ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:57 pm 
Below is a program I plan to use for the following goals:
My routine consists of mostly olympic lifts.

- Gain strength and explosiveness for sports.
- Gain some muscle mass.

My equipment:
- Flat bench
- Olympic barbell
- Plates
- Chin-up bar/Dip Station

I don't have bumper plates.

How can I change my routine to meet my goals? what should the rep range be? how many sets per exercise? etc.

Thanks

My routine:

Post subject: Which Sports?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:33 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

You can't go wrong with variations of the clean to develop explosive power in the hip extension/knee extension articulations. This will make you able to jump further and higher and sprint faster. But what sports are you training for?

Also, keep in mind that power training doesn't make people much bigger or even stronger in an absolute sense - just able to recruit their muscle fibers quicker and in greater number than an untrained individual for a given movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:38 pm 
I'm participating in sports like rowing and martial arts.

I'm hoping my diet will contribute to my mass gain. I'm not really worried about that though. Strength and Power are my priority.

How are my # of sets and reps? - is it too much? or is it just right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:38 pm 

I'm hoping my diet will contribute to my mass gain. I'm not really worried about that though. Strength and Power are my priority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:15 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Cmchan wrote:

I assume that you'll address the torso in your martial arts routines. Although most martial arts movements begin with the hips, the torso has to be able to transmit that power to the arms by quick movements of it's own.

Cmchan wrote:

You really should keep a training diary. The sets and reps look reasonable to me, but I have no way of knowing if the program will work a priori. Experience is the best teacher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:12 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just a few suggestions:

1) is there any reason that clean & front squat are always last on each day?

2) I would add deadlifts, but again you may have reasons for excluding them.

3) I think it would be beneficial to add a 'dynamic effort' day (google Westside Barbell or dynamic effort). Basically on this day you would use a lighter weight (50-70% of 1 RM) and focus on lifting as quickly as possible. You generally would do many sets of few reps (say 8x3).

If you do this on Wed, you will recover better for your Sat workout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:38 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, I kind of like his program. Combined with the right amount of food, he should get some hypertrophy. As to the DL vs the clean, well, he could sub one in on one day, but frankly, I've found a lot of carry over from cleans and clean pulls-especially the power shrug, that really negate any reason to do DL's. I kind of like JV's approach, which is very similar. Look at the schedule oriented towards the O lifts.
http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/QUALITY3.htm
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:51 am 
I also think you could use some lighter work in there...these days are too similar i think. I like George's suggestion for you about doing dynamics. Since youre working out 3 times a week and doing 3 exercises, you could start out each day with a dynamic effort, alternating which exercise you for that every day. That would be 8 sets of 3 with about 45 seconds rest between sets. Like for instance:

Monday:

Clean Push press - 8x3 (60%1RM) (lifting as explosive as possible)
Chin ups - 6x4 (if you are able to do these with weight added on you that would be a good idea for this day)
Clean Front Squat- 4x6

Wednesday:

Bench Press - 8x3 (60% 1RM)
Clean Front Squat - 6x4
Clean Push Press - 4x6

Saturday:

Clean Front Squat - 8x3 (60%1RM)
Bench Press 6x4
Chin ups - 4 sets of basically however many you can do..

I did this pretty quickly so i may have screwed something up, but hopefully you get the jist. You're giving each move a little break from the heavy weights 1 day a week and rotating with 4 sets of 6 and 6 sets of 4 on the other days. Push Presses are eliminated on Saturday, but the heavy bench press sets will cover your front delts on that day. Ideally like already mentioned, throwing deadlift in there in exchange for front squat on occasion could be a good idea, but hey, whatever works best for ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:26 pm 
George G wrote:

Yeah... because I think that the clean & front squat use up a more energy than the other exercises. So I leave this exercise last to avoid tiring myself out too much to do the other exercises.

George G wrote:

From what I've been experiencing, the movements from the power clean already work the same muslces that are worked in the deadlift.

George G wrote:
3) I think it would be beneficial to add a 'dynamic effort' day (google Westside Barbell or dynamic effort). Basically on this day you would use a lighter weight (50-70% of 1 RM) and focus on lifting as quickly as possible. You generally would do many sets of few reps (say 8x3).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:27 pm 
George G wrote:

Yeah... because I think that the clean & front squat use up a more energy than the other exercises. So I leave this exercise last to avoid tiring myself out too much to do the other exercises.

George G wrote:

From what I've been experiencing, the movements from the power clean already work the same muslces that are worked in the deadlift.

George G wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:51 pm 

So first of all, there is no reason to do the clean and front squat and the clean and push press.

Too many cleans.

How are you going to deal with the problems getting the right weight to front squat? You should be front squatting more than you clean, but since you can only clean the weight up, your front squat will always be limited which is bad since the front squat can drive the clean up a lot initially.

I would do power snatches if you want to improve at sports. They are a full chain movement, therefore involving a longer access of explosive motor units.

I would ditch the two days of bench press as there are many more productive things you can do for sports.

I would do somethign more like the following,

Monday
Cleans
Chin up
1 Smatch then Overhead squats

Wednesday
Power Snatch
Incline Bench Press
1 Clean followed by all of your front squats

Saturday
Power Snatch lighter than wednesday more sets
1 Clean followed by a few Push Presses or Jerks
Chin up
Light Front squats as others suggested

I would keep reps in the olympic lifts and squats at 5 or fewer most of the time, maybe going up to 8 in the squats sometimes. I would drop the olympic reps down into the 3's, 2's, 1's sometimes, depending I would aim for 6-12 total working reps when doing these lower numbers.
3-3-2-2-1-1 or something.

Post subject: scott
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:33 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]