ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: High volume training
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:25 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Inspired by another thread, I'm wondering about high volume training, such as 8x8s or other similar set/rep schemes?

What kind of results would one expect from those?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:18 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, it depends on how you go about, rest breaks, intensities, etc. As I recall, you posted (or someone) posted an old article on Gironda's 8X8. Basically done with compound moves, with short rest breaks, intensiies in the 65-70% 1RM range. Another similar one is the German Volume Training, very similar, with 10x10, fairly short rest breaks with intensities in the 60% range. See
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/luis13.htm
Note however, that the GVT differs a bit because you do the high volume phases for about 4 weeks, and the next three are done low-med volume, with much higher intensities. Javorek's general conditioning stuff is very similar to both.It's been my experience )I've tried them all out throughout the years), and it's been my experience, that in the lighter, more high volume phases, you can build a littlehypertrophy, but I would really lean out. With the GVT, I put on a lot of strength and some more size in the lower volume, more intense phases. Just my observations.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:19 am 
I do it for 4 weeks when I need to let my CNS recover. After months of training to failure it becomes a must. I drop the intensity to about 70%, with 8 reps, half the rest and double the sets. I like 4 minutes for max effort, so I do only 2 minutes rest with this. Instead of involving a muscle in 3 or 4 sets, I get it into 6 to 8 sets. I have found a slight bit of strength loss and hypertrophy continues unchanged. If you are working on dropping fat, you may loose a little more. If you are not dropping fat, you should eat more. This is because you are expending a little more energy.

I thought I made this up. It looks very similer to Giranda training though.

I am trying an experiment. For 2 weeks after the high volume I just did. I am going to the other extreme. Beyond failure in the form of drop sets (triple drops in some cases) but doing only 1 set. It might be a nice transition back to my usual routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:19 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Quote:
it's been my experience, that in the lighter, more high volume phases, you can build a littlehypertrophy

Is a little hypertrophy the only thing to be gained from 8x8 type workouts? Or was there also a strength component? If so, how did it compare to the typical 3x8?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:57 pm 
Yes. If you want strength with a high set program you need to go heavy with low reps. I think the reps are varied a little but you do 4 on average.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:42 pm 

I just posted this link in my journal, but I think it will help me to address your question:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articl ... -equal.htm

I have realized since reading the above that all my training was myofibrillar. I am very strong, but not very very big.

A program that was effective for me (at least on bench press, though this may give you insight into other lifts) was:

http://www.eas.com/training/benchpress/index.asp

If you look at it, you're really supposed to gain only 25 pounds in 1RM strength if you follow the same line the whole time. However, the first time I did it I did in fact gain 50 pounds on my 1RM (from 185 to 235, almost 240). However, I was working with pretty good genes and a 19 yr. old body...

Sorry, what I think I'm saying is: I don't think high volume training is necessary. I think a varied, but gradually increasing in difficulty program is best. All sets of 6 reps or less seems effective, and I also think the built-in tests are valuable (how much would I have regretted it if I'd stayed with the same line and gone from 185 to 210?).

That said, I've never read/researched the benefits of a high volume training regimen.

Good luck with what you choose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:49 am 
i agree that high volume training is not needed to get results, and that you should NOT always stick with 3 sets of 10 reps or any one thing, change it up once and a while it will just make you pack on more muscle and get stronger faster! the body adapts to change, so if your changing everything about your routine every once and a while you will NEVER get stuck me personally im still a novice i am on 8 week cycles as they are still working for me (once they stop working ill shorten the cyccles eventually to doing a cycle in one week like light day then heavy day ) i go from 3 sets of 12 reps ( more for muscle size+some endurence to 3 sets of 6 for strength gains as well as muscle size gains this way ill never be a muscular weakling, and ill still have some muscular endurence for sports. im not of the way of thinking where you just do so many reps forever and thats it, change it up it varies differently really low reps like 1-5 ish range is power 6-8 ish is strength and 8-12 is general conditioning(endurence and muscle gain) i dont think im doing high volume by doing 3 sets for every exersize, i just picked that number because its working for me, i tend to perform better after my first set i dont know why that is i just do, plus its alot faster and i can keep the intensity up only doing 3 sets (plus one warm up set) compared to guys doing 8 sets of 10 sets per exersize or whatever they do, as for the benefits at first it honestly doesnt matter too much you will make amazing gains at first, from what i have been reading the super low volume (1 set per exersize) works well for begginers but not for advanced weight lifters, and yes itrs true doing more than one set will give you slightly greater gains but only to a certain point, i dont think doing 8 sets at 6 reps would net you any more results then doing 3 sets at 6 reps it would just take longer to do and tire you out more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:51 am 
err sorry for my non paragraphing lol me fail engrish! :|

Post subject: Aidan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:00 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]