ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Need general guidlines
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:11 am 
n00b
n00b

I'm a 52 year old female and my goal is weight loss. I have the following equipment available:

1 hour in the morning
elliptical cross trainer
dumbbells up to 20 lbs
Spri exertube and exering
step and step DVDs

Can someone please give me a program outline to use this equipment for weight loss? Should I be spending more time on cardio? How often should I be doing weight training? I have a few books with specific exercises. I need to know how to get maximum benefit from the equipment I have.

Matthew 11:28-30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:11 am 
Weight train either before cardio, or in a seperate workout, never after cardio. Use mainly compound (AKA multi-joint) movements like dumbbell squats and dumbbell presses. You can add isolation exercises later, but for now keep it basic. Also look into bodyweight exercises since these generally require little or no equipment.

You do can do either full-body workouts several (usually 3) times a week, or some form of split routine, although full-body circuit training may be better if losing fat is your primary goal. These don't have to be the same workout however. You can do three different full body workouts, which should give you a little more variety.

Meanwhile, others can advise you better than I can on cardio options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:32 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi. Matt gave you some good advice. To add to it, do some reading. Go to the main page, read the beginner's page. Theb from the main page, go to weight training (take the link) and it will show workout template, and they give advice on how to set up weight programs, and will link you into the Exercise and muscle Directory, where you will find descriptions and video clips of the different exercises. You have DB's so you can find the DB version of a given lift. Also, the tubing you have is very versatile. My Dad uses thm. Just be a little creative, hook on end on a door, or from the ceiling, or maybe even on the floor. They can duplicate most movements. You will probably come up with something along the lines of Squat, bench press, bent row, abs, low back, then maybe some arm stuff or pressing. I would advise you take your time, learn the exercises, and do a circuit style workout to start off, 1 set of each, resting long enough to change weights, rest after the circuit, and maybe go through it once more. That should be good enough to get you started for a few weeks.
As to cardio, it's explained very well here on the site. Find the links on the home page. Like Matt says, do it after weights, or on different days.
Check out the nutrition section as well, thats key for fat loss.
Good training
Tim

Post subject: Jason
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:27 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]