ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:12 am 

I would not be too worried about biceps being everyone's strongest lift. It isnt that important except to a select few sports. Going back to what someone said earlier, try doing a heavy rowing/pulldown movement before your biceps. Same for triceps, try doing heavy pressing before triceps. This usually gets them better than anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:37 pm 
Novice
Novice

Make sure you don't move your shoulders. If heavy weight makes you swing that might be the problem. Make sure your upper arms are still and you only bend at the elbows. I see MANY people who use momentum and that takes the load off the biceps. Try hammers and concentration curls as well. If your brachialis and brachioradialus are week, they can hold back your biceps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:53 pm 

I am pretty sure that to properly complete a bicep curl the upper arm and shoulder must rotate/swing forward slowly and adjust the angle of the upper arm so that the bicep can finish its contraction.

I believe this has to do with the attachment of the biceps tendon although I could be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

If that was true, preacher and conc curls would be impossible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:59 pm 

No, it just means those exercises dont work the bicep through a full range of motion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:06 pm 

check out the way the model does them,

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Biceps/BBCurl.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:27 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Ryan A wrote:
The 15 minutes of cardio is good but if you fat loss is your goal you should be doing more.

How much cardio can I do AFTER my workouts 5 days a week before it starts to be a bad thing? Also I was going to try 15 mins of higher intensity cardio vs say 30-40 mins of walking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:33 am 

If your goal is fat loss then I don't see how too much can hurt you. If you stick to the bodypart split you could definately do the cardio after all workouts except legs with no ill effects. I prefer high intensity myself but this can take a toll on your body if you do it everyday you are doing now. I would do a mix of both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:37 pm 
Novice
Novice

I see some slight shoulder movement. He isn't using his delts or momentum to do the lift though. I am not sure what this has to do with what I was telling Nunya. He said going heavy on curls makes him swing. I told him keep his upper arms still so he doesn't use momentum or his delts. Telling someone that makes them aware of what they are doing. Besides that, the slight movement you see in the shoulders from the contraction of the biceps, is very different from the shoulders "swinging forward". I was just warning someone away from a common mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:18 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

By hurt I mean muscle loss. Fat loss is my primary goal, but not SO much as to sacrifice muscle. I think the more articles I read, the more I am scared to even exercise as I feel like I am going backwards! Maybe if I bump my cardio to 20-30 mins a day, but keep it lower intensity then? Maybe I should do it in the mornings and do low to mid-intensity spinning for 20 mins as opposed to post-work out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:52 am 

I was just saying the upper arm does move in a correct bicep curl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:25 pm 
Novice
Novice

Nunya, mass building is the best way to get fat loss. Weight training of any kind, according to articles on this site, burn 9 times as much fat as cardio. Cardio is for working your heart and lungs, not loosing weight. It can be used to burn a few extra calories though. If you look into it, you will see raw calories in and out are the smallest part of the equation. However most people spend all their efforts tweaking that, and only that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:46 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Is there anything I should change on my routine? I like keeping it with basic larger movements, as I'm not aiming to be a bodybuilder. Is adding a few sets of curls on Friday going to hinder rather than help me? I would like to keep it to a limit of 3 exercises a day, Mon-Fri at the most so that I can stick with it with my time and still toss in cardio. Also, are there any good carb/protein bars out there to eat 2-3 hours before working out that don't taste like mud? =) You're input is, as always, greatly appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:29 pm 
Novice
Novice

The basic compound lifts are great. Drop the extra curls on Friday, but add something to target lateral delts like upright rows or lateral raises. Make sure you do something for lower back, abs and hams too.

I like the healthy life protein bars at Aldis and they are cheap. The Atkins ones are good too. Whey protein powder is the best thing for right before and after though. Carb loading is only for skinny hard gainer types. Your body needs to use fat reserves in your case. In my opinion this is quicker and easier then bulk/cut cycles. So aviod all that sugary stuff.

You can build a workout with the advice above and in all the other posts in this or you can try this:

Monday
Barbell Row
Barbell Curl
Dumbell concentration Curl 1 set
hammer curl 1 set
maybe a set of wrist flexor/extensor for forarms.

Tuesday
Squat
wide stance squat
calves

Thursday
Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
front raises 1 set
Lying Triceps Extension 1 or 2 sets should be good

Friday
Barbell Shrug
lateral raises
straight leg deadlift
weighted situps or other ab work

or maybe

Monday
Barbell Row
Barbell Curl
Dumbell concentration Curl 1 set
hammer curl 1 set
maybe a set of wrist flexor/extensor for forarms.

Tuesday
Squat
calves

Thursday
Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Military Press 1 set
shrugs 1 set
lateral raises
Lying Triceps Extension 1 set

Friday
straight leg deadlift
wide stance squat 2 sets
weighted situps or other ab work

The thing is keep the anterior delts with the chest. Don't work your lower back the day after squats or rows. Feel free to substitute. You could do reverse grip barbell curls instead of hammers or upright rows instead of laterals.

Post subject: Routine
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:41 am 
n00b
n00b

I try to keep mine to a 3 day split. I like Push, Legs, Pull. Maybe 3 or 4 exercises 1 warm up and 2 workout sets. I like it because Push isn't always on Monday or something like that. And it gives me some flexibility with my schedule. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next