ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:55 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi guys
I am trying to get through a practical assessment and would like some advice if possible! I am building a program for my sister who was previously an intermediate exerciser averaging 3 workouts a week for about a year. She hasnt done any exercise (bar walking the dog!) since December.
The program is for 3 times a week to re-establish previous levels of fitness/strength. Your feedback would be appreciated.
CV - 30 mins split over 2 machines (she gets bored easily!) incl warm up , increasing intensity and cool down (possible interval program on machines)

RT - Full Body workout:

Chest Press (free weight dumbbells - spotter)
Lat Pulldown (would this be better if it was seated row?)
Leg Press
Leg Curl
Tricep press supine (free weight barbell - spotter)
Lat Raise (free weight but would this be better as a free weight military press?)

Please note i am restricted in that i must choose 6 exercises (3 free wieight and 3 fixed machine) from a list given. I must also demonstrate spotting technique on one free weight dumbbell exercise and one free weight dumbbell exercise.

So my question really is are the RT exercises i have chosen pretty well balanced in that they cover the major muscle groups and i have agonist/antagonist pairs??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

JEssica.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:24 pm 
n00b
n00b

oops forgot to ask aswell your opinion on CV exercise before or after Resistance Training?

I am torn between the whole 'too fatigued after CV to train properly' and 'her main aim is to lost fat and recover fitness levels so therfore she should do the CV first' theories.

What do you guys think?

Jessica.x

Post subject: Do Cardio Before weights
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Most people do cardio after weights. Weight training uses the body's glycogen stores for fuel. Cardio burns some glycogen initially, but after 15-20 minutes it starts to burn mostly fat. By depleting the glycogen stores first by doing weight training, you hasten the time cardio goes to fat burning.

Some people, though, like to do 5 - 10 minutes of light cardio as a warm-up before exercising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:34 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Lat pulldown works pretty different muscles than seated row, so it's hard to say which is 'better'.

Quote:
Please note i am restricted in that i must choose 6 exercises (3 free wieight and 3 fixed machine) from a list given. I must also demonstrate spotting technique on one free weight dumbbell exercise and one free weight dumbbell exercise.

This makes this all sound like a homework assignment.

If you're really limited by number you'll want to choose compound exercises: leg press, leg curls, bench press, row, should press, lat pulldown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:55 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi again

Thanks for your input guys....the assignment is kind of like homework i guess in that i am studying for my fitness instructor qualification and it s part of a practical assessment i have to plan and instruct!

So in your opinion is the lat pulldown better for the 'general population' beginner/intermediate or the seated row?!

Sorry but i have heard such different reactions i am getting confused!

JEssica.x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:06 pm 
the lat pull down works your Lats mostly and the seated row works your upper back and a bit of lower back as well as your rear deltoids its all in the exersize section of this website what they work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:10 am 
If you have to pick 1, bent over barbell rows are the best back exercise.
I would do these 6.
chest press (dumbbell spot)
barbell bent over row
lateral raise machine
squat (barbell spot)
leg curl machine
lat pulldown
cardio after of course.

This is far from optimal, but the best that can be done with the given restrictions.

Whatever you do Jessica, please give the swiss ball a rest. Don't have people do jumping jacks between sets. No standing on those silly rubber things either. That makes me nervous, it looks like they are going to fall down. I hate it when they do that near me. Don't let them lift off the bench when they bench press either. Above all, for the love of God, no matter how much they whine, don't let them do leg press with a pair of 25 lb plates. I think Stephen Hawking loads more then that on leg press. haha :)
Really though if someone can't do 90 on a 45 degree sled, how do they walk? Maybe it's just the trainers at my gym, who knows. Good luck and remember the iron is your friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:16 am 
n00b
n00b

Start with the large muscle groups first.

Do the exercises in the following order:
Leg Press
Leg Curl
Chest Press
Lat Pulldown or Seated Row
Lateral Raise or Dumbbell Press
Triceps press supine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:27 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

jessicalock wrote:
Hi again

Thanks for your input guys....the assignment is kind of like homework i guess in that i am studying for my fitness instructor qualification and it s part of a practical assessment i have to plan and instruct!

So in your opinion is the lat pulldown better for the 'general population' beginner/intermediate or the seated row?!

Sorry but i have heard such different reactions i am getting confused!

JEssica.x

Hi Jessica. Looks like you're getting good advice, so I'm just going to address your question of lat pull vs seated row. Well, the back is very complex, and provides for a multitude of functions, i.e, keep the erectors upright, shoulder girdle elevation, scapula retraction, to name just a few of the major ones. To cover all that, you need exercises to address the specific movements. Comparing lat pulls. cjins/pullups to rows are like comparing apples to oranges, although some of the target muscles do overlap. IMHO,use both, or at least alternate them session to session.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:05 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Building on what Tim D wrote about back training, rows tend to use the shoulder extension while pulldowns use shoulder adduction. The other articulation involving the back is transverse extension. All of them should be exercised at one point or another, although doing more than two in a workout is probably overkill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:45 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi guys

Me again - sorry about this but i am struggling with this prctical assessment again! Has anyone taken a CYQ practical assessment recently?

I have to pick 3 fixed machine and 3 free weight exercises as part of the resistance training component. One barbell and one dumbell exercise that requires a spotter must also be demonstrated. I have the following options:
Free weights
single arm row
bent arm pullover(spotter)
shoulder press
lateral raise
upright row
bench press(spotter)
dumbbell chest press(spotter)
dumbbell chest flyes(spotter)
dumbbell prone flyes(spotter)
tricep press supine (spotter)
barbell curl
dumbbell curl
back squat
dead lift

Fixed Machines
seated row
seated shoulder press
lateral pull down
pec deck
bench press
tricep push down
bicep curl
leg press
total hip machine
leg extension
leg Curl

Can anyone tell me which exercises they would choose to provide a balanced program for a female who hasnt exercised regularly for approx 4 months.

I have already picked out the following but now am unsure cos there is nothing specifically targeting biceps - does that matter too much seeings they are assisting in lat pull down?

Fixed M/c = Leg Press
Leg Curl
Lat Pulldown
Free = DB Chest flyes (DB spotter)
Tricep supine press (BB spotter)
Lat raise

Does that sound balanced or would you choose different exercises?

Please help me i am going round in circles!

Thanks

Jessica.x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:15 pm 
Jessica,

Given your focus and limitations, I see nothing wrong with the lifts you have chosen. Although, they are not the ones I'd choose for an actual workout<g>

and..no, I guess if you are limited to 6 lifts, picking biceps curl wouldn't be high on the chart.

I guess everyone here knows that I would prioritze squatting, deadlifting and bench press.

I wonder why they don't allow SQUAT to be one of the lifts that requires a spotter demonstration?

dian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:26 pm 
Jessica - no, specific targeting of biceps is not necessary...especially given that you have to pick only 6 exercises. They will get adequate work from rowing. In fact by excluding bicep curls, itll probably make you look really smart! I would choose:

Machine-

1)Seated Row (*back*)
2)Leg Curl (*hamstrings*)
3)Seated shoulder press (*shoulders*)

Free weight-

Back Squat (*quads*)
Dumbell chest press (spotter) (*chest*)
Tricep press supine (spotter) (*triceps*)

Every major muscle is worked with this setup. Now personally I would have deadlift in there, but being that this is supposed to be designed for a female who hasnt worked out in months..I left it out.

Im certainly far from a know it all so if you dont like this setup i wont be offended ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:05 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for your help guys - much appreciated. I might swap the lat pulldown for a seated row but i deliberately sleft out the back squats cos she has knee problems. I also thought about doing the seated shoulder press but as the quads werent targeted with sqauts i needed an exercise to target this and the only way i could fit it in was with machine leg press. Is the shoulder press a much better option than the lat raise then?

Also just out of interest is DB chest press better than DB chest flyes? I always find i feel more like i have worked out when i do flyes - perhaps a female thing too cos we cant acrtually build the chest out!

Anyway thanks again - all much appreciated!

Jessica.x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:31 pm 
Well if you are only doing 1 of the 2, then doing the dumbell press is always the better choice over flyes. Flyes are something you would do after already benching...its not a stand alone chest exercise.

Ok new setup!

Machine -

1)Leg press
2)Leg curl
4)seated row

Free weight-

3)Dumbell bench press (spotter)
5)Tricep supine press (spotter)
6) Lateral raise

The numbers to the left are the order id say go in. I put in leg press now since you wanted to leave out squat. One thing to remember though is that machine leg exercises will never be as good as the squats or deadlifts are.

I also replaced the shoulder press with the lat raise, since the dumbell press gives the front delts work as an accessory muscle. This way you now have all 3 parts of the delts being worked (the seated row hits the rear delts)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next