ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:46 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I thought I'd put this in lounge as it's a "chatty" question and i'm not really interested in what helps your gym performance as such, but more about what wakes you up and keeps you solid.

I've recently been eating porridge or eggs and a cup of tea but this morning I had PB toast (brown/wholemeal but nothing special/dense) and coffee and I felt like I'd been mildly poisoned, erg

Might be an off day but I'm wondering how much your breakfast affects you (gym too, just not specifically) and what you avoid (especially if it's quite normal/healthy thing - i.e. it's going to be quite obvious most of you avoid cap'n crunch :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I eat a lot of Atkins bars and shakes, as well as nuts, eggs, bacon, and sausage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:11 am 

i avoid oats. i could sell natural gas if i have too much. i do have very small quantities, and i keep trying to adjust to them.

favourite breakfast after an AM workout is a vegetarian big breakfast, which includes scrambled eggs, mushrooms, grilled tomato, sauteed spinach, a hash brown and baked beans. and buttered wholemeal toast if i can get it. with a decent coffee and water this makes me a very contented person.

the breakfast i have before a big work day is 2-3 weetbix with mixed dried fruits and peanuts/walnuts or almonds, sliced banana/apple/fig, honey and milk. stops me getting hungry and distracted in dull meetings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:22 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Kinda depends on how early i have to wake up. I dont really have a daily schedule, being a student and all. Some days i get to sleep till noon, some days i start at 8.00. So:

If early: Yoghurt with mixed nuts, which i ground/chop/whatever-its-called into pulp, then mix through. Basically cereal except made with nuts.

If later: Scrambled eggs with bacon/cheese/salami. (Whichever i happen to have on hand really)

That with two cups of coffee, and im golden.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:41 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

might have a go at the tougher stuff then - the nuts and yoghurt sounds like a nice change, will see what some low carb yoghurt with nuts - Don't have time for the vegetarian breakfast really (up at 5:30 am, and its a good job someone doesnt offer me the day off for [1 million dollars] because I'd probably pay them :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:09 am 
Novice
Novice

Flat bread with Nuttela choc spread, whole nut pb wrapped around a bananna and zapped in the microwave for 30 secs. perfect!!!

Failling that eggs - i loves the eggs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:45 am 

3, occasionally 4 eggs sometimes mixed with whatever veggies I have on hand, 2 slices of toast, 2-3 cups of coffee, black and pure. It's "lasts" better when I have more veggies. I just get lazy about getting them chopped up in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:31 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

protein shake with 50g protein, 50g carbs.

i never have time to cook breakfast in the morning, so I just drink a shake on the way to work or uni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:31 am 

My diets been all over the place recently, but it'll either be,

Porridge, a shake, multi vit, fishoil

Scrambled eggs with various veg and sometimes meat and cheese (this is my preferred option but it's been rare recently).

Yogurt, a shake, multi vit, fishoil

A litre of full Fat milk AKA OH SH*T IS THAT THE TIME breakfast.

Full Fry up is my favourtie. I normally hold the sausage and bread, add more eggs and go nuts with bacon. There may be a Tomato in there. You know, for the veggies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:57 am 

my favorite is the 5 egg omelet with 2 strips of bacon and a pound of bell peppers/ onions cooked into it.

But most days I skip breakfast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:31 am 

I always eat breakfast but usually later in the morning. Monday to Friday I go to work with just coffee then workout. I pick up breakfast in the cafeteria and eat it at my desk while my computer boots up. It's always 3 eggs and 3 sausages. On weekends, I'll have some sort of omlette with whatever veg is available. This time of year, green tomatoes and onions are good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:33 am 

Lucky Charms or Cinnamon toast crunch. Occasionally I'll go for something with a more exotic touch, and have myself some wafflecrisp. Yum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:23 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Cap'n Crunch! lol

For the past couple weeks I really don't have to do anything, no job, no school, so I've been sleeping in and making myself the best breakfast everyday.

4 Eggs fried with lots of onion & butter. 4 Strips of bacon, baby carrots and if I have any, 1 or 2 sasauges sliced down the centre and fried to perfection. I never get tired of this.

After about an hour I walk to the gym and come home blah blah.. My workouts are short but I have never felt drained leaving the gym, so I'm gonna stick to this meal for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:31 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Usually it's a crustless quiche. Mix up the usual chopped broccolli and spinach, some feta cheese and some meat up in a microwable safe bowl. Sometimes I add in a small amount of rice-lentil mixture to give it texture (1/4 cup), dump 2-3 beaten eggs over it and nuke it.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

Oatmeal with skim milk, honey and walnuts. Then as soon as I get to work I eat an apple. One day a week, I fry a couple of eggs with toast.