ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:16 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Was wondering if anyone had any info regarding the typical training week.

I remember seeing reference to a 10 day 'week' in a previous thread but can't find it.

Im specifically refering to a bodybuilding style of routine, and for my sake - training each muscle once per week.

I think someone (on this thread) had said that fitting it all into one week (7 days) wasn't very practical...?

I do know a couple of people who do this but I would like more info e.g is it more beneficial than training to a standard 7 day week?

I know recovery really depends on intensity so lets just suppose we are training to the highest intensity, training each muscle wih a MINIMUM of 3 exercises - including small muscles like Bi's, larger muscles like Back would get around 4-6 exercises....

Thanks

KP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:26 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Mike Mentzer's training system

Quote:
Mentzer was originally an advocate of pre-exhaustion weight training. For example, leg extensions are done before squats, side delt raises before shoulder presses, flyes before bench presses, and stiff-arm pulldowns before standard lat pulldowns. Mentzer was also famous for going "beyond failure" with forced reps, negative reps, static holds, and forced negatives.In general, one only used 1-2 sets per movement, with no more than five movements per muscle group.

After renewing his training business in the 1990s, Mentzer became convinced that even the relatively low-volume routines advocated by Arthur Jones and himself were, in fact, too exhausting for average trainees. Mentzer later advocated a build-up routine involving two leg workouts, one pec-delt workout, and one lat-bicep workout every 10-14 days.

After the trainee' results plateau, he switches to an advanced system involving a very brief full-body workout, to be followed once every 6-10 days. Some Mentzer pupils report training each muscle group only once every 21 days.

Mentzer and advocates of "high intensity" training believed that one must train very hard, using the heaviest weight one can manage in good form and without injury. In general, high intensity trainers eschew the use of Olympic lifts, Olympic lift derivatives, explosive or ballistic lifts of any kind, and plyometric drills.

In general, high intensity advocates believe the opinion of Jones, that while strength can be increased by 400% in an average individual, recovery capacity can only be increased by 50%. Therefore, the stronger one becomes, counterintuitively, the less one must train.

PS - I haven't been able to locate a specific routine of Mentzer that uses the principles outlined above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:45 pm 
Are you training primerily for asthetics of strength? As far as I know, the vast majority of powerlifters use a 7-day training week, often training just 3 days a week (squat/bench/deadlift). However, admitedly most of these guys only rarely train to failure (often only on heavy singles).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:52 pm 
Dorian Yates was very successful using a modified form of Mentzer's training phoilosophy, in which he trained each muscle group once every 5 or 6 days. However, Yates was also by his own admission a steroid user (steroids greatly aid recovery).

Post subject: Destiny
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:32 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]