ExRx.net
http://exrx.net/forum/

Drugs in sport.
http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9395
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Proper Knob [ Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:41 am ]
Post subject:  Drugs in sport.

I'd be interested to read other people's views on the use of PED's within professional sport. Do you think it's widespread?

Author:  stuward [ Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Drugs in sport.

I think that those that have been caught represent a small minority of those that cheat.

Author:  robertscott [ Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Drugs in sport.

Cy Wilson, an authority on the subject, puts the percentage of Olympic athletes using steroids at 80%.

On another board I read sometimes (a VERY hardcore BB board, the guys there are all 250lbs+ and lean) one of the administrators claims he used to sell growth hormone to the Australian swimming team.

There was a T-Nation article about it a while back too, basically saying that everyone uses and that the drug testers only ever really go after guys whose career is pretty much over anyway. Apparently (according to the article anyway) Linford Christie used to run out his back door when the tester guys showed up, and he was so fast no one could catch him!

Fun fact: If they had given Lance Armstrong's last Tour de France win to the next fastest racer who had never been implicated in doping, they'd have given it to the guy in 23rd place.

Author:  Proper Knob [ Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Drugs in sport.

robertscott wrote:
Fun fact: If they had given Lance Armstrong's last Tour de France win to the next fastest racer who had never been implicated in doping, they'd have given it to the guy in 23rd place.


That's not quite true, Cadel Evans was 8th that year and went on to win the tour in 2011. He's never been implicated in doping.

There was a questionnaire carried out by a former discus thrower at the 1984 Olympics concerning steroid usage, 60% of those asked said they had used steroids within the last 6 months.

Author:  stuward [ Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Drugs in sport.

Cadel Evans was on the suspicious list: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ucis-su ... -de-france

Author:  ephs [ Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Drugs in sport.

in my opinion drugs are used by many world class athletes in sports, where you can have a big advantage with PEDs.

in my sport, football (soccer) there are very less known doping cases. the reason for this is that you can achieve a good physique for football without drugs. you don't need a super muscular body or a unnormal stamina to compete good in football and run for about 90 minutes.

some time ago adidas released a chip that you can place in your shoes to measure your speed, accelaration, distance etc. some guys of my club use it and have similar data in distance and also a good value in maximum speed in comparison to professionell players from the german bundesliga.

Author:  JasonJones [ Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Drugs in sport.

If taking a pill or a shot was the difference between making all of your dreams that you've worked your entire life for come true or washing dishes on the night shift for minimum wage, what would you choose?

Author:  KenDowns [ Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Drugs in sport.

I always thought the Futurama joke got it right: in the future all PED's are mandatory. Removes all doubt and restores an apples-to-apples basis to the competition.

Author:  Proper Knob [ Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Drugs in sport.

KenDowns wrote:
I always thought the Futurama joke got it right: in the future all PED's are mandatory. Removes all doubt and restores an apples-to-apples basis to the competition.


I used to think that, until I read David Walsh's book about Lance Armstrong. The guy/girl who can get hold of the best chemist will most probably win. There was a reason Armstrong was willing to pay Michele Ferrari over $1 million.

Author:  KenDowns [ Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Drugs in sport.

Proper Knob wrote:
KenDowns wrote:
I always thought the Futurama joke got it right: in the future all PED's are mandatory. Removes all doubt and restores an apples-to-apples basis to the competition.


I used to think that, until I read David Walsh's book about Lance Armstrong. The guy/girl who can get hold of the best chemist will most probably win. There was a reason Armstrong was willing to pay Michele Ferrari over $1 million.


As in, "A jury is a group of twelve people assembled for the purpose of determining who has the better lawyer."

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/