ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Training question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:22 pm 
n00b
n00b

I'm trying to add some cardio into my routine. I can't stand cardio, so I'm working on a routine that is like a circuit training routine. Basically I'm taking one exercise per muscle group and going from one to the other with little or no rest in between sets. I do the circuit twice. I tried this the other day and it wore me out.

Is this really a good way of working out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:53 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Hi. Well, that is known as the old PHA or Peripheral Heart Action method, popularized years ago. Not the best way to go for maximal size or strength, but IMO, from a general fitness/metabolic/somewhat cardio perspective, it can't be beat. The guys and gals over at Crossfit.com use all kinds of variations on this. But keep in mind, if you're interested in strength, you should include a few separate sessions devoted to that.
Good training,
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:21 pm 
Novice
Novice

I agree with TimD. A good fast paced (preferably no rest) weight program involving your larger muscle groups foremost (legs, back and chest) mixed in with sprints, plyometrics and/or shuffle runs cant be beat for a good mix of cross training for endurance and fat burning. Again, for strength, split your workouts up or slow the pace down between sets.

Scott Ismari

Post subject: Destiny
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:04 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]