ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:44 pm 
former lurker

I'm trying to be a power lifter. A good one. I did my first meet November 17th, competing in the 181 lb Juniors division.

My actual bodyweight that day was 170 lbs, very light for my weight class. My best lifts were:

Bench = 336
Squat = 389
Dead = 364

I am most definitely not an upper body whore, but I need to work on my squats and deads. I could have gone heavier on squats, but since it was my first competition, I think I went a little to conservative, I started with 364 as an opener I knew I could make, and I was afraid to jump more then 10 lbs at a time, I've hit 415 with competition form in the gym.

My dead lifts have been bad since I hurt my back about a year and a half ago, I was doing dead lifts incorrectly (I didn't know any better at the time!) and rounding my back... Definitely still hurts when I wake up and when I sit down for a long time, but I can train deads now. I have a feeling my low deads are a result of psychology (I'm sort of afraid to go heavy) and form (I tend to stiffen up a lot, probably for fear of re-injury!)

Here are some goals I have for my next competition in March:

Bench 340ish, just any small improvement would be acceptable
Squats 430 (or more obviously)
Deadlifts 430 (or more obviously)

Squats isn't that big of a jump given I've hit high weights before, and my lift of 389 was very light.

Deadlifts is a very large jump, and I realize its pretty optimistic, but I am also prepared to work hard, rest hard, and focus on my form and also my flexibility!

I forgot to mention that, I have always been very inflexible in my hamstrings, and after I hurt my back the first time it actually got even worse. If I am sitting down with my legs out, I can't stay upright without my hands to hold my upper upright, because my hamstrings are so tight.

I was in the groove for a few weeks with stretching, stopped for a few weeks, but I've kicked myself in the ass enough I think I will stick with it this time.

Deadlifts today, I have to find my 8 rep max...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:02 pm 
former lurker

Al my lifts above, btw, were Raw... as in, t-shirt and a singlet, no belt, no kneewraps... belt and knee wraps were allowed but I don't have any.

8 rep max was 335 for dead lifts.... not bad, my form was feeling "On" today