ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For people from other countries. The worst of the tea party factions I am describing are a lot like the BNP from the UK. All the Europeans should at least be familiar with that I would think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:27 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

I'm with you IM. Tea parties are diverse, and represent a lot of different views. Hannity and Limbaugh seem to think the tea parties are all about their ideas, but I have news for them, a lot don't care for either Rush, Shawn or Sarah, and feel they're "borrowing" their movement to get republicans back in power. I think what I thought was pretty funny, and right on, was in an interview, Ron Paul said just vote out all incumbents. Said he wouldn't mind if he had to sit out a term. He also said that if you replace the incumbents with a bad seed, just vote that one out too. Sooner or later they'll get the message and start listening and voting for their constituents.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:27 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I like the tea party. They are a lot more libertarian than you think. Hannity and rove and those bulllickers want to coopt them. And the media wants to make them out as Roveian. but really they trash bailout loving Repukes. Seen it. On youtube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:32 pm 

You know something, Poly. That's one of the first statements you've made that I tend to agree with.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:35 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Dan Gable versus Sugar Ray was one of the others... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:15 pm 

Ok since this is turning into a political thread...

I say JAIL the BP execs! If I dumped that much oil I sure as hell would be locked up and the key tossed! And every cent of the cleaning process needs to come out of their pocket! Screw BP!!!!

Sorry I just needed to get that out somewhere. This is why I am really starting to hate Obama- when it comes to standing up for liberal principles, he's not exactly very good at it. Hopefully its just because he's part of the system. I really did believe in "change" :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:26 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

We need to bring the troops back from Afghanistan (and Iraq). Bush spent 4 years kicking the can down the curb and now Obama is doing the same.

And I was for those wars but have the balls to admit I was wrong.

The oil spill...nothing Obama can do. That's just political theater. It's an engineering problem and won't be solved until the relieve wells come in. There are a bunch of side issues (BP being a crappy engineering company, inherent dangers of drilling, etc. etc.) but really they don't affect the oil. We just have to take it up the ass on that.

But he could pull chocks on A and I. He is the CiC. He's not accompllishing anyhting geopolitically, but just trying to avoid political damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:02 pm 

I'm not a big fan of BP either and they have no business in our country. Their history is diplorable IMHO. However, the response to the spill by the beaurocrats is just as bad.

And yes, vote all the bastards out and give me back my thugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:54 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

hoosegow wrote:
I'm not a big fan of BP either and they have no business in our country.

39% of shares in BP are held by American investors, you can't have it both ways.

Incidentally 40% of shares are owned by UK investors, maybe the company should be renamed 'British United States Petroleum'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:08 am 

BP was operating the way they were because of the policies put in place by Texans. They use higher drilling standards in the North Sea because the UK policies demand it. I'm not saying that BP is not to blame, but Americans need to look at what they could have done to prevent this. Canadians are proposing drilling in iceberg lanes in the Atlantic. I only hope that our politicians have enough sense to keep a close grip on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:27 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

stuward wrote:
BP was operating the way they were because of the policies put in place by Texans. They use higher drilling standards in the North Sea because the UK policies demand it. I'm not saying that BP is not to blame, but Americans need to look at what they could have done to prevent this.

Well said. Of course you also have Transocean to consider (who actually owned the rig).

If I were in a position to buy BP shares when they plummited I would of done it. I predict a full recovery. Filled my car up at the weekend at a BP garage, too :usa2:

(loving emoticons right now)

KPj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:50 am 

I think that's why this is so frustrating. Because it's big oil, it just shows how easily big oil trumps a democratically controlled congress and presidency, and democrats are supposed to be the pro-environment ones. And with this, I know BP finally agreed to pay a $20 bil fine so to speak with enough Obama pressure, but shouldn't our regulatory agencies have the ability in the first place to do something about it? The EPA and USDA are worthless here in America. They have no authority to do anything. I wonder if in other countries, if your regulatory agencies have the authority to actually do their job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:27 am 

I hold no BP stock. I am not asking to have it both ways and I stand by my statement. Why is the last two major oil related disasters are by BP? BP is a bad actor in my opinion. Anyone that know safety is not surprised that this was a BP rig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:49 am 

Rucifer wrote:
The EPA and USDA are worthless here in America. They have no authority to do anything. I wonder if in other countries, if your regulatory agencies have the authority to actually do their job.

Worthless (EPA), I will agree with, but not without Authority.

Unfortunately, the EPA has enough authority to close many outdoor recreational areas under false pretenses, because they are being used "inappropriately" and by average Americans who don't have huge resources to fight (unlimited cash flow). I do agree that they (EPA) can't truly fight Big Business (Oil in this case).

Reality is, BP does have a not so good safety record, but they had the required safety valves in place to stop the leak, but due to the type of collapse, the valve failed. To my knowledge this has never happened before and this is WORSE than the previously thinkable Worst Case Scenario. It could have just as easily have been any other Oil Company and driller.

What is ridiculous is how the Government is helping to manage the cleanup by blocking certain groups from working and actually doing something, because it's not the "Approved" Cleanup plan.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ApolytonGP wrote:
I like the tea party. They are a lot more libertarian than you think. Hannity and rove and those bulllickers want to coopt them. And the media wants to make them out as Roveian. but really they trash bailout loving Repukes. Seen it. On youtube.

They're actually not all that libertarian if you look at their policies. Any support for any socially conservative policy or imperialistic ones make them less libertarian.

Trust me, I know. I have been a life-long libertarian of one type or another.

I'm not saying there aren't any real libertarians in the tea party, there very well could be. I'm just saying you can't point to any tea party associated politicians who are anything but the most watered down ultra-light diet libertarians.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next