ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Root Canals
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:38 pm 

Just at the dentist the other day and apparently am in need of a root canal. I have talked with several people that have had them that tell me they weren't effective at what they were supposed to do and in some cases, made things worse as far as pain goes. After plenty of internet scouring and research I am quite torn on having one performed or an extraction. It is a back tooth and wouldn't be the end of the word were it missing. I certainly know the clinical evidence supports them, just looking for ancedotal evidence that they don't cause long term complications.My dentist told me my tooth was "dead" and that's why I wasn't feeling any pain (I had initially called because of tooth pain, but when I cleaned up my diet with sugars as I was slipping with that, and rinsed my mouth with salt water a couple of times a day, the pain had gone away). The thing is I did a test to supposedly test if it was dead, which was putting some ice on the tooth to see if i could feel it, and clearly felt the coldness. I am really not seeking medical advice, just confirmation that a root canal has worked for others. Anybody who has had one care to shed some light?

Post subject: Re: Root Canals
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:15 am 

I've had a couple and my wife has had at least 1. We've had no trouble at all. One of mine was several years ago, and was done in stages, cleaning the canal and packing it with something. Back several days later for another procedure, and again later to finally fill the canal. The more recent ones are much simpler, usually done in a single appointment.

It's worth it to keep a potentially useful tooth. What's the worst that could happen? Decide that you really need to have the tooth pulled?

Remember that any procedure can have complications. That fact shouldn't be a reason not to have procedures that you need. Even an extraction can have complications.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:42 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

yep, that's another reason I dont go.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:36 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Every time I'm sitting in the dentist's chair enduring the discomfort, I tell myself, tomorrow it'll be all over. And it's true, without fail.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:24 am 
former lurker

I had root canal in five teeth from the best dentist in Hermosa Beach. At first, I was so uncomfortable to see terrible dental chair and instruments. But, doctor made it easy with his less painful treatment and friendly behavior.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:16 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I won the reverse lottery with teeth. I am "high risk" and won't go into details because you don't want to know.

So that means I've had more root canals than I care to say. The good news is a modern dentist with up-to-date equipment can have you in and out in 2 hours, they can use this super-nifty scanner to map your mouth and then this device makes you a tooth right there. It should be completely pain free though a bit uncomfortable with your mouth open for a long time. Then when it's done you have a wonderful new tooth and can eat anything you want. Don't wait. Do it.

On a happier note, my new dentist figured out this high risk thing and gave me a prevention plan that is working wonderfully. So I have a brighter future to look forward to and hopefully I've had my last root canal.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:39 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
yep, that's another reason I dont go.

Did I ever mention that I actually had a root canal in 2013 ?
It started as the "most painful inner ear ache one could endure without going into shock." It was as if someone were trying to shove a filbert nuts into my ear hole. Come to find out, it was actually a cracked, infected tooth causing this pain.

I liked it so much I got a chek up and he took care of a few cavities. He was so good, we're going for another check up in January. 32 years of avoiding the dentist have come to an end.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:13 am 
n00b
n00b

It works wonder for me. I had one back in 2011, and I could barely felt any pain during the process.

The only thing that irks me is that I have to pay several visits to the dentist to get it done.