for lifting on the internet (myself excluded of course). You get no nonsense, fact based information without any of the usual BS you see on most of the other sites. It has easily the largest collection of exercise videos that anyone can develop a template out of with the equipment on hand. It is also free. I've even recommended it at work for reference on stretching exercises for pre-shift stretching routines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think flashy gimmicky sites tend to be more popular. Sites like this which are anti-gimmick and strictly science based only appeals to certain people.

The truth also seems counter-intuitive when compared to what the person thinks they already know. This just highlights how detrimental false beliefs can be. It displaces the truth. Plus a lot of people don't understand the scientific method and how we know what is true.

There is also this sort of intellectual relativism that is very much in vogue. Where the truth is whatever you think is true, regardless of actual evidence.

That's my take on it anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:08 pm 

I think 80% of the people that use this site don't register, check out how many guests are always online. I used it for about a year or so without registering. Most of my question were answered in other posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:06 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Are you talking about the site or the forums? I think the site would be more even more popular if it was organized better, although it's already got a ton of google juice as it. As an example, on all the pages like http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Quadriceps.html you have to click on the word "Quadriceps" to get from kinesiology to exercises. That's not at all intuitive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:30 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

The site hasn't had a major overhaul in 10 years. I've been browsing this site almost that long and I still find it hard to find stuff. The details have been updated but it's old looking. It's still a very useful site and is referred to by a lot of people.

The forum is the best and I'm made a lot of friends here. I think the strength of the forum is that everybody treats everyone else with respect. That's something you don't find on other sites and I think we can thank the moderators for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:40 am 

stuward wrote:
The site hasn't had a major overhaul in 10 years. I've been browsing this site almost that long and I still find it hard to find stuff. The details have been updated but it's old looking. It's still a very useful site and is referred to by a lot of people.

The forum is the best and I'm made a lot of friends here. I think the strength of the forum is that everybody treats everyone else with respect. That's something you don't find on other sites and I think we can thank the moderators for that.

I agree. This site seems to sort of keep the "meatheads" away (using that term to describe the fratboy type lifters) and just has people giving advice who are strong lifters but haven't forgotten common decency. And most of the posters here seem to balance anecdotal and researched material, as opposed to just one or the other. But like nevage says, I think more people browse the forum than we realize, considering if one goes to the online journals and see how many times they've been viewed...

Post subject: Re: ExRx popularity
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:23 pm 

hoosegow wrote:
Out of curiosity, why isn't this site more popular? In my opinion, it is the best site with the most knowledgable group of people for lifting on the internet (myself excluded of course). You get no nonsense, fact based information without any of the usual BS you see on most of the other sites. It has easily the largest collection of exercise videos that anyone can develop a template out of with the equipment on hand. It is also free. I've even recommended it at work for reference on stretching exercises for pre-shift stretching routines.

The sad truth of the matter is this:

People won't work out if they hear the limitations of things... ie the truths.

It's much easier for people to read things that say "BUILD 20 POUNDS OF MUSCLE IN ONE MONTH" or "GET SIX PACK ABS WITH THESE *EASY* MOVES".

I mean, even yahoo does this $h1t. Every day I see something talking about how to get a 'flat stomach' doing 'these exercise'.

I love this site, personally and I know I've probably got some bro-science stuck in my head somewhere and this site definitely helps me get it out of my head with factual information.

I recommend this site to all my friends, really, but all of them would rather go to BB.com and listen to a bunch of juiced out idiots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:43 pm 

Rucifer wrote:
But like nevage says, I think more people browse the forum than we realize, considering if one goes to the online journals and see how many times they've been viewed...

That's just me, reading everyone's journals. And constantly clicking on my own to check previous workouts and inflate my seeming popularity.

I actually first posted on this site because it seemed like a small but civil group of knowledgeable folks. That hasn't changed, even as people have come and gone.

I wouldn't be an NSCA-CPT now if it wasn't for stumbling on this site and learning from the other forum posters. Even if I had only learned what to go read and who to listen to, that made all the difference in my training.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:09 am 

Just to put this in perspective, if you query "exercises" The top 4 sites are About.com, Wikipedia.com, bodybuilding.com and Exrx.net. Not bad. You can check the stats at Alexa.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:48 am 

Pete my experience is similar to yours. I was an idiot when I first posted here. Now i'm a slightly older, slightly wiser idiot and for that i'm gratefull :grin:

Btw not saying anything about the design of the site but Search Engines basically love boring text filled websites. Content is king. When you have good content people link to your site. Loads of people link to this site and that, coupled with content, makes google love it.

I love the fact that it's too straight/boring looking to keep out all the idiots. "bro talk" bores the hell out of me. I hate the BB's that frown upon anyone with anything less than a vascular 18inch arm and I hate powerlifters who scoff at guys who just want to look better. Here it's simply sharing information and opinions. Disagreeing with someone won't (usually) cause a forum war. Most seem to know the difference between 'disagree and dislike' as Mike Boyle puts it.

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:22 am 

No one is selling anything.

That both explains why it isn't more popular - it's not a product or service site trying to drum up participation and traffic in order to maximize sales - and why the people here like it - we aren't tied to any specific "product" to sell. Be that product a supplement, a diet approach, training for a specific sport, etc. It's more of a general meeting area for people looking to lift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:12 am 

Speak for yourself...

Let me tell you guys about tough actin' tinactin.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:38 pm 

NightFaLL wrote:
Speak for yourself...

Let me tell you guys about tough actin' tinactin.

:)

BOOM! TOUGH ACTIN TINACTIN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:00 pm 

Rucifer wrote:
stuward wrote:

I agree. This site seems to sort of keep the "meatheads" away (using that term to describe the fratboy type lifters) and just has people giving advice who are strong lifters but haven't forgotten common decency. And most of the posters here seem to balance anecdotal and researched material, as opposed to just one or the other. But like nevage says, I think more people browse the forum than we realize, considering if one goes to the online journals and see how many times they've been viewed...
anybody ever looked at the t-nation forums? They're scary. A lot of really angry people posting on t-nation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:02 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

too much t?