ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ryan A - Bompa
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:00 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi Ryan. Got both books out. OK, where to start? Firt one, in SS (Serious Strength Training) there a some phases not included in PTfS (periodization training for sport). The main one is there is an M phase, which denotes MxS mixed with H. The program is also laid out quite differently. A typical layout for a year (SS-pg 115-my edition-) looks like this8 weeks AA, 3 weeks H, 1 w T, 3 H, 2 T, 5 AA, 1-2 T,6 H, 3 M, 1 T, 3 H, 3 M, 1 T, 3 H, 1 T, 3 MxS, 5 T.
As noted before, the H period in SS has shorter rest breaks, and slightly higher reps. In the MxS phase, circuits are not employed, and slower lowering phases are employed. Also, reps are sigher than in PTfS. Those are just some of the obvious differences. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Got the books right here and available Note that I'm working off editions dated around 1997 though. I'm sure there are updated versions out there, epecially when it comes to the dietary info in SS.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:17 pm 

Thanks Tim,

Maybe I will check it out from a library or something.

I was just thinking this morning that there is very little mention of olympic lifts in the power section of Bompa Sport Training.

Is this an oversight on my part or does he not recommend the olympic lifts?

~Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:49 pm 

Hi Ryan. Nope, no oversight, for some reason he doesn't recommend them. closest I've seen is hi pulls.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:15 pm 

I assume he is one of those people that thinks there is too much time involved in learning to perform them properly?

This combined with a demanding sport schedule seems reasonable during the season but maybe athletes would benefit from this type of training during the offseason, not so much as a way to develop power but as a means to develop adaptability to complicated motor activities.

I guess I am saying it seems like the perfect type of cross training for some sports.

Alas, I may never know but it is interesting to think about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:12 pm 

Well, I got the impression that while he wasn't against them, and actually did promote hi Pulls and other explosive type of exercizes, he kind of figured that if you didn't need to learn the technique, no real reason to. Now, Javorek, on the other hand, thrives on the O lifts and their power variations in his offseason general conditioning programs, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. He's also very big into periodization. Here are some of his thoughts.
http://www.istvanjavorek.com/page2.html
Tim

Post subject: warren
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:10 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]