Use BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) Calculator to calculate your resting calories and then go from there.BMR Calculators
Who ever came up with BMR Calculations should be horse whipped, then shot.
The room for error is enormous!
It amount to using a GPS system that determines your global position is somewhere in North America when you're lost.
Thus, you "Resting Caloric Expenditure" like the GPS analogy above is useless. Three Day Recall
This method provide you with a more effective method of determining what your "Daily Caloric Expenditure" is.
1) Count Calories for three days.
2) Divide the three day calorie intake by three days.
3) One of the three days measured need to be a weekend day, where you eating habits change.What It Determines
1) If you are gaining weight, the Three Day Recall tells you that you are taking in a surplus of calories.
2) If you are losing weight, it tell you that you are using more calories that you are consuming.
3) If your weight remains constant, that your burning the exact number of calories you are consuming.Based On That
Modify you caloric intake to gain or gain weight.
Do nothing to maintain weight.
Make sure you have enough protein going in as STU advised above.
Agreed...Muscle Protein Synthesis
Muscle Protein Synthesis = Maintaining and/or Increasing Muscle Mass.
Research shows (Drs Donald Layman and Layne Norton) that the minimal amount of protein per meal for Muscle Protein Synthesis is 30 gram of Quality Protein for those under 40 years old.
Those over 40 need over 40 grams of Quality Protein per serving.