ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:42 pm 

For 10 weeks I did a 5x5/3x5 routine with DBBP, OHP and CGBP. I've been wanting to change it up but not sure exactly how I want to, or should do it.

First, I want to add dips. I'm at a weight where I can do enough to benefit from the movement with BW. I'm sure I could even add weight at this point, but we'll get to that later.

Here is what I was thinking.

DBBP: 3 warm up sets, 3 working sets.
OHP: 3 working sets
Chest Dips: 3-5 sets to failure, or do 25 reps in the least amount of sets.
Triceps Accc. movement: CGBP/Seated Tri Press/Skull Crushers/Pushdowns

or moving DIPS to the number 2 slot. I know i'm going to get some flack for all this pushing in one day. I like to break it up as legs/push/pull. I only train push movements once per week, so I'd like to get it all included in one day.

I like doing DB Bp vs BB BP. I suck at benching but always felt that when I concentrated on DB BP, it did more. Plus I don't need a spotter.

Also, would dips be enough of a chest exercise that I could sub it for DB BP and hit IN DB BP as my secondary movement?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:40 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Don't major the minor. I don't think dips would be a good main lift. They are a good tricep and chest exercise, but I would still have a main lift like bench press, floor press, overhead press or incline press. DB BP is also a very good exercise, and better for the shoulders for many.
Also I don't like the idea of going to failure every workout. The whole workout is almost build on triceps, it's hard enough as it is. the latter sounded better. Somewhere around 6 to 12 reps, for 2 to 5 sets would also be nice. Not much more than that. Then progress in weight.

Plus, I'm not sure you need four exercises that work the triceps, the last exercise might be quite useless.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:21 am 

Shawn, I'm thinking that this discussion would fit better in your discussion thread, rather than here among the journals. I'd be happy to move these posts into your discussion thread.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:36 pm 

I knew I put this in the wrong forum. Feel free to move!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:39 pm 

Dub wrote:
Don't major the minor. I don't think dips would be a good main lift. They are a good tricep and chest exercise, but I would still have a main lift like bench press, floor press, overhead press or incline press. DB BP is also a very good exercise, and better for the shoulders for many.
Also I don't like the idea of going to failure every workout. The whole workout is almost build on triceps, it's hard enough as it is. the latter sounded better. Somewhere around 6 to 12 reps, for 2 to 5 sets would also be nice. Not much more than that. Then progress in weight.

Plus, I'm not sure you need four exercises that work the triceps, the last exercise might be quite useless.

Only reason I tossed in the last movement was because for the 10 weeks of the first routine, I didn't feel like it was doing anything triceps wise. Chest and shoulders felt like they got work, but triceps just don't feel like I do anything unless their is some sort of isolation.