ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Andy's journal
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:05 am 

Friday, 14 June

Genesis, Nampa, with Sam.

Log clean and push-presses. No idea what the log weights, but it was the lightest one there. Maybe 5 times.

Trap bar DL
Worked up to singles at 225

Farmers' Carries
Different implements than last week. I don't know what they weigh, maybe 90 or so? 3 trips each, probably 40 yards.

Really tired. Leaving for Indiana tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:31 am 

Wednesday, 19 June

Nunn's Performance Training, Avon, Indiana

This turned out to be a 1-on-1 session with Jason. He did a partial FMS, confirmed somethings I knew, found some things I didn't. We looked at shoulder mobility, confirmed that I have seriously limited ER, but pretty symmetric. Side-laying ERs will be a big part of my training for a long time, along with floor slides and stretches.

Overhead squats were much what I expected, but with some cuing not quite as bad as they have been when I tried them on my own. Some video on Jason's phone showed me how much kyphosis I'm developing in my t-spine. I'll be increasing the thoracic extensions that I already do. Squatting with a little bit of heel lift made the squats a lot better. I've always believed that my ankle mobility was exceptional. Guess not.

We mixed in looking at some warm-up drills Jason suggested to help with several things.

We finished with deadlifts. More video showed that I do allow some rounding, not with my first rep, but after that.

When I go back Friday morning, I'll workout with one of Jason's training groups. I'm really looking forward to that!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:38 pm 

Friday, 22 June

Nunn's Performance Training

Went in, expecting to be part of one of Jason's small, semi-private training groups. I got there early to warm up and stretch before the workout began. But Jason told me to wait, so I watched him train 2 men and a lady. They were doing circuits for max reps in a given time. I think they each were doing a slightly different circuit. One guy was busting his guts to try to get in more sets of his circuit than he had achieved before, and made it. Then, with them all exhausted from their circuits, Jason took them out in the parking lot and made them push a prowler!

When they finished, Jason said that he had printed up a plan for my workout. It turned out to be another private session! It mainly consisted of him teaching me some mobility drills that he wants me to use as warm-ups/work-out for a few weeks. Several of these were new to me. Details another day.

Then, after a little discussion, he had me front squat. Anyone who has followed this journal may recall that I occasionally do light front squats, intending to work on them for a time, but I never actually follow through and do much with them. I usually drop them because they don't feel right to me. Jason thinks that FS will be easier on my back, and wants to put them in my program, completely replacing BS for a (?long?) time. I used lifting straps around the bar to grip (like Tim used to do with vice-grip pliers). It works quite well.

I did:
8 with the empty bar
5 x 95
5 x 115
To this point Jason's only comment was to cue "drive your knees out". When I asked, he said form was OK.
Then loaded 135, to go to technical failure. This came dramatically on the attempted 3rd rep, when I completely lost the bar. Jason spotted me. Jason's only comment was "that's technical failure."

I'll be back there Monday morning.

This is incredible.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:06 pm 

Monday, 24 June

Mobility drills. A lot of mobility drills, about 20 minute's worth, lots of cueing from Jason.

Bench
Worked to learn to set up the way Jason does, but I was clumsy enough that Jason said it was OK to set up the way I'm used to.
Worked up to 135 and repped out. Only got 9 reps. Or was it 10?

Half-kneeling single-arm land-mine presses
10# on the bar, 10R, 9L
It's harder than it sounds

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:11 pm 

Tuesday, 25 June

Mobility drills

Rack pulls--bar height 10"
Worked up to 275xb

Single-arm cable rows
10 reps each side. Don't know the tension.

Pretty sure we did something else, but it's late and I'm tired.

I will say that Jason has been great. I'll have one more session with him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:54 pm 

Thursday, 27 June

Warm-up/mobility drills

Reviewed the template that Jason has written, checking that I understand technique for each exercise. See my journal discussion thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:05 am 

Tuesday, 2 July

Genesis Fitness, Nampa

Warmup/mobility drills

Bench
115x5
125x5
135x9

Dumbbell Row
3x50x10

Triceps Push-down
70x10
2x80x10

Horiz Pullups
5/5/4

Barbell Rollouts
9/7/5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:17 am 

Friday, 5 July

Genesis Fitness, Nampa

Warm-up/mobility

Front squats
95x5
105x5
115x5

Facepulls
5x35x10

SLRDL
5x40x10

Stir The Pot
5x10
Band Pull Aparts
Double red tube 5x10

Was supposed to super-set FS+Face pulls/SLRDL+Stir the Pot+Band Pullaparts, but am a bit slow sometimes. Now I'm paying attention.

Genesis is a great place. People talk to each other, introduce themselves. Before I was done today I knew the names of 3 guys, and had conversations with 2 of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:01 pm 

Monday, 8 Juky

Genesis Fitness, Nampa

WU, Mobility work

Chins 5/3/3
Face pulls 3x25x10

Half-kneeling landline press 2x bar+10x10, 3x bar +5x10
Reverse flye 5x40x10
Pallof 5x25x10

Typing on an iPad mini doesn't make me want to comment much.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:18 am 

Tuesday, 16 July

Genesis Fitness, Nampa

Warmup/Mobility

Rack Pulls (19")
5x210
5x240
8x275

SS, Split Squats (2*20)/Rollouts/GHR
5 sets, 10/10/8/6/6

Detrained, or tired from the stress of recent days, but I wore out quickly on the SS. This is the day we should be traveling back to PNG, but obviously, I'm still here, and will be for 2 more weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:03 am 

Friday, 19 July

Genesis Fitness--Have I mentioned that there's a world-record holding powerlifter who trains here?

W/U & Mobility at home earlier

SS Bench--SADB Row
3x115
3x135
5x155
Row 50#x10/10/10

SS Tri pushdown (80#)/horizontal rows/rollouts
5x10

Bench without a spotter. I'm used to a handoff, so getting the bar out of the rack was a bit challenging, but the reps came OK.
Tris are OK, which means I should be going heavier.
Horizontal rows--still not a good setup for this, but I used the Smith, and got the bar higher than last time. The end of the ROM, when the chest is getting close to the bar are the hard part for me. After the 2nd set each rep faded a little. Last few reps were pitiful.
Rollouts are a tool of the devil. I'm pretty sure that the 10th rep of the 5th set was the last one I could have possibly done. But it's also the most I've done.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:49 am 

Monday, 23 July

Genesis Fitness, Nampa

W/U & mobility at home

Front Squat
3x95
3x110
3x120

Face Pulls
5x10x40

SS SLRDL 50#/Stir The Pot (med red ball)/Band Pull Aparts (2xred band)
5x10

FS--didn't have updated spread sheet, so guessed weights

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:54 am 

Wednesday, 25 July

Genesis Fitness, Nampa

Chin ups/face pulls
3/3/4
40x10
2x40x10

SS Landmine single-arm press 10#/reverse flyes 40#
5x10

Pallof
4x10x25

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:48 pm 

Saturday, 3 August

Kudjip Station, PNG

Rack Pull, 19"
3x225
3x260
3x290

Split Squat/Rollout/GHR
1 set, then a few more, then home

Still tired, jet-lagged, de-trained, needed to get ready for a dinner appointment. Should have waited another day, but looking ahead at the call schedule, this fit in better. Oh, well. I'll get into it better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:16 am 

Monday, 5 August

Bench/DB Row
5x125
3x145
1x160*
Row 4x10x50

Pushdown/Horiz Pullups/TRX Fallouts
Only time for 2 sets of 10.

I hadn't gotten my email yet, and expected this to be a 5/3/1 day, so I figured the weights and did this. Then I get Jason's email, and he wants me doing 3x5 with a drop set. Oh, well. I'll get my report in to Jason sooner next cycle.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next