ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:26 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

What is the most optimal rep-set ratio for training for strength and endurance? Disregarding any size gains (I don't care aobut how buff I look), I'm wondering what your opinions are for this.

The trainer in my school's gym told me to do 8 x 8s. Is this right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:52 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi VOK. Well, the simple and correct answer is that there is no one single "best" way. A periodized routine works ok (see the site for a good detailed description). Another approach is Byrce and others style of a type of training where you shoot for a number of lifts in a given time period, say 10-20 minutes. See
http://p069.ezboard.com/btheironworks
and look around for the 50/20 thing. Also see
http://www.crossfit.com
They do just about everything, and mix up limit strength, strength endurance, cardiovascular, and just about anything else. All these methods will focus on strength enduranc, in different ways. Which is "best"? Well, I suggest you look all of them over and make a decision based on your needs. The ironworks guys (Bryces site) deals more with heavier weights, but the crossfitters go with more moderate weights and focus more on times.
Good luck and good reading.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:13 am 
Novice
Novice

A good rule of thumb is 4 sets, not counting warmups. This does vary a little. You can do 2 sets of 10 to 12 and 2 of 13 to 15, or do all about 12 to 14. If you do less rest (which will force lighter weight) this will move you more twoards endurance. So you can do 10 to 12 on all sets, and do 5 or 6 sets with less rest and lighter weight. Periodized routines are another option, like Tim mentioned. You could cycle back and forth between a strength workout and an endurance workout. You could even do a powerlifter routine for a cycle where you do partials and such. I have even heard of people having luck doing a 4X12 for and while and then a cycle of 10X3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:40 am 
I frequently use the the 1 single / minute or 1 single per 1/2-minute program, using a compound lift @ 85% or more of my 1 rep max in that lift. It works well with:

squats
deads
clean and press movements
snatch movements

You warm up and then load the bar to your 85% 1rm and perform 1 rep per minute (on the minute) for 10 - 20 minutes. When this becomes "easy" for you, either go to 1 rep every thirty seconds OR add weight to the bar.

Also - thinking out of the box, you could discard the gym movements and look at other movements/activities like lifting and carrying heavy loads, wheel-barrel walks, farmers walks, waiter walks, lift and load medley's, etc.

Good training,
Bill L

Post subject: peters
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:01 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]