ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Preparing for Surgery
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:43 pm 
I regularly eat healthy foods, do rigorous aerobics (indoor exercycle) for 30 to 60 minutes most days of the week and lift weights (basic exercises for major muscle groups with free weights). I am undergoing surgery for early stage prostate cancer in a couple of months. Can anyone suggest any additional things I can do to be in the best possible shape prior to surgery? I am 57 years old. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:29 pm 
Eat well and take all of your vitamins? I'm not really sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:27 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

You don't say what kind of shape you are in regarding your core. When I was slated for female abdominal surgery, and was in bad bad shape, I asked our local trainer for some exercises to strengthen my core region. She gave me mostly mat work- pilates type. I only had two weeks to prepare, but it did help.

After recuperation, that's when I started going to the gym regularly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:23 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

If you're exercising regularly and eating healthy, you're doing the right thing for surgury prep. If you use herbs, you might want to avoid those that either thin the blood or enhance circulation immediately before your operation. Examples are garlic, ginko biloba and gotu kola.

Here is an article about prostate cancer and nutrition. Here is another. Eating right is no guarantee that you won't get cancer, but it can reduce the incidence and severity of the disease.

Best of luck to you. I'll say a prayer for you. Be sure to post after the surgury to let us know how you're doing.

Post subject: percy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]