ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electric Cars
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:22 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Whats everyone think of the new electric cars from Mitsubishi and Nissan?

I really like them, I decided my first car will be electric, I just wish our governments would offer more incentives for them.

Never having to pay for gas, hellz yea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:07 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I like the idea of energy independence. It's not like the electric cars will be cost free to run, though, but at least the electricity can be generated with our own (USA) coal and nat gas

As far a gov't giving incentives, only if it came from other gov''t programs. I'm not looking to subsidize more industry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:51 am 

If you really want to lessen your impact on the environment, get a small apartment near your work and walk or bike where you need to go. If you need to go further, take public transit or rent a car. The battery technology for electric cars is not mature yet and there are environmental issues with them. From a cash outlay point of view you will pay a premium for electric of hybrid that will be higher than the extra cost of gas in most cases.

Most gasoline in Canada comes from oil from Alberta. In Nova Scotia it comes from Venezuela. Most electricity is generated from oil or natural gas from the same sources. In some cases you're just moving the location of the energy conversion (from your car to an central plant) by switching to electric.

Edit: Transport Canada is trying out the technology in Canada. Unless you're very wealthy, you may want to see how that test works out first. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/programs/enviro ... ng-118.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:21 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

A lot of hydro is from hydro-electric dames as well. I don't know why Ontario doesnt just use the hydro from quebec, rather than using coal plants.

And on Nissans website it states that, it would cost around 2.50 to fill up the car from nothing. You only get 100 miles with it, so not that bad. They also said they're working on fixing the enviromental issues with the batteries, I'm sure that, by the time I have enough to buy a car, hopefully that problem will be solved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sticking a big middle finger up at OPEC is an important consideration too. Never downplay the value of that.

Post subject: Re: Electric Cars
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:07 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jebus wrote:

I really like them, I decided my first car will be electric, I just wish our governments would offer more incentives for them.

Where do you live that electricity is free? Or where you making fun of people ???

Post subject: Re: Electric Cars
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:16 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

strathmeyer wrote:
Jebus wrote:

Where do you live that electricity is free? Or where you making fun of people ???

I mean gas at the pump, and Ironman, thats the idea of it.