ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:03 pm 

by Dr. Kate Rheaume-Bleue

This book is quite interesting in that it appears that K2 is extremely important as an anti-aging vitamin but I have reservations.

Many bloggers have been covering this for the last few years. Most have connections to the Weston A Price Foundation.

Stephan Guyenet: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ca/20 ... onary.html
Dr. William Davis: http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2008/mar ... -K2_01.htm
Chris Masterjohn: http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.com/ ... ds-on.html

As much as I like these guys and like reading their blogs, they're not mainstream researchers and not everything they say pans out in the end. However, they do shake up the status quo and get people talking, which is a good thing, but they really are not rock solid in my mind. Unfortunately, this is the foundation upon which Dr. Kate Rheaume-Bleue has built her case. It doesn't help that most of the videos of her that I found on Youtube are pushing vitamins.

I would be more comfortable if there had been more independent references.

Anyway, following is a brief interview with the author about her book. She gives a pretty good rundown of the major points from her book in this interview and unless you want to geek-out on the details, this interview is probably enough anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNVK1QHe ... re=related

Most of the science behind K2 and heart health comes from this study done in Rotterdam:

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/134/11/3100.full

The bottom line is that K2 determines where Calcium is used and as such affects bone density and strength, cardio health, especially through reducing calcium buildup in arteries, improves brain and insulin function, improves dental health both in building up tooth enamel and reducing plaque and gum disease.

K2 is deficient in modern diets due to changes in animal husbandry. It is created by bacteria in animals that consume green leafy food. The bacteria converts the K1 in the chlorophyll rich food to K2 in the gut. The K2 is stored in the fat. We make some but in small amounts. Grass fed animals make a great deal. Unfortunately, in the last 50 years, most animals are fed grains and do not produce K2 so the meat, eggs and butter that we should get K2 from, doesn't have any. The other major source is from fermented foods, of which, cheese is most important to us. It's still not clear to me if there is any value in Kraft Cracker Barrel cheese or if we should spend twice the price for artisan cheese. K2 isn't listed on any ingredient lists so it's hard to tell. Natto and pate foie gras are better sources but they're not every day items in most households. Free range eggs are a no-brainer though.

One point that was never really discussed was the experience in New Zealand, Argentina and Australia. As I understand it, grass fed is still the norm since grain is expensive there. A comparison of bone health and heart disease with northern countries would be simple. It would clearly demonstrate that our way of raising meat and dairy animals is wrong, as I'm sure it is.

This is an important book in that it's the first that really goes into the nutrient. The subject needs a lot more study.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:57 pm 

Interesting.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:20 pm 

Sometimes you want to believe something because it resonates with your current beliefs. This book is like that, but looked at objectively, it's unconvincing. If everything in this book were proven to be true, it would warrant dismantling our current food system. Perhaps at some point in the future, all cows, pigs and chickens would roam pastures and eat green grass, and all farmers would stop growing corn and soybeans and go back to truck farming and working the soil and everyone will eat food grown within a day's drive from their home. Yah, right.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley