ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: dead lifts
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:06 am 
Can someone please tell me if doing dead lifts with dumb bells is as good as with a bar. also , do you think it would force you to use better or worse form?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:52 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Let's just say they're different. I would hate to compare two different movements. I like them, though. I just find it a lot easier to let my arms hang straight down and just inside my knees, from a semi suo stance. As long as you're careful, form should stay solid.
Tim

Post subject: Re: dead lifts
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:35 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

guest wrote:
Can someone please tell me if doing dead lifts with dumb bells is as good as with a bar. also , do you think it would force you to use better or worse form?

If you use a barbell you're probably using more weight, so theoretically the growth stimulus is greater for the barbell deadlift. But if you find the dumbbell version more accessible, you'll do them more often, which will cause better growth. Pick your poison.

I would think that the barbell version forces you to use better form since there is less variation of movement in barbell vs dumbbell exercises. But you can't afford to be sloppy in either, especially if you're handling more than token weights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:56 am 
I think it depends on your level of development. After a certain point, using dumbbells just isn't practicle anymore. Also, you may simply outgrow the heaviest dumbbells you have available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:22 am 

Matt's got a point. I have a pair of Oly DB handles, and even with 25 lb plates, the most I can safely lock on with a good pair of collars is 6 plates / handle, and if you're going heavy, that's not enough, plus, add to that the 25's are confining on the grip, I like the DB's for rep work in the DB DL. A solution might be to get the extra eavy duty, long ones from Ironmind or other sources.
Tim

Post subject: Lucas
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:44 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]