ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting back to my best
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:16 am 
Novice
Novice

I am a 41 year old, father of 2 who years ago used to be very fit. Over the past 5 or 6 years I have been very inconsistent with my workouts and at present am about 15 to 20 pounds overweight. I have decided to get fit again. I want to be in the best shape of my life!!! I am happy that in the past week I've been able to do 3 weight sessions and will continue to do so in future. I will also add some cardio/plyometric workouts next week. My diet also needs some improvement which I will do gradually over the next few weeks. My wife is very supportive and wants to do some jogging together when we can organize someone to look after the kids. I am hoping that in 6 months from now I will be in the best shape of my life.

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

completed another weights session on sunday: here's how it went

All weights in pounds

upright row
9x 55pounds
6x 80
3x 102
8x 55

bent leg deadlift
9x 102
6x 123
3x 135
7x 102

db bench press
10x 25each
8x 38
8x 38
10x 25

step up
12x 16each
12x 16
12x 16

straight leg deadlift
12x 16each
12x 16
12x 16

db bent over rows
9x 25each
6x 38
6x 38
7x 25

partial front squat
8x 102
8x 102
8x 102

incline push up
15x body weight
12x body weight
10x body weight

db pullover
9x 38
8x 38
8x 38

hammer curls
9x 38
9x 38
8x 38

sit ups x 25
elbow to opp. knee x20
double crunch x 15
back arches x 20

Notes: minor strain in right forearm prevented me from doing regular bicep curls, chronic left shoulder injury prevents me from doing military press or incline bench press

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:02 am 
Novice
Novice

Did a leg workout today and felt really fresh after a 3 day break. Managed to complete a set of 7 reps of squats at 179 pounds which i thought was great after only 3 weeks of training. Looking forward to my next leg workout on friday.

Post subject: frustrated
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

Just when I was making some great progress, I missed a workout due to tiredness then had to work the next day and couldn't fit in a workout. The day after i caught the mother of all flu viruses which kept me off work and in bed for 3 days. Still haven't fully recovered yet so still can't work out and still struggling to eat a full meal. Lost about 5 pounds so far which is not a bad thing but feel really p.ssed off at not being able to workout. Will probably be close to 2 weeks between workouts which could be some setback after only being back into it for 3 weeks.

Post subject: Back into it
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:54 am 
Novice
Novice

After recovering from the flu and a nasty cough which followed, I have started training again. I have also gone back to karate after a few weeks off due to work commitments. I have tried to include some plyometric work, mainly jumping drills, rope jumping and also some power cleans. I need to refine my schedule to include everything but allowing enough recovery time also. With a wife and 2 young kids, it's a bit like trying to solve a massive jigsaw puzzle. I'll be doing my best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:05 am 
Novice
Novice

I am really happy with my workout yesterday. I managed to equal my pb in squat of 226pounds. Today i have that nice kind of muscle soreness. I'm looking forward to how much improvement I can make on that. Will try for another pb in 5 or 6 weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:16 pm 
Novice
Novice

It's great that after the lay- off due to illness, my left shoulder injury seems to have made a full recovery. I can now perform military press and incline bench without any problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:51 am 
Novice
Novice

Hold that last thought. The left shoulder still feels a little painful after being pushed really hard but at least I can still get through enough sets.
Really need to get serious about what I eat and need to add more HIIT type training to burn off a little bit of fat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:19 am 
Novice
Novice

Achieved another pb on squats with 251lb for 2 reps. I will be trying to reach 300 or as close as possible by Christmas. Need to focus on upper body also. I haven't really pushed myself as hard as I have with legs. I want to be bench pressing close to 200 by Christmas. Same with b/o rows. Left shoulder felt good today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:24 am 
Novice
Novice

Whilst I have lost some fat (The upper abs are more defined) and gained in strength, my weight has stayed the same for a while. I'm thinking I need to increase my protein intake as I think I'm only eating enough to maintain but not grow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:33 am 
Novice
Novice

Might change my routine. I've been doing a full body 3x a week for about 6 weeks but feel like I need a change and more time to recover. I'm thinking of Sun/ Tues/ Fri - Lower/Upper/Full body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:04 pm 
Novice
Novice

Unfortunately due to tendonitis in both elbows and a little at the top of the right hamstring, Ive had to stop weight training. Have tried to train with it but it's getting worse. Don't know if I can get treatment before Christmas but will have to defer my personal best goals until Feb. Hopefully I can make a good comeback like I did after the terrible flu I caught earlier this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:07 am 
Novice
Novice

Finally managed to get treatment on my elbows today and they feel a lot better. I'll wait till after my follow up appointment next week to start training again though. I'll follow the advice from the physio who seems to think the problem may have been caused by a lack of stretching, not holding the wrists in a neutral position on some exercises or overtraining. Probably a combination of all three.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:53 am 
Novice
Novice

Unfortunately since my last update i've recently been overseas for 4 weeks where I couldn't really workout and before that struggled to get back into my regular workout routine. I still haven't achieved my goals yet but will try to reach them by August. That gives me 3 months of hard work ahead.