Male, 27, 6’0”, 180
I’ve been working out for a long time, but for 7 years I was doing a very typical ineffective beginner workout (Too many machines, not enough compound movements, and too much upper-body). I’ve been doing a lot of research and reading on exercise and fitness for the last few months, and I think I’ve really just started working out effectively. My squats are way behind the rest of my lifts because I’ve just started going much deeper. I’m posting this log mostly just to keep tract of what I have been doing, but I’d love to hear any comments about how I could improve.
I start every workout with a 5-minute warm-up on a heavy bag, and a core routine. I stretch after every workout focusing on hip mobility. As far as diet goes, I just make sure to get my three square meals, and drink a protein shake with a banana after workouts. Ultimately I’d like to continue to get stronger and replace 5-10 lbs of fat with 15-20 lbs of muscle, but I’m in no hurry on the weight gain.
My first workout entry will be the one I did last Friday:
1. Power clean/ front squat/ push press (all one motion): warm-up, 8 x 95, 5 x 115, 5 x 115
2. Bench Press: warm-up, 10 x 155, 4 x 185, 4 x 185
3. Dead lifts: warm-up, 10 x 225, 5 x 275, 5 x 275
4. Pull-ups: body weight warm-up, BW+15 x 8, BW+25 x 5
5. Upright rows: warm-up, 8 x 95, 5 x 105, 3 x 115
20 minutes interval trail running
Rest/ Frisbee golf