ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Don't call it a comeback
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:18 pm 

Don't tell me I don't know what I'm doing.
440 for a single 2 weeks prior to surgery.
6.5 weeks post surgery (8/31) I come out swinging:

225 bench for a set of 8.

Did some occlusion work - thank you very much Mr. Croxdale.

Did by a SS Yoke Bar for squatting so at least I could lift something heavy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:00 pm 

After PT, I went and did SS squats. I've got to say that the yoke bar makes you learn good form. I guarantee my form is the best it has ever been. I dare say this might have been the best investment I've ever made.

After that and some aux work, I went and played around on the bench - last set - 315 for 3. Surprisingly, my pec seemed to be the weak point. I didn't really lift, but I told my therapist I was going to do it and I didn't want to lie to him.

My biggest problem seems to be I've lost a lot of tightness. I didn't want to explode because I'm still feeling things out, but I seemed pretty weak on my stabilizers. I'll actually lift bench on Wednesday. I'm thinking 3 sets of ten at 225.

I don't want to rush anything, but damn I'm feeling good. The only pain I'm having is some residual muscle spasms in the upper bicep and forearm pain that tracks the ulna nerve.

I've decided, to reward my comeback, to become a gear whore. I'll be buying my gear next week -
Metal Mesh pro bencher
Metal Pro Squatter
Metal Pro Sumo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:58 am 

Did bench - did three sets of 10 at 225. I go back to PT today. I'l give 365 a whirl and then drop and do 275 for sets of 10

Bought my gear yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:00 pm 

2 months post surgery, exactly
worked up to 365 and threw it up easily. I thought I could hit 405. I couldn't. I'm estimating my max to be only around 390 right now. That would mean I lost 50 lbs, but I guess all in all, that isn't too bad.

Did rows, and hit pec dec for aux work.

Occlusion curls and tricep work.

I see the doc on Thursday - hopefully for a full clearance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:21 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

jesus hoose be careful!

have you tried out the gear yet?

EDIT: sorry meant to post this in the comments...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:38 am 

No problem - kinda hypocritical me talking about not doing curls - and then doing them...

I haven't gotten the gear yet. According to my UPS tracker, it is now in Hopkins, IL. I probably won't try the shirt for another month. I'll try the squat suit ASAP.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:01 pm 

hoosegow wrote:
I thought I could hit 405. I couldn't. I'm estimating my max to be only around 390...

This means that right now you could bench me and my PR.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:47 pm 

Yah, but I'm fat.

I saw the doctor today. He is happy with my progress and let me go with the only restriction of take it slow - said 4 times.

I did overhead presses for the first time since probably mid-August. I am surprised at how weak my front delt is. I was able to do 3 sets of 8 at 135. It never felt heavy, but just... unreliable. I did machine dips and lat pulldowns for aux work. The lat pull downs felt weird and every lift I had to go slow. I felt like if I tried to explode, something would tear. I know I'm going to be sore as heck tomorrow and Saturday.

Also did occlusion curls and tricep extension.

Kenny, I just measured my arms for my gear. Cold - hanging straight down, the right measured 19 in the middle and 16 2 inches above the elbow. The left (injured one) measured 17.5 and 15 respectively. I told you I'd give you measurements before I started rehab - this is really only week 2 in.

Gear is in Hodgkins, Il. C'mon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:59 pm 

Squat day.

Gear came in. I don't know if it fits or not. I'm exhausted trying and failing to get it on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:48 pm 

405 touch and go.

Everything felt like it was going to tear off until I got to 365 and then it just felt good. I may have to start foam rolling the upper body.

I did the pec deck and rows for aux work. The pec deck seems to stretch my pec where it connects to the delt and work that fairly well. It seems like that is where I'm the weakest or most atrophied. It might be all in my mind because normally I'm not a machine advocate.

Curled and did some tricep work (forgot surgical hose so couldn't do the occluded training).

I was worried it was going to take a lot longer to get back to 400+. 69 days post surgery and lost only 7%... I'll take it. I'm still not confident of my left side and won't really push myself until December.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:04 am 

Benched 315 3 sets of 8. I'm starting to get some confidence back. I didn't feel shakey or weak at all, even when fatigued.

I can still feel a slight tweak at the injury spot when I row heavy. As expected, it is more when I contract at the end of the row.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:43 pm 

Squatted today. My lower back was f-ing tight so it was an overall bad experience.

The good news is that I tried on my squat suit and bench shirt today. The guy that got me into PL helped me out. According to him, they both looked like they fit perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:14 pm 

Mebbe this is going to morph into some kind of gear whore transformation thread.

I benched again today. This time with my shirt with the gear whore PL group at my gym. All i can say is WOW! Not necessarily in a good way either. Going from a raw lift to a geared lift is completely different.

First, the place where you touch, for me it is about 3 inches lower. Second, I had to switch from a suicide grip to conventional. Third, lifting plane is completely different. I don't know what to say other than after my first lifting session, I wouldn't recommend geared lifting to anyone unless they have someone there to show them the ropes. I was completely lost. The bad thing was that I was being told about 6 different things at a time to change. FWIW - I'm 40-50 pounds stronger raw than the guys I was lifting with.

I ended up doing 2 board presses. I widened my grip. My last set was better and stronger than any other sets.

Bottom line - this is going to be fun learning something completely different. Sunday is squat day with my suit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:28 am 

My arm was killing me this weekend. I guess that is what I get for doing multiple reps at high weight. I feel better today, though I'm not thinking about doing anything heavy this week - other than lift a drumstick or two.

Squatted with the suit yesterday. It was much easier to transition into, though I have some work learning it and trusting it.