ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:06 am 
Necromancer
Necromancer

This one was published in 2010, previous editions in 2001 and 2006. I'm currently reading a copy of this which I've borrowed from a library, and I am really impressed by the artwork in it. A variety of muscles are regularly illustrated in a variety of poses which provokes a lot of thought about how to remember it. There's also an overview of the book on ExRx: http://www.exrx.net/Store/HK/StrengthTr ... atomy.html

There is an element of controversy about the claims of some of the muscles that work during some movements though. The one that stands out predominantly to me is advocation of the serratus anterior muscles being agonists to movements like the bench press or pull-over. This book states this common claimon page 62 for the incline bar press, 64 for the flat-benched (supine) bar press, 76 for the push up, 79 for the dumbbell incline press, 83 for dumbbell pullover and 84 for the barbell pullover.

I understand most fully how the SA muscle is used in push ups where the scapulae are free to protract and do so. I also understand how it can do so for overhead pressing when it is free to rotate up. These roles in protraction/abduction and upward/lateral rotation of the scapulae are the ones I'm aware of... but I don't understand how they extend to benching movements. When we lean back against a bench, surely the combined weight of our torso and the bars we press would limit the mobility of the scapulae? This is especially so with people who bridge and exaggerate retracting their scapulae for stability during these presses, even with incline pressing.

I can imagine how the SA would be involved with 62/79 since there is less weight compressing them (since we tend to press lighter weights on an incline, and less of our own body weight is actually on the scapulae) plus even if we do not protract, inclined pressing approaches overhead pressing and would involve upward rotation components.

I really don't understand the role the SA would play in 64/83/84 though.

Is there some way to contact Mr Delavier in case he makes a 4th edition some day (maybe 2015?) so that he might address the subtle actions of the SA more indepthly, and review their activity in some of these exercises?

This is an issue which is also discussed in the first sections here: http://www.exrx.net/Questions/MuscularAnalysis.html and I would enjoy it if ExRx's cool database and FAQ would able to influence excellent recommended works like STA3.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:34 am 

Here's his Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Frederic ... 1520664027

Here's his blog:
http://www.fredericdelavier.com/

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:28 am 
Necromancer
Necromancer

Cool thanks. Incentive to learn french increasing :) I wonder if he is fluent in English or possibly had someone do a translation? I can't find an English section on his site so I'm not sure.