ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:53 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I took a while but finally got it down to this to try out with your rules:

Bench Press 3 x 6 - 10
Incline Bench Press 3 x 6 - 10
Shoulder Press 3 x 6 - 10
Triceps Extension 3 x 6 - 10

Deadlift 3 x 6 - 10
Shrugs 3 x 6 - 10
Uprights 3 x 6 - 10

Barbell Row 3 x 6 - 10
Barbell Curl 3 x 6 - 10
Dumbbell Curl 3 x 6 - 10
Hammer Curl 3 x 6 - 10

Squat 3 x 6 - 10
Calve Raises 3 x 6 - 10
Single-Legged Calve Raises 3 x 6 - 10

M/Tu Th/Fri

I'll let you know how it goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:43 am 
Novice
Novice

That's pretty good. The only thing is you should keep in mind your triceps are goning to be cooked by the time you do all those presses. They probably wouldn't get overtrained but, it isn't needed. Your biceps will get worked doing the rows, then with all those curls on top of it.... That might cause a problem. You could always throw in some lat pullovers instead. Just letting you know, because I don't want you to come back here like "Hey I did what you said and now my arms are lagging." When putting stuff together, you want to get away from thinking, this is for chest, this is for shoulders, this is for triceps. Keep in mind the way the muscles work together. Look them up on the excercise and muscle directory on this site. Do some bench press and think about how your front delts and triceps feel. With shoulder excercises pay attention to which part or parts they work. Muscle knowledge and how they do the different lifts is the most important thing for putting a routine together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:44 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

The thing is my arms have been my weakest point so far. My chest and Legs are passing them by too much and I think it's because I've not been hitting them enough, so I'm trying something that blasts them more one good time a week and let them recover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:52 pm 

Try benching with a more narrow grip to increase tricep recruitment.

Also, you shoul be rowing nearly as much, if not more than you are bench pressing. Rowing and lat pulling with heavy weights is the best way to get great bicep development. Use the curls to finish off the biceps with some good isolation but use the heavy weights used during the rows/pulls to make them really grow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:19 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I only have a free-weight home gym right now. Rows and Deadlift are like the closest thing I have for back exercise. I'm not strong enough to do pullups yet because I'm too dang heavy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:01 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yea, Ryan is exactly right. Also you don't need anything but free-weights. That is why I said pullOVER. The easiest way is to lay on a bench (straight or bent arms) with a barbell and you just let it go back over your head until you feel just a little bit of a stretch and then pull it over in front of you. You will be moving mainly just at the shoulders. A set or 2 will be great for lats, but the rows are the main thing. I go to a gym that has EVERYTHING, and rows with dumbbell or barbell is my main thing for back. Sometimes I suppliment with 1 set of cable pulldowns, but sometimes I just do a set of pullovers with a bb or db. I think bb, db and plates are the most effective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:14 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Ok, I must have been thinking of a different exercise! I will replace the hammer curls (which I never do, just added it) with the pullovers on my back/biceps day and try it out. Thanks for the advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:21 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Do you think my days are in the best order for recovery? I would like Legs on Friday as it gives me the weekend of no cardio to recover, and I can walk funny at home without worrying about stares!

Should my back/bi day stay at Thurs, or should I swap with my push exercises to get the best out of my tuesday deadlift, etc. I will give this way a go anyway but if there's a slightly better order I can place them in, feel free to let me know! I feel like I'm learning so much from here!

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:55 pm 
Novice
Novice

Your days are fine. Keep the hammers though instead of the db curls. Or if you don't want to do those trade either the db or bb curls for reverse grip bb curls. This is for the benefit of your bracioradialus (belly shaped muscle at base of forearm). You can look at the arms page on the muscle directory on this site for other ideas too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:36 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I've been looking at some templates and thought maybe I should separate my weights and cardio, so that I can concentrate on each without worrying about the other. How's this for a start? (I decided to include Saturday now since I don't do anything that day anyway in the mornings!)

Monday

Barbell Row 3 x 10
Lateral Pullover 3 x 10
Shrugs 3 x 10
Barbell Curl 3 x 10
Dumbbell Curl 3 x 10

Wednesday

Bench Press 3 x 10
Incline Bench Press 3 x 10
Shoulder Press 3 x 10
Upright Row 3 x 10
Triceps Extension 3 x 10

Friday

Squat 3 x 10
Calve Raises 3 x 10
Single-Legged Calve Raises 3 x 10

Tuesday – Thursday - Saturday

Crunches 1 x Max
Cardio 20 - 30 Mins.

I would like to throw in some deadlifts on Friday also but I guess I'm not suppose to mix up Squats and Deadlifts together. Thoughts on this new plan? (PS I love this forum, so much great info from great people!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:50 pm 
Novice
Novice

You can do them together, but pay VERY close attention to how your lower back feels. Maybe even do one of your squats as a front squat with less weight as that puts more on your abs then your back. If it feels a little light maybe superset it with a hack squat. Just be carefull, it will hurt pretty bad and make it hard to walk and stand upright if you strain it. cardio is better on a seperate day for sure. I think I said that at the beginning, or maybe I am thinking of someone else. As for the rest of it I have pretty much already said what I think earlier in the thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:50 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hmm I must be doing something wrong with the Lat Pullovers. I don't feel my lats sore or anything. I feel like my shoulders and/or triceps are doing a lot of the work too. Think I'm using too much weights or whatnot? I'm trying to copy what the guy on the forum does on the .gif but I'm not feeling it. Any tips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:54 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Also, I decided to put Deadlift to begin my monday workout with back/biceps and it kicked my rear! The biggest problem is that by the time I got to curling, my back was on fire from deadlift and rows. Hopefully I'll get a little used to it after a while, otherwise I'll swap to shrugs as my main priority right now are my biceps, which are behind everything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:13 pm 
Novice
Novice

When you say deadlift are you talking classic? You should do straight legs because one of things you needed was something for hamstrings. If you are doing regular deadlifts with rows I can see why your back was sore. Or do you mean your lower back is sore? Try the bent arm pullovers, those isolate the lats better. You won't feel it a lot because the lats are used to heavy use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:53 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Yes, regular deadlifts. I will check out the other pullovers, my tricep feels a little sore from them so I think I must be doing something wrong lol.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next