ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kimmo's log
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:04 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Legs

Deadlift
60x10
80x10
100x10
120x10
140x10
160x10
170x7

Leg Press
150x20
150x10

Starting to feel good and strong again! That pull was techically a pr since all the reps looked perfect unlike last time i pulled 170kg for 10. Still need alot of work on hams, glutes, upper back and abs if i want to go back to low rep work.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:44 am 
former lurker

I also think that the massage is very hard thatswhy you are feeling the pain. So always we should choose the best massage therapist.A correct Traditional Housecall Massage Singapore comprises of correct training, studying and understanding of the human body.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:47 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Push workout

Incline Press
40x10
50x10
60x10
70x9
80x2 stupid choice of weight...

Press
50x10
50x8

Got to massage yesterday and focused really hard on rotator cuff, lats, arms and now my shoulders felt awesome while pressing! Who knows couple of more of these extremely painful treatments and i might even be able flat bench like new.
Not everything is going great thought after mondays workout right glute feels very painful randomly and stretching actually makes it worse. Might have a partial tear...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:08 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Back workout

Glute feels good again

Cable Row
40x20
50x20
60x20
70x20
80x10
60x15

Farmers Walk
39,2kgx20mx3 rounds
39,2kgx20mx2 rounds
39,2kgx20mx5 rounds (with straps)

Overhead squats@10kg and 20kg bar
these were hard as hell! They stretch my shoulders/biceps aswell as work my weak mid traps/rhomboids very well.

I think that this will be my "functional" back workout from now on. Later possibly power cleans & snatches. Overhead squats will be done every workout either as warm-up or finisher as suggested by massage therapist to keep my upper body mobile and functioning.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:03 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Legs

Feeling a little beat up in hips. Flexibility going up down every day. I stretch -> get flexibel -> wake up in the morning -> stiff again. This especially in hip flexors and glutes.

Front Squat
40x10
60x10
80x10
90x10 was hard
100x3
These are starting feel alot easier and better now! Upper back still not strong enough to rep out "heavy" weights. Lower reps might be easier to progress.

Straight-leg deadlift
60x10
80x10
100x10
120x8 Hard!

Forgot to do the overhead squat sigh...

Could say i feel better after the workout than before and im starting to get how long it actually takes to recover from busting my nuts on deadlift well one week is nothing really those stiffies felt very hard.
Not really even sure i could recover from heavy deadlift + leg press and then week 2 heavy low bar squat + stiffies. At the moment its working because front squats are so light.
Considering all the things i might move the deadlift to back day but use the cube method template to regulary deload and vary the intensity in a way so that i will be fully recovered for the heavy workouts.

For the squat and deadlift it would look like
week1: heavy squat, high rep sl deadlift
week2: Deload front squat, heavy deadlift
week3: high rep squat, deload power clean
This would satisfy my need to max out and have each lift its own day yet still be able to recover.
Its like Paul Carter said proper deadlift and squat routine should compliment each other rather than destroy each other. I read about that like year ago but didnt get how to do that until i looked at the cube method template.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:54 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Push day

Just couldnt resist to temptation so...

Close-gip Flat Bench press
barx10
40x10
50x10
60x10
70x10
uhm... what? weak as sh*t. Carryover from incline was not good even push press has been far better in the past. When i managed the 90x1 push press i was able to bench 90x3 close-grip without training for it.

Press
40x12
40x8
40x8

Some overhead squats... shoulders seem to pull back after doing these and i feel a painful stretch in right shoulder when i bring grip in. Couple of months of these and maybe my shoulders are like new?

Shoulders felt good while benching contemplating wether to start regulary benching or not... S:

Couple of things:
1. i need a simple progression plan. Pressing is not moving anywhere... Push press heavy/low rep followed by reps on strict press followed by upright row was ok but not nearly good enough.
2. i need to press twice a week but not heavy both times. I already know wendlers 531 killed my shoulders and recovery so that wont work. I have no idea how anyone recovers from that program without peds or leaving more than couple reps in tank.
3. Cube methods ideas possibly heavy bench, rep ovh, deload bench, heavy ovh, rep bench, deload ohp. Regular practice of both lifts without overworking the sh*t out of it or even simpler if i decide no bench.
4. 350 method from lift-run-bang a great idea to keep assistance work in check and get some PRs there too. This should be great as i have a tendency to do far too much volume when i feel great then after while i dont feel so great and no progress. Nothing revolutionary just a simple idea to keep things in check volume/intensity wise.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:42 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Pull day

Woke up 5 pm today... :eek:

Messing around with power cleans and high pulls as a warm-up.

Cable Row
80x15
80x11
80x10

Farmers Walk
39,2x20mx4 rounds
39,2x3 rounds
39,2x3 rounds
39,2x7 rounds(with straps)

Overhead squat
10kg barbell x10
regular bar x10
regular bar x10 with grip more in
These are starting feel a bit better but i wont add weight until it feels natural and grip is closer

45 degree hip extension bench
bwx20

Seated db curls
10kgx40 goal here will be 100 reps

Glutes still felt a bit beat up otherwise felt great. I'll do a light press workout tomorrow if i have the time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Light Press workout

New years promise: No bench press for 6 months atleast.

Overhead squats as warm-ups

Push Press
30x10
40x3
50x3
60x3

Press
40x15, 10, 8

Upright Row
30x18, 13, 10

Overhead routine will go something like this:
Week 1 Day 1 heavy push press + assistance, day 2 light push press + assistance
week 2 day 1: Heavier
Week 3 day 1: deload.
Simple. This way i can skip day 2 if i feel crap in shoulders and/or elbows

Glutes/low back feels pretty good! Im ready for another deadlift PR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:15 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Leg day(or should i say full body day)

Deadlift
60x10
80x10
100x10
120x10 so far everything felt fast and good
140x10 starting to slow down
160x8 incredibly hard to keep good form. Sign of fatigue in glutes/hams i guess this was to be expected since last monday i had trouble straight-legging 120kg which should been light as f*ck

Leg Press
100x20
100x18
100x15

Forgot the overhead squat again...

All the old guys say to me leave reps in tank for every set but i love training to failure and so my recovery times are getting more insane. Might be that my days of training to failure are over. I wont accept this just yet i will try to correct my sleeping and eating problems and see how it goes.
Had another massage today and we really focused on opening up the biceps. Such a small and poorly developed muscles yet extremely tight and painful. After treatment my shoulders feel extremely good i usually have a small feeling of tightness in them all the time but now they move smoothly and overhead position improved.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:45 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

This has been the most productive year of training ive learned alot of things on how to train, rehab and stay healthy.

Heres some of those things:
-The eternal stretch hip flexor strengthen glutes -> bullsh*t both need to be stretched hard and usually my glutes are tighter

-Proper stretching: Position where i can fully relax and stretch for long periods of time. Forcing it does not work. Stretch everyday.

-Common sense stretching: Inner side of knee hurts, stretch it -> pain goes away. Outer side of knee hurts, stretch it -> pain goes away.

-Stretching and consistency: Ive just kept stretching and experimenting and ive gone from "hard to tie show nails" to being able to go into weird positions that i never believed i could do.

- Movements like straight-leg deadlift work better for glute and hamstring flexibility than any static stretching but static stretching should still be done to assist

-Recovery day is more important than training day. Too many guys train at too high frequency ive seen it many times. Just recently my friend came back from 3 week layoff and felt stronger.

-High volume kills recovery instantly unless worked up to slowly and cycled

-Working a muscle once a week works also it is worth trying. I made the best muscle mass gains/push press strength gains while working low volume/low frequency. Better mass gains in triceps compared to last 3 years of training twice a week and ive got complemented on the matter.

-Small weak muscle can be extremely tight

-This is probably the most important thing in the words of an o-lifter at my gym! "Its not that you are not training hard enough, its that you are not allowing yourself enough recovery between workouts to improve."

-training to failure is not always a good thing and leaving reps in tank might be good idea

-High reps build up muscle faster and cause less joint pains and i feel stronger and im able to lift odd objects with ease due to deadlifting heavy/high reps. High reps also bring the the cardiovascular condition to much better level than just working with low reps. I barely ever get exhausted anymore.

-Trying to work with the same muscles twice a week heavy always fails miserably. Volume/intensity needs to be regulated.

-Deadlift is the king of exercises it works the whole body and focusing on it will grow muscle faster than doing anything else. It is also a very effective back exercise no matter what anyone tells you, better than rows or pulldowns which are just isolation in comparison.

-Rotator cuff is never weak its just tight and the muscles surrounding it are tight and need massage/stretching/movements that keep full range of motion in the joint. Working for a pump is ideal to restore/improve blood flow and start recovery.

-Bench press is a useless ego lift that only builds front delts

-Dips and behind the neck press do not destroy shoulders, going too heavy will. Light-Moderate weight and good stretch at bottom will keep joints healthier than not doing these exercises.

-Leg press can be useful tool if done correctly: Lowest seat position, Deep, paused, good stretch at bottom, tons of reps

-Straight-leg deads are more useful when using good form and lighter weight: At bottom: stretch hams, glutes and pause dont rest on floor. At top: Squeeze glutes,lats, traps, rhomboids.

-There are no glute activation problems just people who refuse to correct form and work at lighter weights / higher reps aswell as stretch.

-Falling forward and good morning squats:
the usual rant that glutes and hams are weak well lets just say i have yet to see anyone fail to good morning squat shouldnt that tell something? Pause squat and see where it hurts most: Quads. GM-Squat is ab, upper back, inflexibility and quad strength issue when talking front squat, high bar back squat. This is exactly why getting stronger glutes/hams never did anything for this issue then "magically" front squats helps the problem.

-Ankle flexibility for fronts/high bar: This sh*t gives me headache for love of god its hip inflexibility not ankle. Its actually really easy to get flexibel ankles but very hard to get range of motion out of hip flexors,quads, glutes, hamstrings, adductors. Simply need to look at olympic lifters who squat far lower then people usually do yet still somehow their knees dont shoot like rockets forward.

-Overthinking all the time. This is what i do all the time when it should be like this: when in doubt reduce exercises/frequency/volume

-Even small progress counts over time to big progress. Big picture, year long goals.

-Actually doing lift A to improve lift A instead of doing lift B and hoping/praying for results. Kinda like me benching, inclining etc bs instead of working towards that 100kg rep out push press that i want. My goal was 100kg for a single before summer, got 90 and lost sight of my goal and guess what... no progress.

-Overlap can be good thing in the right place such as upper back but extremely bad when getting overlap in erectors, glutes, hams -> cleans, heavy rows etc on upper body day. Chest supported rows are always better choice than free weight unfortunetly i dont have regular access.

-Overtraining does exist people are just too stupid to understand they need to do less to progress. Ive been to my old gym and the same skinny bastards that worked out there years ago still look the same. Everyone is eyeballing me now that ive grown alot especially back, legs, triceps, forearms.

-My biceps dont grow no matter what i do so i just give up. Wasting time on weakness like this will tap to recovery but do nothing for the lifts i want to improve. From now on just 1 pump set here and there to keep elbows healthy.

-Simpler the routine the more progress in strength and muscle mass wish i could go back in time 4 years ago and tell this to myself. Alot of powerlifters ive seen come in and do 1-2 exercises and leave and they are stronger and usually bigger than me.

-This is actually funny but i have yet to see anyone in real life with bigger legs than i have and didnt use steroids. There are guys who train at "certain" gym with "certain" people with very low bodyfat year round who have bigger legs.

These are the things ive learned but still forget sometimes. Im a dumbass but eventually i will get it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:30 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Heavy Press - day

Heavy drinking and partying yesterday but i slept like a baby and slept more while my friend was driving us home. I actually feel better than yesterday since i had glute tightness and spasming a bit but its all gone now.

I will try and keep my new years promise of not benching... bench really doesnt help my goals at all because i get tight in the rotators, biceps, front delts, chest and so flexibility especially overhead position deteriorates fast.

Push Press
30x10
40x5
50x3
60x3
70x3

Press
40x12, 8, 9

Upright Row
30x15, 15, 15

I will try to further improve form for push press and try to rest the bar properly on the delts at bottom and maybe able to use more of my legs to for the lift. Another thing is controlling the weight properly on eccentric portion since slowly lowering on dips and push press had direct carryover while repping out fast did nothing but grow more tricep mass/strength.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:43 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Pull day

Power Clean
40x3
50x3
60x3
70x3
75x3
80x3 nice little pr

Cable Row
60x20
80x20, 12, 13
still 5 reps to go before upping the weight even if i get 50 i could still work the form and do more reps until i up the weight.

Farmers Walk( 1 round ~ 20 meter )
47x4 rounds, 3 rounds, 4 rounds and with straps 7 rounds
next/last step 55,5kg db's after that im forced to work on more distance not a bad thing though.

Overhead Squat
10kgx10
20x10,10
30x10
30x8
20x8 closer grip

Everything seems to be going up steady except farmers going extremely good! After i noticed that i wasnt gripping properly with all fingers and started paying more attention to that my grip strength has gone up FAST!
Used the knee warmers the whole time on cleans and damn my knees feel good. I should be wearing them all the time.

I think the 350 method really clean up my bad habbit of doing whatever reps/sets and total volume so everything has a purpose and everything is moving up slowly instead of going up and down and all over the place.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:53 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Light Press

Push Press
30x10
40x10
50x10
55x9

Seated db curl
10kgx35

Overhead squat
20kgx10, 10
30x8,8, 10

Skipped uprights/strict press due to rotator cuff being a little beat up from yesterdays power cleans, started feeling pain under rear delts. I guess i have to go a bit lighter next time. This is also a sign that the rotator cuff limits proper rack position for push press, power clean and front squat.
I will adjust the assistance work as needed but definitely felt recovered enough to perform well with the push press. This will take a few months of making small adjustments but im sure it will work great!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:47 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Legs

Front Squat
40x10
60x10
80x3
90x3
100x3
110x3
120x3 psyched up with rammstein always works for personal records!
60x14,10, 8

SL Deadlift
60x10
100x10, 7, 7

The rack position feels fantastic! Huge improvement in flexibility due to practicing the push press with proper rack position. Predicting good improvement on front squat and carry-over to push press -> press. Rotator cuff feels a bit stretched on the rack position but i hope it wont get beat up because its just static hold.

A little experimenting going to start with leaving reps in tank and seeing how i feel. Today i felt alot better by leaving couple reps in tank rather than grinding to failure. Something to think about... grind one workout to total failure and get set back weeks or do good workouts for months.

Damn... again i forgot to overhead squat! I need to put a big note on wall or something...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:24 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Heavy press workout

Push Press
30x10
40x3
50x3
60x3
70x3
75x0

Press
40x13
40x6
40x7

had to skip uprights too much rc-fatigue/pain

Lateral raise
3x50
3x30

Leg Curl
15kgx45

Overhead squat
10kgx10
20x10
30x11,10, 10

Skipping power cleans this week and light next week. I dont want any unnecessary cuff stress nouuuuuuuuuu thanks.

Hamstrings are sore from 100kg straight-leg deadlift wtf? Stretching also quite painful especially the right side which i snapped somehow awhile ago. Deadlift nor straight-leg deadlift havent felt "right" ever since i snapped my right glute (should have lefts reps in tank).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next